2002 Dip, first MH to cut our teeth on

JDCrow

Hey JD nice lookin set of mods, i really the the canister for what i belive is for the draft tube, where is that found? I am still running the water bottle with the steel wool in it. 
Your step repair, what material are you going to cover them with, my top step storage is pulling appart from the piano hinge, so my repair is right around the corner and i was undecided as what to cover them with.

Finally when i replaced my high mount stop light i added a “warning flasher” to the circuit so the light does a quick Series of rapid flashing before reverting to solid on. Its an attention getter that i saw someone elses rig one day on the road.

3 hours ago, veraken said:

Looking good.  What headlights and turn signals did you purchase?  Where did you get them.

https://www.vantageoptics.com

They specialize in E series van headlight conversions. The Dip happens to have the same headlights as an 92-07 E series.

2 hours ago, Chargerman said:

I guess sleep is an option for you 😂. Looking good!

LOL, trying to squeeze some projects out before next month when we head out.

49 minutes ago, Rikadoo said:

Hey JD nice lookin set of mods, i really the the canister for what i belive is for the draft tube, where is that found? I am still running the water bottle with the steel wool in it. 
Your step repair, what material are you going to cover them with, my top step storage is pulling appart from the piano hinge, so my repair is right around the corner and i was undecided as what to cover them with.

Finally when i replaced my high mount stop light i added a “warning flasher” to the circuit so the light does a quick Series of rapid flashing before reverting to solid on. Its an attention getter that i saw someone elses rig one day on the road.

Catch can:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mishimoto-MMOCC-LA-Aluminum-Oil-Catch-Can-Large-/324064478678?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

I am using the same coin floor that I did the rest of the captain chair area with. I purchased these stair nose to finish it all off.

Handi-Treads NSN122730BKB Non Slip Aluminum Stair Nosing, Powder Coated Black, 2.75" x 30" with Color Matching Wood Screws, 2.75 x 30 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NOLGZ4W/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_J8YF6VARVZ5SZVYMETBC?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Also replacing the stair lights and adding 2 more to other side.

Good idea on the rear high mount. You just added something more to my list LOL

No real way to reuse the existing conduit, since it goes to the panel and I need it to goto the new inverter. It’s ran up the side and over the top in the rear cap. I’ll have to pull the wire to reuse and abandon the conduit for new. 

I’ll drop a single pole dual breaker in the old inverter slot and try to fish a section of Romax down to a splice box to connect to the Microwave and plug runs. 

5B838413-DDFE-4504-AAB5-061F483D91AC.jpeg

7FE22528-F21A-4480-8A80-60C872A6CE56.jpeg

83C32A2E-ACB5-47A7-AFD4-1D524EA227B0.jpeg

Mounted the inverter. Ran the carflex from the inverter to the transfer switch. Upsized to 1” carflex 

Punched a new hole to run another run of carflex from inverter to distribution panel. Gotta peel back some foam route in the more. Will be adding a 3/4” Cardlex run to get power down to the back bay where the old inverter was and has the 2 runs (microwave, plugs) 

68271C4B-8598-4B7E-A808-8A4C75CFC0FB.jpeg

643AEDA7-2F6D-4CE8-882E-5250C20CE1EF.jpeg

69075D6B-9E1B-4543-8726-74697A53A23C.jpeg

17D8351C-28E4-4137-808C-6CB712F7E4AA.jpeg

229EDDFC-C7A0-4F29-9C72-015D0EA3851F.jpeg

B2DD39A3-BD4A-410A-BE28-7A5B89131AF4.jpeg

• Like 1

Hey JD, good morning! I have a question why mount the inverter in the battery bay, i mean with lack of ventalation, and any gassing from the main engine batteries, that seems like a odd location. Please forgive my old mechanic ways, my old knowalge says corrosion, however my curious side says hold on seems he has an ace up his sleeve😳

i suspect your going to start using battelborn batteries or something equivalent, which for me is a VERY exciting concept in electrical storage, its just that i am such a tight ass its just hard to justify the initial cost. 

Im like a kid in a candy store watching innovative design changes take shape, in that newer trends of thought actually push the needle, past old established ideas that in the past were concidered the norm.

Thanks again for sharing…

32 minutes ago, Rikadoo said:

Hey JD, good morning! I have a question why mount the inverter in the battery bay, i mean with lack of ventalation, and any gassing from the main engine batteries, that seems like a odd location. Please forgive my old mechanic ways, my old knowalge says corrosion, however my curious side says hold on seems he has an ace up his sleeve😳

i suspect your going to start using battelborn batteries or something equivalent, which for me is a VERY exciting concept in electrical storage, its just that i am such a tight ass its just hard to justify the initial cost. 

