Finally Replacing Norcold 1200

pulsarjab

After a trip to a RV salvage for a part, we have decided to replace the Norcold in our 2000 Diplomat. We were ushered through the lot in a golf cart driven by an employee. We saw a long row of burned out motor homes and that was enough for us. Many of the fires were refrigerator. 

So, we have a Frigidaire waiting to be installed. Over the years the Norcold has had the main control card replaced, fans replaced, electric burners replaced, and thermostat replaced. On a recent trip to Florida, it operated, as usual, with 36 degrees in main area and it made and keep plenty of ice. If anyone is interested in parts I will make them available before throwing unit out.

I have followed this discussion for years. When the inverter failed, we replaced with a full sign wave inverter and our house batteries are new. The only time we run the frig on gas is when we are driving and occasional trips to Quartzsite or Oshkosh, so not worried about keeping things cold. Thanks to all who have contributed to this subject. I will try to document frig removal and install. It sits on top of the furnace so not a lot of room, but, this is not the first time it has been out of the hole, one heavy dude.

• Like 3

You are a very smart & wise man to have recognized the potential of what could easily happen to your NotSoCold.

Trust me once you have the residential installed and in service you will quickly kick yourself for not doing it years ago. I did! Unfortunately I did a lot of the same repairs that you have also done plus I messed with the doors and seals.

I had actually made an appointment with JC Refrigeration to have the Amish built RV cooling system installed when a friend & I were talking about what I had planned to do. She said why would you spend that much money and still end up with a NotSoCold body with all the extraneous problems that go along with owing the POS.

That's when the light bulb went off! I quickly cancelled the appointment, purchased a Samsung RF-197 and set up an appointment in Louisiana for the install. That was back in 2012. Best upgrade that I have ever decided to do.

• Like 1

We are installing a Frigidaire model FFHT1425VB. It is almost 14 cubic feet. I would have preferred a French door with ice and water in the door, but did not want to go through the hassle of modifying the enclosure for the furnace. It will be cold and plenty of ice. No handles on doors to protrude into narrow hallway and the depth is perfect.

When selecting a replacement, especially if there's a furnace below, take into consideration the height of the shelves INSIDE the fridge. Ours had a drawer below the Norcold and DW wanted to 'save' it. However, when we decided on the Samsung, keeping the drawer would make the top shelves too high for her to comfortably get things in and out, so I opted to remove the drawer and lower the fridge. Life is easier when the wife is happy.... 😄....Dennis

On sale, Frigidaire was $600. The biggest issue for most frigs. is depth. It sits in the hallway to the bath and bedroom. Most frigs have handles and easily stick out farther into the hallway. Since we are not full time, we do not need 18 cubic feet, this one will provide great sleep at night and will keep everything cold, automatically will defrost and will fit nicely in the space. I may have room for a pull out spice rack, that would be a bonus.

I replaced mine on my last MH a National Dolphin. I actually removed the furnace relocated it in location of the bottom drawer in the kitchen. Yes I had to cut a hole in the side of the motorhome! It finished out nice and was the best upgrade I’ve done. Dr4film might remember me from irv2 forum. I tell people today the same thing he told me get rid of that POS! 😁

32 minutes ago, tmw188 said:

Dr4film might remember me from irv2 forum. I tell people today the same thing he told me get rid of that POS! 😁

😇 I do remember that and I have told so many people the same thing ever since then that I have lost count.

I was kicked off of iRV2.com many years ago for being too outspoken at times. Haven't gone back with a new moniker as they would most likely figure out who I was eventually and kick me off again. Frankly haven't missed being there and spend my time here on Monacoers helping to share what I have learned over the years of Full-Time RVing and now the past 5 years of Part-time RVing.

• Like 2

I know I remember that happening but didn’t want to mention that here🥴when I was looking at Windsor’s I was surprised how many still had those in them. I wanted the floor plan that would allow the removal and replacement of the POS 1200. The rig I purchase already had it done but they didn't finish the job correctly. Didn’t insulate and block off the wall vent access panel or the roof vent and didn’t plug it into the inverter. Glad I’ve been thru this and knew what to look for.  

