What if they "total loss" your motorhome?

Good day, we posted in one of forums, pictures of our Monaco Dynasty crash  in Bakersfield this week. where a large pickup truck wiped most if our our left side. Amazingly, all the systems on the rig still work and we drove it back to Phoenix. Insurance now is telling us that we're looking at a potential total loss. We want to keep the rig and repair it. We have a 1998 Monaco dynasty 42 foot long Duke layout with no slides, 142,000 miles, But we put many upgrades in it.New satellite dish, we love the old walnut wood cabinetey also .Let's say the value is $25,000.  i've been told it's gonna cost more than $30,000 to repair it? Anything for us to watch out for as we negotiate with insurance? Also, attaching a great picture.We took of the RV.The day of the crash. Its the last picture with it intact.

Any advice always appreciated.

20240521_151102.jpg

20240521_142634.jpg

20240522_192106.jpg

20240521_182127.jpg

20240521_095713.jpg

Negotiate, negotiate, and negotiate some more until you feel you have arrived at a fair price including the upgrades.

Then buy the coach back offering them a deeply discounted offer.

• Like 2

.I like your response.We're in real estate.It reminds me of location location location.We will take your advice at heart and follow through

32 minutes ago, Dr4Film said:

Negotiate, negotiate, and negotiate some more until you feel you have arrived at a fair price including the upgrades.

Then buy the coach back offering them a deeply discounted offer.

What happens with the title when insurance totals it?  Does that present a problem for future sale?

• Like 1

That's a concern.I have also. I have read that if you buy it back.You have a salvage title.  harder to get insurance, and companies will not insure it for over that price. A salvage title would have to  affect future resale. We're not as worried about that.When we bought the rig, a guy told us ".I hope you like it cause you'll never sell it again with no slides." . But we're comfortable with that. We really don't need the extra space.We like the lighter weight of a rig with no slides, more efficiency when heating and cooling,  and nothing to break when you retract them, And the full floor plan of the rig is always available.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Preston W said:

Good day, we posted in one of forums, pictures of our Monaco Dynasty crash  in Bakersfield this week. where a large pickup truck wiped most if our our left side. Amazingly, all the systems on the rig still work and we drove it back to Phoenix. Insurance now is telling us that we're looking at a potential total loss. We want to keep the rig and repair it. We have a 1998 Monaco dynasty 42 foot long Duke layout with no slides, 142,000 miles, But we put many upgrades in it.New satellite dish, we love the old walnut wood cabinetey also .Let's say the value is $25,000.  i've been told it's gonna cost more than $30,000 to repair it? Anything for us to watch out for as we negotiate with insurance? Also, attaching a great picture.We took of the RV.The day of the crash. Its the last picture with it intact.

20240521_151102.jpg

20240521_142634.jpg

20240522_192106.jpg

20240521_182127.jpg

20240521_095713.jpg

Agree with the gist.

I’d approach it as follows.

First, you are going to need salvage parts.  The panels and compartment doors were also custom molded or fabricated for Monaco.  I’d get an estimate from a bus/RV body shop.  I’d also verify the sourcing or availability of the salvaged parts.  

Odds are….MY Shade Tree opinion, that the rear panel where the taillight is, can be, not essiky, but can be repaired.  Folks can work miracles.  But the rest??  Also, even though the wheel marks look superficial….verify.  So, NOW you have a solid number.

Concurrent with that, there are “Professional” Appraisers that will, for a fee, give you a “this is what it is really worth” number.  Some even work or will negotiate with the claims adjuster.  We wanted Liquidated Damages for a new vehicle, which is not commonly paid, but can be negotiated.  Our appraiser took on the job and actually did the negotiations.  Paid him for the appraisal and his time….very fair….he got us 7 times what we paid him.

SO…a professional that understands how the system works is great….far cheaper than bringing a lawsuit against an insurance company.

Good Luck….

• Like 1

The accident will be filed and there is nothing you can do about it but the title doesn't necessarily have to change if you keep it. Something to negotiate with insurance company if you keep it and don't let them take it. Don't know about your state laws but it worked with my wife's truck.

• Like 2

Good advice.  I wouldn't look into a lawsuit at all. It could cost in legal fees, that a new coach is worth!  We take it in to the body shop next week for their estimate. Insurance tells me they should have a decision on coverage before that.  

2 minutes ago, Ivan K said:

The accident will be filed and there is nothing you can do about it but the title doesn't necessarily have to change if you keep it. Something to negotiate with insurance company if you keep it and don't let them take it. Don't know about your state laws but it worked with my wife's truck.

