Install bedroom door

John C
Go to solution Solved by Dr4Film,

For whatever reason, my "new" 2007 Dynasty does not have door for the bedroom. it doesn't look like the previous owner has removed anything either.

I just bought a new door and the hardware to hang the door, I also bought the sliding door hardware :

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0026T53U0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

I have a few questions :

1) What is the thickness of the plywood behind the vinyl(leather) calling? , is the plywood strong enough to hold a solid pine door?

2) If the plywood is not strong enough, is there are metal on top of the ceiling I can mount the hardware too?

3) Because the bedroom door is not a pocket door (unlike another door) How do I prevent the door from sliding back and forth when driving? could someone show me how they bedroom door works

Thank you so much!

20240411_150907.jpg

My guess is the person who placed the order from the factory chose not to have a sliding bedroom door as the brochure shows one in the floor-plan.

I would simply use a sliding pin on the end of the door near the floor that would enter the wooden track mounted to the floor which provides a guide for the door bottom.

I have pocket doors in that location, one on both sides that meet in the middle.  I assume the width of the door your purchased will span the width but not be protruding when open. 

In my case it looks like they mounted a piece of wood that the track attaches to.  You might be able to take advantage of the cabinet on one side and then use some sort of anchor on the other side so you don't have rely solely on the ceiling structure. 

My door uses a slider latch on the bottom that holds the door closed while traveling.  Look at Lowes or Home Depot to see what they have available. 

Good luck, these types of modifications can be tricky.

2 hours ago, jacwjames said:

I have pocket doors in that location, one on both sides that meet in the middle.  I assume the width of the door your purchased will span the width but not be protruding when open. 

In my case it looks like they mounted a piece of wood that the track attaches to.  You might be able to take advantage of the cabinet on one side and then use some sort of anchor on the other side so you don't have rely solely on the ceiling structure. 

My door uses a slider latch on the bottom that holds the door closed while traveling.  Look at Lowes or Home Depot to see what they have available. 

Good luck, these types of modifications can be tricky.

Could you please take a picture on the "a piece of wood that the track attaches to"? That will really help.

Thank you!

3 hours ago, Dr4Film said:

My guess is the person who placed the order from the factory chose not to have a sliding bedroom door as the brochure shows one in the floor-plan.

I would simply use a sliding pin on the end of the door near the floor that would enter the wooden track mounted to the floor which provides a guide for the door bottom.

Do you have a picture of the a "sliding pin"?

Thank you.

19 hours ago, John C said:

Could you please take a picture on the "a piece of wood that the track attaches to"? That will really help.

Thank you!

Do you have a picture of the a "sliding pin"?

Thank you.

They are called a flush sliding dead bolt lock.  Davis Cabinets in Oregon made lots of cabinets for Monaco. Used them to lock galley drawers and the dishwasher drawers had one too.

Screenshot_20240412_171115_Google.jpg

• Like 1

Hello John, 

Attached are some pictures from my 2006 Dynasty Diamond IV bedroom door installation from the factory. It is a sliding door (similar to a pocket door) attached to an upper track. There is a lower track that guides the door into the stowed position and a lower lock pin which locks the door in the stowed position for travel (again similar function to the front pocket door).

IMG_20240412_125142849.jpg

IMG_20240412_125149746.jpg

IMG_20240412_125121952.jpg

IMG_20240412_125127932.jpg

IMG_20240412_125157209.jpg

IMG_20240412_125235150.jpg

10 minutes ago, det944 said:

Hello John, 

Attached are some pictures from my 2006 Dynasty Diamond IV bedroom door installation from the factory. It is a sliding door (similar to a pocket door) attached to an upper track. There is a lower track that guides the door into the stowed position and a lower lock pin which locks the door in the stowed position for travel (again similar function to the front pocket door).

Thank you for the pictures. that helps a lot!

1 hour ago, det944 said:

Maybe one of the RV salvage yards like Visone may have the entire door assembly for your Coach. Here's a pic of the door in the stowed position.

IMG_20240412_125106677.jpg

Yes, I did check many salvage yard, none of them had it, one yard had something one door has slightly different style  was asking $400 including shipping, I bought an solid bare pine door from local store for $175 (almost identical to my other door), now the challenge is to stain the new door to make the color similar to the other door. I already got the custom stain,pre-stain,seal from the paint shop. Hopefully the color won't be that off that much after I stain it.

• Like 1

John,

I hadn't had time to get any pictures but my pocket door track is mounted the same.   Monaco put a trim piece on either side to dress up the ceiling, this is removeable to be able to access the door to adjust and remove if necessary.   Keep that in mine as you are installing yours!!!

The original doors are very well made and solid wood, in my case Walnut.  One option would have been to contact a cabinet shop and had them duplicate with the species of wood work you have but it would have been expensive.  And it still would have been difficult to match the patina of the wood as it aged.  Lumber prices have gone crazy.  So the $400 is probably a decent price to get something that matches. 

