Brake Drums 2006 Diplomat

I need help sourcing steer axle brake drums for a 2006 Diplomat.  I've been through 1) the Parts List, 2) the downloads section (LOTS of brake info - but nothing on drums) 3) the roadranger.com site (Bendix brakes), and multiple web searches with different search engines. 

The existing drums are corroded to the point where you can't see the part number. (15 years of road grime will do that.)

We've also tried taking the drums to some local parts suppliers (Atlanta area).  I've yet to find an exact match; the problem seems to be the three small bolt holes used to attach the drums to the hub before you put the wheels on.  Otherwise they can match the drum dimensions.

Any help appreciated.

1 minute ago, Chuck B said:

Monaco purchased a complete front axle assembly back in those days.  Check on the part of the axle facing the rear of the coach for the number.  Chuck B 2004 Windsor

Thanks Chuck.  I have the steer axle assembly (I202BN201-1) and the Bendix brake assembly (ES-150-4L).  Just not the drum.  There is a "Hub & Drum Assembly", part number 975352, but I don't need the hub, and can't find the drum.

1 minute ago, IlliniCathy said:

Mechanic hubby says those 3 holes were for assembly line ease and not needed.  It was used in factory only.  Not needed for replacement.  Be fine without.

Perfect!!  That helps!!!

Guest Steven
 VEURINKS' RV CENTER
                             7144 S DIVISION AVE S
                                GRAND RAPIDS, MI
                                       US
                                  616-281-5111

They are Monaco repair and parts center. Give them your vin number and they contact Monaco who has all the parts and manufacturers and parts number that went on your coach. They helped me with a replacement drag link assembly.

Found it!

The drums are made by Webb Wheel Products, part number 65555B.

https://www.webbwheel.com/online_catalog_drumdetail.php?dn=65555B

Found them in Birmingham for $1k/ea. 

The local NAPA counter guy couldn't find it, but they do have them (pricey!!): 

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/TWR65555B

Now that I have the specific dimensions (and not worried about the three assembly holes) I'll find a cross available locally.  Will post details once I have it.

Thanks Everyone!!  Looks like our July 1 trip is still on!!! (I was worried).

Scotty

Attached is a spreadsheet for the dimensions for a Webb 65555B drum and the one I installed on my Holiday Rambler Endeavor.

The bolt hole diameter is a bit larger however spacers are available.

Price for drum was $129 and free freight  from FIND IT PARTS on line

Spacer were about $40, can't remember where I purchased them, it was on line

Hope this will help.

Jim

Brake Drum Comparison.xlsx

Edited by Jim Byrd

29 minutes ago, Robert U said:

Scotty

Try Jacks Diesel. Talk to Gerry. They do a lot of brake work.

Bob U

My coach is at Jack's as we speak having the front bearings replaced (I had a bad bearing) and new brake drums and shoes installed.  Garrey was super helpful.

10 hours ago, Scotty Hutto said:

My coach is at Jack's as we speak having the front bearings replaced (I had a bad bearing) and new brake drums and shoes installed.  Garrey was super helpful.

Great Scotty. When you talked to me on the phone you did not tell me it was only the three small holes that were not on the substitute drums. I would have told you that they are not necessary. As the other poster said they only keep the drum in place when the wheel is off. No way that drum is going to come off when the wheel is on.

I assume the drums are not turnable (machinable) to true? Just had my brakes (2003 Camelot 38PST - Roadmaster RR8S) replaced. The guys said they have never had to replace drums. I'd love to see pictures of your drums and what caused them to be unusable. 🙂

On 6/28/2021 at 2:46 PM, Scotty Hutto said:

Found it!

The drums are made by Webb Wheel Products, part number 65555B.

https://www.webbwheel.com/online_catalog_drumdetail.php?dn=65555B

Found them in Birmingham for $1k/ea. 

Scotty

Scotty, that's where I found my drums for front of 2000 Dynasty several years ago.  No, the three small holes don't matter, and neither does the size of the stud holes...the drums are hub-centered. To keep down the number of part numbers, at the time I bought them, they were available with only the largest available wheel stud hole.  The drums are hub-centered, and the size of the wheel stud hole does not matter since the total clamping force of the wheel studs exceeds the braking torque available to make them "slip" on the hub.

3 hours ago, JDStew said:

I assume the drums are not turnable (machinable) to true? Just had my brakes (2003 Camelot 38PST - Roadmaster RR8S) replaced. The guys said they have never had to replace drums. I'd love to see pictures of your drums and what caused them to be unusable. 🙂

Drums that large aren’t typically turned is what I’ve been told by those more knowledgeable than me. 

Unfortunately, I didn’t take pics, but the driver’s side front drum was cracked all the way through — you could see a big crack on the inside of the drum and the same crack - slightly less obvious - on the outside. I’m no expert, but I sure didn’t want to drive anywhere with it like that!  The passenger side front looked to have gotten overheated, but no cracks. 

When I checked with Webb a couple of years ago they informed me that the 65555B was no longer in production and they didn't have an alternative drum.

Mine wasn't tunable do to heat cracks and deep groove that exceeded max. ID.

Guest Steven

Please all Veurinks 616-965-9633 give them your vin number and they will give you the replacement parts or get them for you.

good luck,

Steve.