I was wondering about that. I'll add that to my negotiating list.  A salvage title can't be good

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, windsorbill06 said:

What happens with the title when insurance totals it?  Does that present a problem for future sale?

I guess in may depend on the state. It generally turns into a "Salvage Title". However. I have owned two cars with Salvage Titles both in California and registered in California, then Alaska and finally Florida. Eventually sold both in Florida and the new owners re-titled it again in Florida.

Edited by Dr4Film
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Preston W said:

Good advice.  I wouldn't look into a lawsuit at all. It could cost in legal fees, that a new coach is worth!  We take it in to the body shop next week for their estimate. Insurance tells me they should have a decision on coverage before that.  

I was wondering about that. I'll add that to my negotiating list.  A salvage title can't be good

Depends…. There are more “salvaged title” used cars on the market today, due to the economy, than there have ever been.  A salvaged title is usually denoted in an ad FOR SALE with a comment or footnote….as in cosmetic damage only.  Try to find a car for under $7,500 or so and look at the car fax….many…way TOO MANY

So, the decision….do you plan to sell it?  If you are satisfied with it and it can be repaired….then I seriously doubt it would have any impact…but that’s my take.

You’d have before and after pictures….way more valuable in a private sale.  I’d buy a slavage title RV if it was mechanically sound and suited my needs.  I’d be more concerned about the maintenance records…as well as whether the upgrades were done correctly and if they added, based on my needs, any value…

YOUR CALL…

• Like 1

Thanks. I will check with DMV after the holiday.

1 minute ago, Tom Cherry said:

Depends…. There are more “salvaged title” used cars on the market today, due to the economy, than there have ever been.  A salvaged title is usually denoted in an ad FOR SALE with a comment or footnote….as in cosmetic damage only.  Try to find a car for under $7,500 or so and look at the car fax….many…way TOO MANY

So, the decision….do you plan to sell it?  If you are satisfied with it and it can be repaired….then I seriously doubt it would have any impact…but that’s my take.

You’d have before and after pictures….way more valuable in a private sale.  I’d buy a slavage title RV if it was mechanically sound and suited my needs.  I’d be more concerned about the maintenance records…as well as whether the upgrades were done correctly and if they added, based on my needs, any value…

YOUR CALL…

Thsnks Tom, you may have been the gentleman who gave me great advice on the wheel.Spacers.  our coach now has  those wonderful wheel.Spacers ,  on the rear tires , and it's worked well untul this. 

No plans to sell it all. We are  were very comfortable with the unit and  would like to keep it.

The insurance company may ask for the title once a total loss is declared....do not turn it over to them....tell them it's your vehicle until you reach a settlement. Once you arrive at a number, tell them ok, but I'm keeping the coach. Then if needed you can renegotiate the number based on you keeping it. The insurance company will still probably report a total loss to the state data base which may show up on Carfax....if you ever sell you'll need to disclose the total loss. This is what I did when my lightning was rear ended and totaled ...fixed it my self, still driving it 7 years later.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

What value of insurance do you carry.  Is it, book value (NADA/JD Powers),  comparable sales value or declared value?  I know JD Powers prices are way below what coaches sell for.  If it is comparable sales start researching what similar coaches are going for.  

When I first bought our coach I insured for NADA, I was fine with that since we paid much less.   Last time I switched insurance companies they updated the value and we agreed on ~$58K declared value and that's what I carry now.   When we bought the coach in 2008 I paid $67 so I'm good with the declared value. 

Hopefully you'll get some estimates prior to dealing the insurance company, this will give to decide whether you want to try and fix and keep.   If they decide to total it and you know what it might cost to fix you can got from there.  

Edited by jacwjames

When I was looking for a 4.78:1 differential to replace my 4.30 one in my Camelot in 2011, I found a guy in Witchata Tx who had collected several damaged Monaco’s from the 1990’s & 2000’s. He never advertised, but I found him. I took a trip there. I had to pull the axles then the third member myself.

I kept his number and address. You might get lucky in finding parts for your coach. 

I just looked at google. See picture. I’ll PM you his contact info.

IMG_3167.jpeg

If they total loss my MH, AND they offered a reasonable settlement, I'd take it in a heartbeat. If they total it and sell it to you, you'll have a salvage title which greatly reduces the value of the MH. I'd walk away happy and look for a replacement knowing it might take awhile to find one. 