Edited by jacwjames

5 hours ago, birdshill123 said:

On out 08 Diamond 4 there are 2 pocket doors. One at the entrance to the bedroom and one between the walk thru bath and the living area. Each door has on "bolt" at the bottom. There are holes in the floor.

hmm, interesting, I thought  I only need one bolt on the left side when the door is opened.

Questions, when you lock, don't you need at least one inch space to put your finger there to lock the bolt? does that means when you lock on the right side (when the door is closed from inside the bedroom) the door is not totally closed but with one or more inch space?
Please advise.

Thank you.

38 minutes ago, birdshill123 said:

DR.4 film posted a picture of the latch. You need to rout out the door. It mounts at the bottom.  Sorry. I have a picture but did not know how to add it. DR.4film's pic is nice and large.

Could you please post a link to DR.4 film's post? I searched and could find anything.

Thank you

2 hours ago, birdshill123 said:

John. The photo is in this thread. 

Unfortunately those doesn't show the bottom where the two Flush sliding dead bolt lock are installed...

On 4/12/2024 at 5:37 PM, det944 said:

Hello John, 

@det944 Could you please show me two pictures where the Flush sliding dead bolt locks are installed? according to @birdshill123 there are two Flush sliding dead bolt locks installed, I understand I need one the left side(look from the inside the bedroom)  when the door is open and I need to lock the door in opened position but not sure about the one on the right hand side(look from inside the bedroom)

Thank you very much.

John

On 4/13/2024 at 5:49 AM, jacwjames said:

John,

I hadn't had time to get any pictures but my pocket door track is mounted the same.   Monaco put a trim piece on either side to dress up the ceiling, this is removeable to be able to access the door to adjust and remove if necessary.   Keep that in mine as you are installing yours!!!

The original doors are very well made and solid wood, in my case Walnut.  One option would have been to contact a cabinet shop and had them duplicate with the species of wood work you have but it would have been expensive.  And it still would have been difficult to match the patina of the wood as it aged.  Lumber prices have gone crazy.  So the $400 is probably a decent price to get something that matches. 

unfortunately the $400.00 door is the same style as my other door, it is different.

Here is my new $200.00 door, looks identical to my other door, now I just need to sand, stain and seal it.

20240416_091421.jpg

Hello John,

The 1st two photos are of the lower Flush sliding dead bolt lock installation for locking the door in the open position for travel. This is similar to the ones posted by Richard. Photos 3-6 are of the latch that holds the door in the closed position. My MH also has these same Flush sliding dead bolt lock and latch on the pocket door between the kitchen and shower area. Hope this helps.

IMG_20240416_204217741.jpg

IMG_20240416_204235224.jpg

IMG_20240416_204336106.jpg

IMG_20240416_204341446.jpg

IMG_20240416_204344582.jpg

IMG_20240416_204408594.jpg

56 minutes ago, det944 said:

Hello John,

The 1st two photos are of the lower Flush sliding dead bolt lock installation for locking the door in the open position for travel. This is similar to the ones posted by Richard. Photos 3-6 are of the latch that holds the door in the closed position. My MH also has these same Flush sliding dead bolt lock and latch on the pocket door between the kitchen and shower area. Hope this helps.

IMG_20240416_204217741.jpg

IMG_20240416_204235224.jpg

IMG_20240416_204336106.jpg

IMG_20240416_204341446.jpg

IMG_20240416_204344582.jpg

IMG_20240416_204408594.jpg

@det944 Thank you for the quick response. I totally misunderstood, I thought you have two Flush sliding dead bolt locks one on each side at the bottom, that is why I didn't understand. Looks like you only have one Flush sliding dead bolt lock and one pocket door lock, that is exactly what I thought it should be.

Quick question, since there is a corner(4" please see attached in red circle )at the end of the door (when closed) the door is 30", when you close the door, the door will hit the corner and still have 4" outside in the doorway.

Could you please confirm that is the case?

Thanks again.

IMG_20240412_125149746.jpg.1dcb53657ac8ab79f874c8649eb286fd.jpg

What you have circled is a stop covered with carpet. This limits the travel of the door in the stowed position. When stowed the inbd edge of the door is flush with the cabinetry.

Just now, det944 said:

What you have circled is a stop covered with carpet. This limits the travel of the door in the stowed position. When stowed the inbd edge of the door is flush with the cabinetry.

As shown in my 1st group of pics.

8 hours ago, det944 said:

As shown in my 1st group of pics.

Now I know why, because my coach doesn't come with a door, so my coach has a corner much higher than that of yours. If I don't do anything, the 30" door will be 4" over the cabinetry. Looks like I will have to cut the corner so the door can move 4" extra inside toward the wall.

Thank you!