Im like a kid in a candy store watching innovative design changes take shape, in that newer trends of thought actually push the needle, past old established ideas that in the past were concidered the norm.

Thanks again for sharing…

Yeah no worries, ask away. I’m learning as much as I can as well. 

2 things on location. Actually there is more ventilation in this bay than the bay the inverter was in previously. And yes, I have a 200ah smart (heated) lithium battery waiting to go in this bay.  

I’m also going to relocate the starting batteries to the bay the old inverter was in to free up room for a second house battery next year. 

I opted to by off brand batteries. I likewise am on a budget. A 200ah is down to $789, the heated 200ah I paid $1100 for. 

4EC0AB88-E597-4AC6-BD2A-800C15C25673.jpeg

A86C77BD-26B6-4CD0-B313-887A11183B7D.jpeg

19 hours ago, JDCrow said:

I opted to by off brand batteries. I likewise am on a budget. A 200ah is down to $789, the heated 200ah I paid $1100 for. 

JDCrow,
Regarding your Chin's lithium battery:

1. Where did you purchase it (URL please)
  2. Was price your only factor in choosing Chin's... ?
  3. How long did it take to get... ? (from order time, to the time that it arrived)

GREAT job on everything that you've done thus far, I'm very impressed!!!  Please keep posting... (I'm in a very similar situation and going fulltime soon, by Thanksgiving '21)

2 hours ago, Gwarsh said:

JDCrow,
Regarding your Chin's lithium battery:

1. Where did you purchase it (URL please)
  2. Was price your only factor in choosing Chin's... ?
  3. How long did it take to get... ? (from order time, to the time that it arrived)

GREAT job on everything that you've done thus far, I'm very impressed!!!  Please keep posting... (I'm in a very similar situation and going fulltime soon, by Thanksgiving '21)

1) Amazon 12V 200Ah Smart Lithium Iron Phosphate Battery, Support Low Temperature Charging (-31°F), Built-in 100A BMS, 2000+ Cycles, Mobile Phone APP Monitors Battery SOC Data https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08N56268P/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_TPKGRE5050D77SVSW66P

Non heated:

12V 200Ah LiFePO4 Battery, Built-in 200A BMS, 2000+ Cycles, Each Battery Can Support 2560W Power Output, Perfect for RV, Caravan, Solar, Marine, Home Storage and Off-Grid https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0993Y461N/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_EQ1PK4WZGZ9AYHNKRZ36?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

2) Price is good, Good reviews on Amazon, Will Prowse took the battery apart and gave it thumbs up  

3) The “regular” battery came in about a week. The smart one came in 2 weeks. 

Thanks for the encouragement, if you have any pointers or suggestions, please fire away. 

I have obligations today and won’t be around till after 5-6 pm

Edited by JDCrow
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Rick A said:

All I can say is this. 
“The Complete Guide to the RV Universe.” By JDCrow

What a great job. 

LOL, well a crash course on what it looks like under the skin I guess. 

Honestly this is my life. I tear everything apart. I’m not the brightest light, I have to know, or teach myself how it all works. If I can understand it, then I have more confidence in it. I hate being uniformed on my stuff, or relying on someone to do the work. I do realize that I’m getting older, and there are smarter and more qualified people to do the work, but I have still know what needs to be done, and the difference between bad work and good work preformed on my stuff. 

As they say, blessing and curse. I have 2 other big projects, one almost done (Bronco) and 1 functioning (excavator) as soon as I’m content on the Dip. 

Again, thanks for the kind words, and I hope that this thread is of benefit to some. 

Mornin JD , say so far your re-organizing your battery bank is looking top notch, if i am able to make a suggestion… put a rubber mat underneath your two engine batteries, it will insulate, an prevent any electrolisis that could occure.

Also i know your house battery states 200 ahs however, with regaurd to available surge current, is going to be able to crank over your generator enough to start it. The reason i ask is mearly due to lack of information regaurding these new types of batteries. Keep up the great work😎

3 hours ago, Rikadoo said:

Mornin JD , say so far your re-organizing your battery bank is looking top notch, if i am able to make a suggestion… put a rubber mat underneath your two engine batteries, it will insulate, an prevent any electrolisis that could occure.

Also i know your house battery states 200 ahs however, with regaurd to available surge current, is going to be able to crank over your generator enough to start it. The reason i ask is mearly due to lack of information regaurding these new types of batteries. Keep up the great work😎

You are awesome! Thanks for looking out for me. I haven’t started to sort that “side” (house) batteries. 

I’m rerouting the Gen lead to the chassis side as we speak, well and pull carflex while I have my buddy here