Norcold 1200 cooling system R&R

drewat2

Our 2005 era Norcold 1200 cooling unit has failed. Anybody have experience with "Nordic" replacement cooling units. Do not want to go to residential.

Thanks -Drew

There's a company in AR that offers guts replacements (burner, boiling tank, condensor, lines, etc.).  They can replace in house or ship for DIY.

http://ozarkcoolingunits.com/

They even have a video that makes it look easy.

How is your unit failing?  Ours (Norcold 1200) performs marginally maintaining 40F on AC but averages 45-50F on propane, and this is springtime weather.  I do a lot of gen-free boondocking. 

Keep us posted!

Best,

- bob

I used RV cooling units. Spent the money for the more expensive unit about 5 years ago. Glad I did works great.  Not a hard job putting it in. Just a little time consuming.

https://rvcoolingunit.com/-Norcold-1200-Cooling-Unit-PKG-w2-AC-elements-2-Fans-wfan-switch-pkg-built-by-the-Amish-P2434108.aspx

Built a dolly to slide the fridge out on to. A little help from my wife to slide the unit out and reinstall it. Just take your time with it. Customer service was assume. 

Edited by Bob Schmeckpeper

I bought and installed the JC Refrigeration on my Norcold 1200 and my friends Norcold 1200. The second install was easier. Both are working very well. I have to limit my temperature setting to 3 so my fridge does not freeze my eggs. JC Refrigeration provided great support and videos.

Word to the wise: If you are trying to cut up your old refrigerator back (plumbing apparatus)- ensure all the yellow ammonia is leaked out. I thought mine was and it was quite a stinky shock when I cut into the coolant tube and yellow gas sprayed out!

HA!  I went out to turn off the battery operated fan inside the fridge and discovered the fridge was dead as a stone.  😵

Went outside and discovered a red LED lit inside the fridge bay ! 😵😵

After hunting around on the internet for a while I discovered the magnet-reset-Norcold trick.

All is well,

- bob

• Like 1

Thanks for all the feedback. Decided to go with the "Nordic" cooling system, 2 year warranty. I'll post on how the changeout goes and how it performs. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, William said:

Bob,

What exactly is  "the magnet-reset-Norcold trick" just curious I may need to trouble shoot someday. Thanks 

It's explained in the videos but basically there's a safety recall for when Norcolds exceed 800F they don't burn down the coach.  The recall is an add-on mod that shuts the fridge down completely.  No codes, no display, no power, no fridge light (1st clue).  Not having or by-passing the recall mod could be catastrophic (fire, death, etc). 

Here's an info sheet with a handy troubleshooting chart - https://norcold.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/635412E-SB_1200_1210_BoilerLeakCheck.pdf

Best,

- bob

On 5/4/2021 at 3:10 PM, drewat2 said:

Thanks for all the feedback. Decided to go with the "Nordic" cooling system, 2 year warranty. I'll post on how the changeout goes and how it performs. 

JC Refrigeration is 3 yrs warranty, additional 3 yrs for $125.00. Total 6yrs.

Terry

On 5/5/2021 at 8:51 AM, cbr046 said:

It's explained in the videos but basically there's a safety recall for when Norcolds exceed 800F they don't burn down the coach.  The recall is an add-on mod that shuts the fridge down completely.  No codes, no display, no power, no fridge light (1st clue).  Not having or by-passing the recall mod could be catastrophic (fire, death, etc). 

Here's an info sheet with a handy troubleshooting chart - https://norcold.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/635412E-SB_1200_1210_BoilerLeakCheck.pdf

Best,

- bob

Got it..thanks Bob

• 2 weeks later...

Update on my Norcold cooling unit changeout. In our toad we drove 750 miles up from Mexico to Tucson to pick up the Nordic unit. All looked to be correct so off we go back to our RV. 1st thing our tech says is looks too small, I reply no way. Way, it was the wrong part for a smaller Norcold. I hadn't saw the full size of the existing unit so visually it "looked" to be the correct part & all the paperwork as well as packaging indicated that it was correct part. Decided to make a silk purse out of a pigs ear based on all the feedback from all of you Monacoers, I bought a Helium charged JC Refrigeration unit (also ordered their package of fans, burner upgrades) and had it shipped to Tucson. Drove back up again in our toad, did the return of the wrong part and got the new after a few weather delays. Long story short, the install was very straight forward and the fridge is working better than ever. Greatly appreciate the comments and advice from all of you

DrewS