Fuel Tank Sender

While driving home from our last trip my dash fuel gauge went from half full to completely full and pegged to the right.  The next day I started up the coach and the fuel gauge indicates correct level.  I did check the four wires connected to the sender.  They could use cleaning but they connected.  Any clues why this happened?

Richard

You may also want to check connections at the gauge side. In my case, the signal wire behind dash splits into a Y where one leads to the gauge and the other to a triptek computer. The crimped connection became intermittent. Also check the ground wire connection at the gauge. Hopefully it is that easy...

My 2000 Endeavor intermittently did similar acrobatics. In my case, there was a break in the ground wire between the sending unit and the frame. The break was actually in the wire itself, about one half way along the length and it took multiple trips to the shop to find.

The same thing happened to me a couple years ago. I put up with it and didn't trust the sending unit. Used mileage to gauge visits to fuel stops. Finally took time to track down the problem. It was the sending unit. Took a picture of the top of the unit and contacted that company. Purchased a new one and it works perfectly.

My sending was made by "Centroid Products" 904-423-3574. Was not difficult to replace.

Good luck

The sending unit is composed of a tube within a tube going down into the tank.  The fuel level is determined by the amount of fuel between the two tubes providing a capacitance reading.  The asphalt substance in the diesel fuel coats the insides of the tubes.  Get some carburetor cleaner and spray the area between the tubes.  

Chuck B

• Like 1

On 8/27/2020 at 1:30 PM, Chuck B said:

The sending unit is composed of a tube within a tube going down into the tank.  The fuel level is determined by the amount of fuel between the two tubes providing a capacitance reading.  The asphalt substance in the diesel fuel coats the insides of the tubes.  Get some carburetor cleaner and spray the area between the tubes.  

Chuck B

That sender never did work reliably on my rig.

I replaced it with a conventional float sender, and once calibrated it has worked fine ever since.

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe I should start a new topic, but this seemed closely related.

On my parents 2002 ambassador, the fuel guage only reads 3/4 full even though the tank has been filled with diesel.  This tells me that the centroid fuel level sensor needs to be calibrated.  However, on the abassador, there is no access to the top of the tank.  The tank is located in the middle of the coach with no visible means to access anything on the top of the tank.  Has anybody ever tried to calibrate the sender on this type of unit or a similiar one?  The only approach I saw was to possibly drop the tank, but as I understand it, you need a full tank to set the calibration.  Any suggestions/ides?

thanks,

steveg 2005 DDiv

• 2 weeks later...

I have had it with Centroid senders.  Between the last two Monaco motorhomes I have gone through 4 centroid senders.  The last time I one went bad I replaced with Wema KUS SSL sender.  I ordered one 1/2" shorter than my tank bottom and replaced my gauge with a marine 240-30 ohm gauge.  The dampening is not as good as the centoid and no low fuel warning but is exceptionally accurate without calibration issues.

Anybody know where (or how to access) the centroid fuel sendor is on a 2002 ambassador (may be similiar to a knight)?  I assume it is at the top of the fuel tank.  However, on the 2002 ambassador, the fuel tank run lenghtwise in the middle of the RV.  I currently don't see a way to access the top of the tank since it is right in the middle of the coach.

thanks,

steveg 2005 DDIV

Good idea, but I can confirm that the centroid fuel sender is on the top of the fuel tank of the 2002 ambassador.  But, there no room above the tank to access it (there's only about 2" of space between the top of the tank and the frame).  Also, this would be in the middle of the living room, so I can't imagine there is an access panel from the top.  Looks to me like the only option to access the sender is to drop the tank.  I'm hoping perhaps someone has some direct experience with this type of configuration.

steveg 2005 DDIV