99 Executive M11 Low Boost

Update on the turbo swap, finally got the new manifold monday, got everything back together yesterday evening, started it up sounds great, everything looked good and took it for a spin.  Makes more boost there is just a small little hill in front of my house and I think I saw about 20 lbs but when the boost kicks in it makes a horrible noise, sounds like a skillsaw trying to cut through metal.  I guess I should have bought a new turbo instead of a reman?  The video doesn't do it justice, its not any kind of air leak, sounds kinda like a train whistle on the video but it's different, definitely something rubbing in the turbo when it makes boost.  The turbo they sent me had a little play in the wheel, I was comparing it to the old one when it came in and the old one definitely had more and I assumed it was okay but it did notice it.  This is my first experience with a turbo.  I spun it and it felt fine everything looked brand new.  I know there was nothing it the intake tube or anything like that and if so it would have made the noise as soon as I started it up I would think.  I called turbos direct and they said I had to take it off and inspect see if any damage and then have to send it to holset for them to check.  I wasn't too happy about that and just ordered a new turbo, I've been down for over a month and I ain't waiting on all that.  If they say it was my fault or whatever and won't cover it still don't change the fact that its got to be changed imo.  I just don't see that it could be anything else, only does it under boost and the turbo is the only thing different that has moving parts.  UGH...  I dread having to do all that again!

IMG_9511.JPG

IMG_9506.JPG

IMG_9534.JPG

IMG_9460.JPG

IMG_9524.JPG

IMG_9470.JPG

IMG_9501.JPG

Yup, sucks. I would still send it back and once a replacement is back in hand post it for sale to recover at least a good portion of your money

• Like 1

Have you checked the clearance tolerance and back-forth of the impeller? I know it sucks but only way to know is to take a look at the intake side of the turbo. It's no VGT and not even a wastegate from the looks of it, simple as it gets as long as it gets oil in those bushings.

• Like 2

I haven't taken the exhaust side loose yet but the intake side looks fine, no metal anywhere, impeller has a little up and down almost more than I think it should but I haven't checked it with dial indicator to see how much it has exactly and when it came in and I was looking it over I felt like it might be a little too much but ive never fooled with a turbo before, it came from holset so I was assuming it was fine.  The impeller spins freely seems fine, nothing has touched on the front side of the turbo.  I didn't change the oil lines but they looked fine to me, I may order a new supply line just to be safe but I think it was oiling fine as much as I let it idle and run if it wasn't oiling I think it would show and it sounds completely fine at idle and up to about 3-5 lbs of boost but after that it makes that wild noise.  When the turbo came in, it was not in the same position as mine so I had to loosen a couple of the bands and turn it to match mine but I had to do that otherwise it wouldn't have gone back together, I tightened them back to the same as they were when I got them in the right spot.  I'll finish taking it back off tomorrow and see how the exhaust side looks...

Got the turbo back off and after looking it over better looks like the excessive play was allowing it to move over under boost and rub the inside of the housing.  In the pics you can see some marks and fine metal pieces.  The new turbo came in and it doesn't have the same amount of play so hopefully this one will be good to go.  The warranty guy from turbos direct called me Thursday evening and seemed pretty cool about everything so hopefully they will refund me on the first one.  

unnamed2.jpg

unnamed (8).jpg

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Got the new turbo on and everything seems to be good this go around, no wild squealing noises or anything lol.  Going to the races Friday so we'll see how it does pulling the trailer but I think it's good to go now.  Hopefully they will refund me on the first turbo!  I have a transmission line that is leaking a little that I am going to replace next, I don't think it will be too bad looks like it will be really easy to get to.  There is a place close by that makes hydraulic hoses.  The only other thing is the buzzer on the hydraulics, I'll probably make a new post about it.  It used to work fine, if the jacks were down or not all the way up it would beep, but the last few years it just beeps all the time unless you make a left hand turn and it will quit for a few seconds or if the road is banked where the right side is lower.  It's not low on fluid and I have no idea where the sensor is, I didn't see anything on the tank.  The vent line was stopped up and I fixed that but still just beeps all the time.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Latest update on the turbo swap.  It pulled great, the best it ever has but the most boost I saw was around 21-22, maybe I also have some leaks in the CAC, I think all the flexible hoses are fine. Also, I wonder if the computer/tune could be limiting it on max boost?  Maybe the guy that had it before me had it turned down?  There is guy up the road that can connect to the ecu I think so I may try to get him to check that out.  If thats all it makes its better than before because the most I ever remember seeing was 18 and it had fell off to like 10-12 on hills.  So am really pleased with how it runs now, new muffler is not too loud but it is louder sounds great to me.  The only issue is at idle I can feel a little vibration/hear some rattles but as soon as you touch the gas it goes completely away and is quite and smooth.  Much better than before, I think the vibration is the way I have the new muffler mounted, its not completely solid, you can see in the pics above how I mounted it.  I just used the old brackets and just bent them up some and shorten them, I need to come up something better on that.

On the refund of the reman, that's not going so good, they denied my claim said nothing was wrong.  I have attached the report they sent.  I thought I had also sent them the close up pic of the impeller and the video of it making the noise but I hadn't so I sent that to them and waiting to hear back on that.  They said they would put it back together for free and send it back but I couldn't sell that to someone knowing what its going to do.  I guess they have no way of testing the turbos under boost like conditions???  Hopefully they will change their mind.  Here is a link to the youtube video I sent them.

WarrantyInspectionReport-22941.pdf

It sounds like you are making progress. Hopefully they will acknowledge the turbo was defective and do the right thing. I have to wonder why there is such a difference in boost reported by owners. Most are saying boost in the low 30's. As I posted earlier, I saw 32# when above 6000' elevation, however when in the Midwest below 1500', it tops out at 42#. I don't know the history of my coach other than the big restrictive muffler has been replaced with a small straight through resonator type.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cbr046 said:

"They say" boost is air, and without additional injected fuel there's no real gain.  Hopefully the boost is inline with the ECM fuel map for your year and engine.

I run 22-25 FWIW.  2003 ISC engine.

- bob

I have to assume that the fuel is available for the volume of air from 42# of boost. The engine runs free at all speeds and will hold 1400 rpm on long hills where my former 450 ISL would have downshifted once or twice, although I try to manually downshift on the very long inclines to keep the EGT inline. I really need to get a pyrometer to ease my mind. 

• Like 1

After watching the video they said it was a boost leak and still nothing wrong with the turbo and sending it back.  Its absolutely metal on metal contact noise and there was fine metal in the intake side.  At least they got a good cussing, there is no way I can sell that with a clear conscience and try to get some of my money back.  I guess I just have some spare Holset HX55 parts if anyone needs anything.  How disappointing, I bought a new one from them, if it's completely fine then resell and give my money back lol.  Oh well 😞

• Like 1