Water filter mounted to fresh water tank.

Dbircky
Go to solution Solved by Dbircky,

When I bought my Camelot, the water filter bypass tube was installed.   I'd like to put a filter back in the same location.   Does anyone know what that part number is/was?   I'm looking at a couple of under sink type filers as a whole house filter canister (too wide) doesn't fit between the tank and door.    Thank you. 

20 minutes ago, Dbircky said:

When I bought my Camelot, the water filter bypass tube was installed.   I'd like to put a filter back in the same location.   Does anyone know what that part number is/was?   I'm looking at a couple of under sink type filers as a whole house filter canister (too wide) doesn't fit between the tank and door.    Thank you. 

It was a filter that was discontinued, but made by a major vendor.  Name escapes me.  I contacted the vendor and got some spare O-Rings and still have them.

NOTHING SPECIAL about it.  You can install any "whole house" filter in there.  The filter did NOT have one of the fancy "BYPASS" valves.

You want a plain filter....nothing fancy....just a head or housing and a bowl (with wrench) underneath. The LEFT (Front side) will need a fitting (straight) that will fit the winged front fitting. The rear, I THINK, will need a 90 deg fitting.  Monaco intended that when you chlorinated or sanitized or winterized the system, you installed the simple bypass.  I do that annually when I winterize. 

SO, find a housing that will mount.  You MIGHT have to find an RV one with a bracket.  Most of the home style depend on the hard plumbing holding the filter. Since this filter has fittings (for the winged style joints) and uses PEX, then a bracket will be a must to mount it topside.  

ONE option might be to use CPVC fittings and a short length of pipe on each side.  THEN, use some "conduit or pipe" "C" clamps to mount it.  Then run short PEX pieces to the bottom or the front.  You can THEN unscrew the filter there and put in the bypass line.

That's it....  Do some looking....  It really looks like a Home Filter...with a housing that has a molded in bracket with 2 screws.  Maybe a 2008 or newer member can shoot you a picture...  but, at least on mine, the filter housing was discontinued.  It was the result of a down turn in the RV supplier market....

OK.....curioisty....  This is what mine, approximately....Looks like. OUCH on the $225  cost.  It ain't nothing exotic....except overprices....  BUT, it gives you an idea of what the OEM looked like...

https://www.hydroviv.com/collections/hydroviv-water-filters

Their $225 filter uses, I think, Standard Whole House Filters.  WORDS OF CAUTION.  Many folk thought that they needed ULTRAFILTRATION and bought all the exotic and high priced filters. OPPS....they had NO INTERNAL WATER PRESSURE. I use the cheapest Carbon (the mesh style) filer (whole house from Amazon or Lowes) in the Camelot.  The ONLY reason I use the Charcoal is it eliminates heavily over chlorinated taste.  At Home, I use the cheapest "Foam" Filter.

You DO need a 5 GPM (Household flow) filter as the RV55 Pump puts that out.....  If you get the upper ends, the pressure drop will make the water flow like a trickle.

I WOULD look around....$225 seems HIGH for a filter.  The BRACKETS are the needed item for mounting since you have PEX.  This one....is only $30....  A little enginuity and figuring out how to put some rigid pieces of CPVC on the inlet and outlet and mounting it with PEX Extenders where the fittings were towards the bottom would work...

https://www.amazon.com/FLOW-PURWATT-FH4200WW12-RV-Replacement-Housing/dp/B00C5SW24W/ref=asc_df_B00C5SW24W/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309832973926&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=2993596564057031469&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9009731&hvtargid=pla-598716758124&mcid=58bcbdb2743d33dab1f2440b4e8ec9d3&gclid=Cj0KCQjwzZmwBhD8ARIsAH4v1gUM5xOfqlrfYeRDZfzTGAIja99QNC71qvXAivp95B6LAE0qbnSJrFoaAtxhEALw_wcB&th=1

Thank you Tom.    I had an idea that I would be fabricating something.    Didn't think of using an under sink filter instead of the whole house.    I have 3 1/4 inches between the tank and the door.    A whole house filter canister was to wide.   I can't move the tank in anymore because of the aqua hot mounted on the passenger side of the bay.  

Thanks again for the idea on an under sink filter.  I'm on a cistern at home so very familiar with filter's restrictions on flow.   We mounted ours before the pressure tank to reduce the restriction.  

