ISM Radiator Hoses

Go to solution Solved by Venturer,

I do not know the coolant history of our 2006 Executive. One of the radiator hoses looks suspicious, so out of caution, I would like to replace coolant and all of the hoses. I've located Gates part numbers used on a 2005 Navigator, but wonder if that configuration would be the same for our 06 Executive? I would like to have all in hand before I take it in for this service to save time. Thanks 

Are they soft and mushy in places? If not then why replace them?

All of the coolant hoses are still original except for two small places that were replaced on my previous Windsor.

Don't know the history of the coolant hoses on our Dynasty but I check them occasionally.

It's more for "peace of mind". If I drain and replace the antifreeze, it would be an ideal time to replace the hoses and not have to wonder about them while I own the coach.   

• Like 2

If you have a Cummins engine contact the. With your engine serial #. Ther typically several small hoses around the engine that should be replaced as well. The hoses from engine to Radiator n back to engine  are typically supplied by coach manufacturers, so.e ca.e be standard industry hoses and or random lengths of stock hose lengths. Just make sure they are coolant hoses not fuel. Also the marine industry suppliers can have them as well.

• Like 1

I found my hoses at the NAPA Truck parts. They have a book of Hose and I found all of my 90deg bend hoses were the same. Then I just got a 3 ft length of Kenworth straight hose for the several straight couplings. 5 elbows and 3 straight pieces as I recall. Ended up going to a couple of stores to get them but the install was pretty simple. I replaced mine after blowing a top radiator hose (an elbow) on memorial day on I-10. Was back on the road 90 minutes later with the new hose installed and the same type of fluid in the radiator (Prestone command purple).replaced the remaining at the next week long stop. NAPA rocks!

• Like 2

It’s not a bad idea to replace the hose clamps also, just make sure you get HD Truck hose clamps, constant torque clamps are usually available at HD Truck parts dealers, Peterbilt, Kenworth, ect, , jmo.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Venturer said:

Thanks to all. I was hoping to come up with hoses before the switch to save time in the shop but looks like I might have to get them off first and match with new. 

I have an 2008 ISL, so Mine will probably be different than the ISM, But I was able to measure (most) of my hoses beforehand (there was one straight hose that I didn't find until I was taking everything off.). My hoses were 2.5" diameter (Yours could be different). I found all my hoses the same diameter and the coolant path was composed of several metal tubes with rubber being used only if the run was short or there was a bend involved. All my bends were close to 90 degrees. I was able to measure the arm length of the bend and how far the metal tube was inside the rubber bend to ensure that every bend was similar (AGAIN, Yours may differ). I believe it might be worth crawling under the rig and checking. The coolant hoses should all be over 2" for the main path. Smaller if you use engine coolant for the front heater core.(I did not replace my heater hoses).

good luck.

Summit racing has an excellent search function for radiator hoses (and other stuff like brake hoses) based on size, length etc.  You can check your numbers against what's on there currently, may need to cross reference your numbers to gates first.  That will give you a confirmation of the sizes of the numbers you have, or the search can find a hose that matches, or one you can cut your needed hose out of.  If you're replacing proactively, go with gates or other top names, don't go replacing OEM hoses with no name china hoses. 

• Solution
1 hour ago, Paul J A said:

The Navigator, Executive and Signature share the same Roadmaster chassis. 

They all had the ISM as the standard Engine in 2006. 

That's what I was hoping for, as I found those part numbers for an 05 Navigator. Hope the year difference doesn't matter. Thanks to all.  

On 5/6/2024 at 2:49 PM, Venturer said:

That's what I was hoping for, as I found those part numbers for an 05 Navigator. Hope the year difference doesn't matter. Thanks to all.  

Hopefully those part numbers work for yours too! If not, it should be pretty straightforward to find replacements before taking the old ones off.

On a car, every hose is special and needs to be ordered by P/N for that application. But as far as I can tell, not like that on motorhomes. Each hose is just a certain length with at most, a single bend. And pretty much all the same ID.

On my isl/dynasty, folks discovered that if you buy two certain hoses for a semi-truck, you can cut those two hoses into all of the angles and straight sections needed, without having to buy a separate hose for each location. It would work just as well to get separate hoses, but cheaper and less waste to just buy the two.

So, rather than trying to find specific part numbers for your application, you could measure the length on either side of a bend and look for hoses like Benjamin suggested on Summit. They should have hoses listed by ID, angle and length of each leg. Make sure they're at least as long as you need and then cut down to fit.

• Like 1