400 ISL No Start 2007 Monaco Camelot

I started this unit before we left for Florida in December. It's been inside the whole time, we took the fifth wheel to Florida.

It cranks fast enough. It's only hit once like it was trying to fire since we got back. 

Also the generator will not fire. It also turns fast enough.

Fuel is near full. I stuck the tank and got clean diesel. I've tried every key turning priming procedure I've found on the internet. I've looked for a priming button near the fuel filters and found none.

Any suggestions on things I can try before calling a diesel mechanic will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Im not a mech but how about this. Do you hear your fuel pump priming when u first turn on your key?

• Thanks 1

Since engine and generator exhibit same, you should be looking at fuel delivery lines. Engine and generator usually have separate lines and priming devices so I would be suspect of:

1 - Amount of fuel in tank. Generator won't burn fuel from about 1/4 full down.

2 - Something in tank that is blocking pickup into delivery lines. I know you said "clean diesel" but if the problem is on the bottom of the tank you may have missed it.

3 - Fuel filters on both engine and generator.

You can check generator by inserting the delivery line into a bucket of clean diesel and then see if it starts. If not, the filter is probably completely blocked which suggests a fuel tank problem. If so, there are several ways to get the tank and fuel cleaned up.

Good luck.

-Jamie

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Gary M said:

Im not a mech but how about this. Do you hear your fuel pump priming when u first turn on your key?

Yes, I even got out and walked back there, I hear a clicking noise from the location of where I think the fuel pump is. Lots of rapid clicks.

19 minutes ago, OhReally said:

Since engine and generator exhibit same, you should be looking at fuel delivery lines. Engine and generator usually have separate lines and priming devices so I would be suspect of:

2 - Something in tank that is blocking pickup into delivery lines. I know you said "clean diesel" but if the problem is on the bottom of the tank you may have missed it.

You can check generator by inserting the delivery line into a bucket of clean diesel and then see if it starts. If not, the filter is probably completely blocked which suggests a fuel tank problem. If so, there are several ways to get the tank and fuel cleaned up.

Good luck.

-Jamie

Tank is within 1.5 inches of the top.

The two systems are so separate that I would trouble shoot one at a time. Don’t let the “both” thing cloud your efforts.

If you do find something that carries over to the other then great.

If mine, I would start with the Cummins.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Fonman said:

The two systems are so separate that I would trouble shoot one at a time. Don’t let the “both” thing cloud your efforts.

If you do find something that carries over to the other then great.

If mine, I would start with the Cummins.

I agree, my attention span is getting kind of short with this thing. I try to start the cummins and when I figure I need to let the starter rest and need to be doing something I move up to the generator so I can get frustrated with it.

Back and forth.

• Haha 1

If it is BOTH the generator AND the engine then I would be focusing on the fuel in the tank. Unless it just happens to be coincidental that BOTH started to act up at the very same time but they have completely separate causes.

Can you take a sample and send it off to be analyzed?

Next thing to look at are your engines primary and secondary fuel filters plus the generator fuel filter.

I would pull the fuel filters on the Cummins and replace. Then cut them open to see how they look. 
if filters look good I would then pull a line after the filter and run it into a bucket. Then see how/if there’s flow when turning the key

Edited by Chargerman
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, OhReally said:

Good luck.

-Jamie

The reason I suggested starting at the generator is, that is the easiest to get to. With no smoke at exhaust and no generator OR engine starting, I am fairly confident that neither are getting fuel. If this problem has persisted for awhile you may have also killed the engine lift pump. It shouldn't be a ticking sound, more of a hum or vibration. Something in the area of the pickup tubes in the tank is blocked. If you bypass the tank and feed clean diesel directly to the generator and it starts it will be confirmed. Keep in mind that if the generator still refuses to start after bypassing the fuel tank you could still have a blocked generator fuel filter.

-jamie

• Thanks 1

I'm suspecting fuel contamination also. 

How deep into this are you willing to go?  Some owners aren't comfortable getting dirty troubleshooting mechanical issues . . . .

If it doesn't have a clear bowl at the bottom, I would remove the primary fuel filter and pour it's contents into a clear (or at least white) container.  If it does have a clear bowl shine a light through it.  Mine had a lot of junk in it and I barely got home that trip.  Replaced the primary and I was good to go . . . but it was very hard to start because the new filter was empty. 

You should have a quart of clean diesel to put back into the filter (or new filter). 

Question for others - How do you store a small amount of clean diesel for filter changes? 

Best,

- bob

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, cbr046 said:

I'm suspecting fuel contamination also. 

How deep into this are you willing to go?  Some owners aren't comfortable getting dirty troubleshooting mechanical issues . . . .

If it doesn't have a clear bowl at the bottom, I would remove the primary fuel filter and pour it's contents into a clear (or at least white) container.  If it does have a clear bowl shine a light through it.  Mine had a lot of junk in it and I barely got home that trip.  Replaced the primary and I was good to go . . . but it was very hard to start because the new filter was empty. 

You should have a quart of clean diesel to put back into the filter (or new filter). 

Question for others - How do you store a small amount of clean diesel for filter changes? 

Best,

- bob

I have seen no settlement bowl, just 2 filters that are side by side and very easy to get to. I'm going to get those. I'll either take them off myself or have them here for if I call a mechanic.

I have no shortage of clean diesel due to the auxiliary 60 gallon tank on my cummins truck.

I have no problem getting dirty but my back has locked up the last few days so I'll see how that progresses.

Edited by FishAR

Obviously your primary water/separator filter doesn't have a clear bowl under it like the Racor S3201P filter that I have for a primary.

Remove the primary first, dump the diesel into a white container with the filter. Install the new filter then using your key prime the filter you just replaced by turning the key on and off about 6 times. Then remove the secondary and dump the diesel and filter into another white container. Install the new filter and repeat the priming with the key about 6 times. Then try and start the engine.

Also you can prefill each filter with clean new diesel (this is what my shop does) and then start the engine. No need to use the key/lift pump method to fill the filters.

• Thanks 1

I’m not a fan of using the key on to fill the filters BUT, in this case it will tell you if the lift pump is working or not.

As was also mentioned for the generator... storing that long requires priming before trying to start.  Manual says to depress the STOP toggle the opposite direction for at least 30 seconds before trying to start. 

Also separate issue from fuel... make sure the rear run switch didn’t get bumped to the “rear” position (for the Cummins).

good luck, I hope it’s something simple.  Make sure and let us know.  It’s always good to hear others issues for future troubleshooting.

Kurt

Edited by MHRookie

A friend with 2004-05 Windsor had similar issues. His fuel pickup in fuel tank had corroded and was too short to pick up fuel for engine. As I remember they had to pull tank out of coach to pull and replace fuel pickup.
Pat C

• Thanks 1

Well I got the 8.9 started and it ran like a top. Let it run for about 2 hours. Restarted it twice in that time just because I shut it off to do other things.

Left the key on longer than 30 seconds this time and instead of the clicking sound I'd been hearing I heard a whirring sound of something spinning so I went back in and it fired right up.

Now on to the generator.

37 minutes ago, Dr4Film said:

Mike, what did you do to get it started? Any changes?

One word of caution, Cummins does not recommend idling their engines for long periods of time at any rpm less than 1000.

Good luck with the generator.

Thanks for that tip. So I guess if I start it again I should just let it get up to temperature and then shut it down?

The only things I did different were leave the key  on longer before trying to start, and praying more and harder.

• Like 1