1 hour ago, Happycarz said:

When I was looking for a 4.78:1 differential to replace my 4.30 one in my Camelot in 2011, I found a guy in Witchata Tx who had collected several damaged Monaco’s from the 1990’s & 2000’s. He never advertised, but I found him. I took a trip there. I had to pull the axles then the third member myself.

I kept his number and address. You might get lucky in finding parts for your coach. 

I just looked at google. See picture. I’ll PM you his contact info.

IMG_3167.jpeg

Great. Look forward to the info.

Preston I feel your pain as a woman pulled out from a stop sign last August and hit the right rear of our coach right behind the tag axle. I was able to pickup all the pieces. From pictures my Insurance estimated damage at $7,000, the body shop estimated at $25,000, and repair came in at $16,000. Insurance paid it all but my Insurance got reimbursed by the other parties Insurance. Try to source doors and replacement panels if possible, as repairing is extremely time consuming. I thought I was getting a replacement panel from Visone but they don't update pictures so needed panel was already sold however did get battery compartment door from them. I just noticed on Craigslist yesterday a 1998 Dynasty for sale at Eugene, Or. It also has rear cap damage worse than yours but compartment doors are all there. He doesn't say but this is a dealership and may be willing to part as I don't know if drivable. Worth a look at least. Feel your pain and Good Luck. Keep us posted, Don

• Like 1

Thanks Don, U just put up a note on thr forum that I checked the JD power's value of our coach and I was shocked.I don't know if I'm reading it correctly.It said $4500.I know it's old.Has 142,000 miles and no slides but my satellite dish cost almost that much!

• Sad 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Preston W said:

Thanks Don, U just put up a note on thr forum that I checked the JD power's value of our coach and I was shocked.I don't know if I'm reading it correctly.It said $4500.I know it's old.Has 142,000 miles and no slides but my satellite dish cost almost that much!

That doesn't surprise me.   JD Powers lists low prices and there are arguments whether to add all the extras (appliances, upgrades etc).  

There was a poster on IRV2 was upset when he made an offer on a decent Monaco coach using the JD Powers price, he was adamant that is all it was worth.   I disagreed and there was a lot of back and forth between a bunch of posters. 

Best option is to find listings fro coaches as close to yours as possible and adjust for condition. 

Edited by jacwjames
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Preston W said:

Whatever formula JD Powers is using for older coach values it's essentially useless. It certainly doesn't reflect the real market value of these coaches based on actual resale prices.   I think we'd know if our coaches were commonly available at $4500.

In an insurance claim, you would have a very good argument against the insurance company if they tried to value your loss on the JD Powers valuation alone.  

• Like 1

You're absolutely right and try offering $4500 to buy a nice Monico Dynasty.You would get rocks thrown at you!

• Haha 1

On 5/25/2024 at 9:54 AM, Preston W said:

20240521_151102.jpg

20240521_142634.jpg

20240522_192106.jpg

20240521_182127.jpg

20240521_095713.jpg

Assume you are dealing with your own insurance company under your collision coverage.  Another option is to file a claim directly against the at-fault driver’s property damage liability insurance coverage—if it’s more than the minimum $15000.  Find out his limits.  Also assuming there were no bodily injuries, which would always cause the price of rice to go up, if you catch my drift!

if you accept the total loss offer, and deduct the salvage value of—say 25%—then you will have to pay for the repairs yourself.  Absent any mechanical damage, you’ll be all right.  Be aware that on my ‘06 Knight, the dash air condenser and hydraulic jack pump are in the second from rear cubby on the left.  Contact Visione RV Salvage in KY, or Arizona RV Salvage near Phoenix for parts.  I’m also assuming you plan to drive the wheels off the rig, so resale value is not much of an issue.  Good luck.

Thanks for the very good response.Yes, our insurance company.Is on it but there were no witnesses.Nobody stopped to offer help or say what happened. .It was a he said she said not affixed any fault. When we drove the RV off the freeway, we pulled into a parking lot. In Bakersfield, the highway patrol had warned me that it's a bad part of town. There were gangs of homeless gathering near by and I told Nancy. "I said boy, if we could drive this off the freeway. Okay, we can drive it back on the freeway and try and get it to Phoenix. I don't want to leave it in a yard here. And that's what we did for the next 2 days. It ran fine mechanically. It just looked like a joke going down the road.. We do plan to drive it till the tires.dissolve, it's a great rig.We put a lot of love and care into it and feel very comfortable in it. And it's just the two of us and a little tiny parrot so we feel we don't need slides.

I love my wife's sign she put on the back.

20240523_181112.jpg

20240521_182155.jpg