Install bedroom door

John C
Go to solution Solved by Dr4Film,

I measured my door....29" ....so not much difference. Notching the door would provide clearance but if you install a lower guide like the factory, it could cause alignment issues on the lower track when stowing the door. I like Jim's thought to see if that box on yours can be removed modified or replaced to allow the door more travel. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jacwjames said:

Can you see if there is any wiring etc run in that box or is it just a filler piece??  Could it be cut down a little??  Possibly removed and replaced with a wood covering and stained to match the door. 

I believe it is a filler, of course I won't know until I open it.

The box is over 4" in height, so I will have to cut it for the door to move all the way in.

The only thing is I just installed vinyl floor on it, will have to remove it, cut it and put it back.

20240417_173542.jpg

20240417_175149.jpg

16 hours ago, John C said:

Now I know why, because my coach doesn't come with a door, so my coach has a corner much higher than that of yours. If I don't do anything, the 30" door will be 4" over the cabinetry. Looks like I will have to cut the corner so the door can move 4" extra inside toward the wall.

Thank you!

This confirms what I had suggested earlier in that the original owner must have made a custom change to the coach when it was built requesting no door in that location.

12 hours ago, John C said:

I believe it is a filler, of course I won't know until I open it.

The box is over 4" in height, so I will have to cut it for the door to move all the way in.

The only thing is I just installed vinyl floor on it, will have to remove it, cut it and put it back.

Can you look in the cabinet next to it and see if there are any wires or pipe going to that corner and out. 

1 hour ago, Dr4Film said:

This confirms what I had suggested earlier in that the original owner must have made a custom change to the coach when it was built requesting no door in that location.

Yes, you are correct. There is no marks or holes on the ceiling, no door has been installed there before. Monaco must have built that box for the look.

1 hour ago, jacwjames said:

Can you look in the cabinet next to it and see if there are any wires or pipe going to that corner and out. 

The cabinet next to it is for washer & dryer, lot of wire pipes and hoses, again, no washer & dryer was ever installed. When I bought it it was a cabinet with 3 shelf boards, When I opened the wall, I found out it was washer & dryer ready, all connections already there, I just installed new washer & dryer and cut the vent for the dryer.

It is very hard to tell from the washer & dryer cabinet(also It will take a lot of effort to disconnect & remove washer & dryer), it will be easier just to open the box from the bedroom.

I just remove the Valid 6 Packs & 4 Pack  Valve manifolds to clean it up, waiting so airline elbows to arrive. I couldn't pump the air bags up until I put those back. without air bag pumped up I don't want to extend the slide out right now

I should be able to put Valid Valve manifolds back next week. I can then open box and cut it for the door, I will relocate the wire or pipe if there are any there.

I have the Dynasty Palace III with a full wall slide on drivers side. It has a swinging door that must be open to close the slide in to the bedroom. I also has you sliding door from the bedroom to the bathroom that has the same floor lock to keep it open when traveling.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just opened the box, to my surprise, the are bunch of wires just on top of the carpet.

Because it is hidden, I guess Monaco worker just took a shortcut and lay the wire on top of the carpet and cover the wires with the box.

Because I have already install plywood on top of the plywood, I just install the vinyl plank on top of the plywood and that just high enough to cover the wires.

Just got the door stained, too bad the color doesn't match, (I did take a piece of wood from the coach to the paint store and asked them to match it, looks like they did a terrible job matching it!).

Wasted a lot of time sanding, pre-staining, staining the door, should have only done one small area on the door first. Guess I trusted the paint store too much.

Have to do it again!

20240427_093954.jpg

20240427_095916.jpg

20240428_082533.jpg

• Like 1

Glad you found the wires and didn't damage them.  I was thinking there might be the potential as I have a box covering plumbing and wiring in my bathroom.  But you came up with an elegant solution, looks good. 

From experience it is very hard to match stains, it is more of an art then a science. 

Have you already put a clear coat on it?  If not you might be able to play with a darker stain to get it to match. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, jacwjames said:

Glad you found the wires and didn't damage them.  I was thinking there might be the potential as I have a box covering plumbing and wiring in my bathroom.  But you came up with an elegant solution, looks good. 

From experience it is very hard to match stains, it is more of an art then a science. 

Have you already put a clear coat on it?  If not you might be able to play with a darker stain to get it to match. 

I have not applied seal yet!

I thought once you stain it you can't stain again because the wood is already saturated with stain, just Googled, and found out that if you apply pre-stain conditioner on top of the stain, it does let you do that.

Thank you!

12 minutes ago, jacwjames said:

Did you apply a water based stain?

Did you have to trim the door at all before you installed.  If you have a scrap piece already stained play with it to try and get close to the correct color. 

What is the wood you have in the coach now>>> Cherry???? 

I applied oil base wood conditioner and oil stain.

Unfortunately the door is pine. That is probably one of the reasons why the color doesn't match.

I will leave door and a piece of molding(from the coach) there at the paint shop and I already sand one big area on the door.

I will ask the paint shop and ask them to apply some matched stain on the door to check the color .