This filter can be wall mounted anywhere in the coach, and the cartridges are standard 4.5"x10" available at most outlets (HD, Lowes, etc.)  I mounted in the adjacent bay, with a backer plate for vibration resistance.  Use Pex-B because vibration may crack CPVC or PVC if not perfectly strapped down.  

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GBZ83HH/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A1T0M1TJHCGEMZ&psc=1 

I use a 10 micron sediment filter and 5 micron carbon (coconut) filter and depending on the water you either get 6 mos. or less per set.

High-Quality Water Filters | 100 GPD and 2-Stage 10 System (123filter.com)

My suggestion is to get a filter assembly with a built in bypass valve.  Being able turn the filter off allows you to change the filter without turning off the water.  Using the bypass position allows you to winterize without wasting the "pink stuff" in the housing as well as preserving the filter if it is not ready for a change.  I've installed this type of filter in my '98 Endeavor and now my '10 Neptune.  It is also a Watts brand and accepts standard replacement filters available anywhere as well as a selection of filters (sediment, carbon, etc.) depending on your water quality.  It is not difficult to fabricate a bracket since it can not be mounted as a typical top mount.

Adam

2010 Neptune 37PDQ

image.thumb.jpeg.5084a7f95e754f544aed8fe7bcd10dc6.jpeg

6 hours ago, lake49068 said:

My suggestion is to get a filter assembly with a built in bypass valve.  Being able turn the filter off allows you to change the filter without turning off the water.  Using the bypass position allows you to winterize without wasting the "pink stuff" in the housing as well as preserving the filter if it is not ready for a change.  I've installed this type of filter in my '98 Endeavor and now my '10 Neptune.  It is also a Watts brand and accepts standard replacement filters available anywhere as well as a selection of filters (sediment, carbon, etc.) depending on your water quality.  It is not difficult to fabricate a bracket since it can not be mounted as a typical top mount.

Adam

2010 Neptune 37PDQ

image.thumb.jpeg.5084a7f95e754f544aed8fe7bcd10dc6.jpeg

This is sort of like FORD vs CHEVY in a Pickup competition.  I have had MISERABLE results with the Bypass Style.  I really do NOT have hard water at home.  My well is great and no issues.  BUT, the Bypass style has failed and I gave up (they were top of the line Whirlpool) and now only use a NON-Bypass one.

SO, if one often camps where the water has minerals and is hard....I would be skeptical.

However, regardless of the type (Bypass or NOT), the lowest (cheapest) filter cartridge will be the preferred one...as the more "ultra filtration", the quicker they clog up ...and you will have NO pressure.  Now, in my house...  I can just about pressure wash from my 15 GPM deep well pump.

BUT, the RV55 (originally AquaTech...and now Remco) does NOT have the capacity to overcome a high pressure drop in a whole house.  Simple physics...

That's my experience...and others will differ and the circumstances are often the issues....

20 years using a bypass filter without issues plus enjoyed the benefits.  Just got back to Michigan, snow forecast for tomorrow so winterized and happy to speed up the procedure using the filter's bypass feature.

2     Tees

2     90 deg elbows, PEX-B

4     ball valves, PEX-B

2     1 in. male to 1/2 in. female PVC schedule 40 reducer bushing

2     1/2" male NPT to PEX-B barb

20    PEX-B rings (match to above)

1 wall mounted filter with bracket https://www.homedepot.com/p/ISPRING-Anti-Scale-Whole-House-Water-Filter-with-Patented-Scale-Inhibitor-4-5-in-x-10-in-WDS80K/312785397

Or better: https://www.homedepot.com/p/ISPRING-2-Stage-Whole-House-Water-Filtration-System-with-4-5-in-x-10-in-Sediment-and-Carbon-Block-Filters-WGB21B/306185026

image.thumb.png.66b37aaf960b6db5fdc8e4b3226302c9.png

Rated for up to 16,000 Gallons @ 3 GPM (10u carbon block)

• Solution

Thanks again Dan.   I found this under sink one in the Amazon.   The filter is good for 5,000 gallons.  As I also use a whole house filter to fill the tank, or use anyone's water hookups, this should last me a year.   (Belt & Suspenders approach) Thanks to everyone for your advice.   Must say I'm amazed by the room some of you have for multiple filters.  I didn't want to run more water lines and this works fine as a direct replacement.    Came with fittings and all adapters.  I velcroed it to the tank.    The towel underneath was to check for leaks.   Everything tight after 600 miles.   
THANKS AGAIN!

IMG_3400.jpeg