Well, I did it

I backed my Holiday Rambler out of the storage building to check some things out in the water service bay. Told myself to be sure to close the service bay door before driving back into storage. Decided to leave the coach out for the night since I planned to take it to the shop the next day. Very little chance of rain but since one of the A/C shrouds was removed by a tree limb (another story) I went out after dark to put it up for the night. Of course I didn’t check the open service bay door so it is now folded in half and removed from the motorhome.  What is best source for a replacement, new from factory, salvage or new fabrication by a shop?

Ed              
‘05 HR Ambassador 

I damages one of my basement doors, I took it to a sheet metal shop and they made one, He was able the damaged one as a sample of required material and design.  Took it to a body shop for the painting. Total coast around $1500,

Jim

I did sort of the same thing to my electrical cord basement door, wanted to buy a new one but couldn't find one anywhere.  I checked all the online salvage yards, you see what your looking for on their website but those parts were stripped and sold long ago but they don't update their pictures.  I took mine apart, bent everything back to sorta flat (came out pretty good) and reinstalled it.  If I ever find a salvage part I will replace it, but I would take Jim Byrd's advice and go to a sheet metal shop and have them duplicate your old one and get it painted.  What I found on salvage "If" you can find one your going to spend at least $1K for a used part plus about $500 shipping, so you're better off getting it made locally or try to fix it yourself.

9 hours ago, Jim Byrd said:

I damages one of my basement doors, I took it to a sheet metal shop and they made one, He was able the damaged one as a sample of required material and design.  Took it to a body shop for the painting. Total coast around $1500,

Jim

The door seems simple enough. Will have to look closer at the hinge.

Thanks,

Ed

I believe you doors open by lifting up.  If so the hinge will be the worst part of repair, especially if the portion of the hinge mounted on the side of the coach. 

When my wife crushed the hinge portion on 3 doors I tried to order from Monaco at the time, they offered the door portion but not the part that mounts to the side of the coach, I ended up buying a ~8' piece from Visione salvage.  I was able to buy the door portion from Monaco.  REV currently does list this part, you may contact them and see if they now offer the other side. 

https://parts.revgroup.com/search?keyword=S08410937

Edited by jacwjames

I live ~100 miles from Visione and have been there multiple times.  They have (had) a huge inventory of salvaged units.  Check their website.  I have bought several items from Visione RV, they are very good to respond to email inquireies or via the phone.  Whey my wife damaged 3 doors on my Windsor I did check on replacing one of them, the small door that accesses the water pump and Manabloc area.  Visione quoted $600 at the time. 

The door itself was warped pretty good.  I was able to clamp it to the top of my workbench and then using very large pipe wrenches with wood to protect the wood I was able to force it back flat.   There was a large dent that I was able to fill with bondo and repaint. 

The other two doors had the hinge portion crushed from where my wife hit a metal post pulling out of a fueling station, it was at the same height of the hinge and as she pulled out it pancaked the hinge for ~4-5 ft.  Minor scratches to the doors.  I was able to remove both doors.  I replaced the fixed portion of the hinge with a piece I bought from Visione.  The part of the hinge that is attached to the door I was able to remove by drilling out the hinges and replacing with pieces I got from Monaco.  I was able to get everything back together mounted and aligned, then had to paint 3 of the 4 colors

Maybe you should post a picture of the door so we could provide better advice

Captain Fogle:

If you can get that basement door closed and taped up I can have a new door made for you here. I just seen you are schedule to visit us soon.

Contact Amy and send her pictures of her door. I will show Bobby and see if he can fabricate a new one. He has done them in the past and does an awesome job. If you let me know which basement door it is I can also take him one of mine to duplicate it and have it ready for you when get here. I believe your coach is identical to mine - 05 AMB / 40-PLQ

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, throgmartin said:

Captain Fogle:

If you can get that basement door closed and taped up I can have a new door made for you here. I just seen you are schedule to visit us soon.

Contact Amy and send her pictures of her door. I will show Bobby and see if he can fabricate a new one. He has done them in the past and does an awesome job. If you let me know which basement door it is I can also take him one of mine to duplicate it and have it ready for you when get here. I believe your coach is identical to mine - 05 AMB / 40-PLQ

You got to love Chris, he always goes the extra mile.

• Thanks 1

On 3/6/2021 at 6:17 AM, Bob Nodine said:

You got to love Chris, he always goes the extra mile.

That's for sure.  Now if I can just get enough duct tape.  The beauty is my coach is just about the same color as gray duct tape.  Maybe it won't quite look like the Joads going down the road.  (But then again, I am an Okie)

Ed

Edited by saflyer