On 6/8/2021 at 9:21 AM, pulsarjab said:

We are installing a Frigidaire model FFHT1425VB. It is almost 14 cubic feet. I would have preferred a French door with ice and water in the door, but did not want to go through the hassle of modifying the enclosure for the furnace. It will be cold and plenty of ice. No handles on doors to protrude into narrow hallway and the depth is perfect.

I like the price and the idea of not modifying the box. What inverter to you have? 

We have a 2018 Xantrex Freedom 458 2000w and I believe it is a modified sine wave. would you, or the minds at work on this site, expect there would be any issues running this particular fridge on that inverter? Of course that is assuming that our rigs 120 portion of the Nevercold fridge run off the inverter(not sure about that myself).

Do you believe it will fit through the door or would you need to remove a window?

Good luck, would like to see pics of the process and final product when you are done.

I installed the Xantrex Freedom XC 2000. It works great. Even the Whirlpool microwave has no issues and the batteries stay charged. The remote control was simply a replacement for the old control, using the same wiring. I did have to install two circuit breakers to replace the ones that were built into the old inverter.

I am planning to remove the doors on the Norcold and may have to remove water and gas valve on the back. It appears it will fit through the living area slide out window which is also an emergency exit, so the whole window tilts out and up. This will avoid removing the passenger chair and door. Time will tell. Should know in about a week.

Our 2000 Diplomat is wired for the refrigerator to run off the inverter. 

Helped a friend (03 Sig) take a NoCold out the door without removing the chair or removing the door stop …2 people . Took 3 to bring a Samsung in…did cover the chair with some canvas to protect it.

On 6/8/2021 at 6:43 PM, Dr4Film said:

“I was kicked off of iRV2.com many years ago for being too outspoken at times. Haven't gone back with a new moniker as they would most likely figure out who I was eventually and kick me off again. Frankly haven't missed being there and spend my time here on Monacoers helping to share what I have learned over the years of Full-Time RVing and now the past 5 years of Part-time RVing.”

Dang, I thought I was special having been banned from IRV2 for ever. Probably didn’t help asking a Moderator (Gustapo) after he got on someone for being too political, that his “wear a mask” at the bottom if every post, was political today when 15 states never had a no mask mandate and others were removing that requirement.

Only bad thing is I cannot access my posts on solutions to their problems on IRV2.

30 minutes ago, Ivylog said:

Helped a friend (03 Sig) take a NoCold out the door without removing the chair or removing the door stop …2 people . Took 3 to bring a Samsung in…did cover the chair with some canvas to protect it.

My DH took our old Norcold out by himself while I was having my morning coffee! 

On 6/8/2021 at 5:27 AM, pulsarjab said:

After a trip to a RV salvage for a part, we have decided to replace the Norcold in our 2000 Diplomat. We were ushered through the lot in a golf cart driven by an employee. We saw a long row of burned out motor homes and that was enough for us. Many of the fires were refrigerator. 

So, we have a Frigidaire waiting to be installed. Over the years the Norcold has had the main control card replaced, fans replaced, electric burners replaced, and thermostat replaced. On a recent trip to Florida, it operated, as usual, with 36 degrees in main area and it made and keep plenty of ice. If anyone is interested in parts I will make them available before throwing unit out.

I have followed this discussion for years. When the inverter failed, we replaced with a full sign wave inverter and our house batteries are new. The only time we run the frig on gas is when we are driving and occasional trips to Quartzsite or Oshkosh, so not worried about keeping things cold. Thanks to all who have contributed to this subject. I will try to document frig removal and install. It sits on top of the furnace so not a lot of room, but, this is not the first time it has been out of the hole, one heavy dude.

We're replacing our Norcold in our 01 Diplomat today!!!! I can't wait to take a trip with this new fridge that is way fancier than the one in my house. We considered Frigidaire but couldn't find a French door that was short enough. 

On 6/8/2021 at 8:51 AM, Dennis H said:

When selecting a replacement, especially if there's a furnace below, take into consideration the height of the shelves INSIDE the fridge. Ours had a drawer below the Norcold and DW wanted to 'save' it. However, when we decided on the Samsung, keeping the drawer would make the top shelves too high for her to comfortably get things in and out, so I opted to remove the drawer and lower the fridge. Life is easier when the wife is happy.... 😄....Dennis

I have a tall husband for this 🤣 we can keep his beer on the top shelf,  right?! 🤭