air dryer on 2002 ambassador?

ekgflashnet

My parents just recently acquired a 2002 Holiday Rambler 30' diesel pusher.  It has an air suspension system with hydraulic jacks for leveling.  The parking brake is air based as well.  Does this unit have an air dryer?  I took a look, but did not see anything obvious.  if it does have one, where might it be located?    I'm concerned that it may never have been replaced.  On my coach, it is located at the rear of the coach and is quite obvious to see.

thanks,

steveg 2005 DDIV

Thanks for the link and everyone else for your responses.  However, I'm still not clear on one last item.

The manual on page 273 does specify the location for the air dryer for those models that are Air over hydraulic brakes.  I previously looked in and around the area of the transmission.  There is no air dryer in the area.  Page 272 also states an air dryer only exists with Air over Hydraulic brake models.  I physically looked at the brakes and they are all hydraulic based.  So, maybe my next question is where are the two air chambers which then operate on the two master brake cylinders?  But, then on page 291, in the section on Air over Hydraulic brakes,  it states that air brakes are not available on 30' models (which is what my parents have).  So, it appears that since no air brakes, therefore no air dryer.

But. their parking brake is the usual plunger type that you lift up and down.  When this is done, you can definitely hear the customary sound of air whoosing thru the valve.  If there is not  an air over hydraulic brake system, what is this plunger doing?  On the front dash panel, there is a light indicating when the air pressure is low, but there is no pressure gauage, just the light.

Seems contraditctory to me that the manual states the 30' model is not air over hydraulics, yet it has what appears to be an air based parking brake. Any insights would be appreciated.

steveg 2005 DDIV 

You must have an air system if the parking brake makes an air sound. To check for air over hydraulic brakes, open the large front cap cover over the generator. Inside there you can see the hydraulic master cylinders. If each of them has an air diaphragm attached, it is air over hydraulic brakes. Also you will hear the air sound when you apply and release the brake peddle. 

As I mentioned previously, my air dryer is under the coach. You must crawl under the coach and look in front of the differential to see it.

GEDC0885.thumb.JPG.1be5c9a01bc93d455445c1ec4dcf7d3d.JPGGEDC0884.thumb.JPG.0837d4385fa179195abd2724ff617fd7.JPG

You may want to listen where the air is discharged when the system it full. My air filter is part of the air exhaust. I bought a large strap wrench from Home Depot and it works great. My filter is about 7" in diameter 8" long. Hard to find if it has years of use because of road dirt. 

I have now verified, that as the manual states, that my parents 2002 30' ambassador is not an air over hydraulic braking system.  Attached is the picture of the master brake cylinder and there is no air diaphram associated with the braking system.  This would indicate as the manaul states, that there is no air dryer.  However, I do have the traditional parking brake plunger which is air activated.  I have physically inspected each wheel and can confirm only a hydraulic line is running to each brake.  Therefore, I'm now wondering what this air based parking brake is doing?  Is it perhaps braking the drive line?  I can confirm that it indeed does brake something as when activate/set, the coach will not move.

steveg 2005 DDIV

20200901_173118[1].jpg

20200901_173044[1].jpg

Hi Steve

A few more comments that may help. Again, my coach is '02, 36' Knight. We can now agree that you do not have air over hydraulic brakes, but if the parking  brake is air activated, and you have air suspension, there is an air system of some kind. You will hear the release of air pressure when the parking brake is applied. It is called a spring bake because a heavy spring applies the brake to the shoes in large drum on the drive line between the transmission and the driveshaft (at least it does on my coach). When you release the brake, the air pressure applies force to the parking brake air diaphragm which holds the brake released against the spring. It is a fail safe system so if you loose air pressure, the parking brake will be applied. Also, I expect you would have an air compressor on the engine and air tank(s) to hold air for the parking brake and the air suspension. 

The three photos attached show my orange air dryer/filter cartridge under the coach in front of the differential, and the parking brake air diaphragm with the rusty brake drum on the drive line, and finally the two air tanks marked front and rear located under the coach in front, behind the generator, . 

Back to your first question, do you have an air dryer cartridge? Don't know, but I would be surprised if Monaco would skip it with your other air items that are installed.

Scott

GEDC0894.JPG

GEDC0895.JPG

GEDC0896.JPG

• 2 weeks later...