Load Shedding

tmw188

So we took our coach out for its maiden voyage and one of the things I wanted to check real life operation was if I truly had load shedding. I have 50a at home and wanted to try it plugged into 30a thinking maybe that’s what it would take to get this display to come alive? 
Well it didn’t so maybe I’m missing something or I don’t have it. I wouldn’t think the display would be installed and not wired in? The inverter/charger  controller steps down from 30a to 5a I think it is. The Load Meter doesn’t come on at all no matter how far down I drop the setting on the inverter/charger controller. 

A884CF12-12B0-486E-8584-7A489C3647A4.jpeg

09973F72-92F9-4A17-ABF6-3FA78B00C3E3.jpeg

Edited by tmw188

Your Intellitec Display should be lit up when hooked to any shore power or when the generator is running. It will not display anything when your Inverter is supplying power to the coach using the House Batteries.

Questions-

What does the display show when hooked to 50 amp shore power?

What does the display show when the generator is running?

Todd, you should also note whether the "gen set" lamp is lit on the load shed control. The light will come on whenever the generator is supplying power to the coach.

This signal comes from the generator on a unique pin located in a gang connector right near the front of the generator. Mine lost this connection and it caused some weird things to happen in the coach. You can disconnect the gang connector at the generator (with generator off of course) clean the connections and reconnect if required.

1 hour ago, Dr4Film said:

Your Intellitec Display should be lit up when hooked to any shore power or when the generator is running. It will not display anything when your Inverter is supplying power to the coach using the House Batteries.

Questions-

My 2005 Diplomat shows the loads when the generator is on BUT does not lite up when hooked to 50 amp shore power. Is this correct? 

4 minutes ago, Rick A said:

My 2005 Diplomat shows the loads when the generator is on BUT does not lite up when hooked to 50 amp shore power. Is this correct? 

Rick, I am currently on 50 amp shore power and have been since May 7th. The display should have the 50 amp light lit up along with all 6 status lights along the right side.

2 hours ago, Dr4Film said:

Questions-

That’s what I thought. There is nothing being displayed at all. So that being known, I’ll have to look at the wire diagram. 

3 hours ago, Ivylog said:

On a 02, load shedding is accomplished by manually turning things off.

Well I can do that and I am use to managing loads on my other coach if needed by monitoring the remote display on the P.I. display. I wouldn't think that on my ‘02 it would have the display monitor if it wasn’t wired? 

26 minutes ago, tmw188 said:

That’s what I thought. There is nothing being displayed at all. So that being known, I’ll have to look at the wire diagram.

Most likely you have a failed board unless the the 5 amp power fuse has blown which is on the board. You could also try resetting the board by disconnecting power to the board for a few minutes.

1 hour ago, Dr4Film said:

Rick, I am currently on 50 amp shore power and have been since May 7th. The display should have the 50 amp light lit up along with all 6 status lights along the right side.

That’s my status as well. It doesn’t show the amp draw like it does when I am on the generator. If my shore owner is less than 50amp it shows me what I am drawing so I can load shed manually. (very technical, haha,  switch of the least important appliance! 

4 hours ago, Ivylog said:

I hope that display board pops out easily with a putty knife. I’ll look thru my case of paperwork and see if there is something in there on it. I’ll then check for that fuse. 

Edited by tmw188
Duplicate copy

18 hours ago, Rick A said:

That’s my status as well. It doesn’t show the amp draw like it does when I am on the generator. If my shore owner is less than 50amp it shows me what I am drawing so I can load shed manually. (very technical, haha,  switch of the least important appliance! 

The display will NOT show any amp draw while on 50 amp shore power. However, it does show amp draw when on shore power LESS than 50 amps or when the generator is running.

18 hours ago, tmw188 said:

I hope that display board pops out easily with a putty knife. I’ll look thru my case of paperwork and see if there is something in there on it. I’ll then check for that fuse. 

You do NOT need a putty knife to remove the Intellitec EMS Control Board. It is located behind the brown circuit breaker Intellitec cover panel. You have to remove the cover panel to expose the control board. It simply pulls out from its holder. There are some cables that need to be disconnected to completely remove it. The 5 amp fuse is on that control board.

Edited by Dr4Film
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Dr4Film said:

You do NOT need a putty knife to remove the Intellitec EMS Control Board. It is located behind the brown circuit breaker Intellitec cover panel. You have to remove the cover panel to expose the control board. It simply pulls out from its holder. There are some cables that need to be disconnected to completely remove it. The 5 amp fuse is on that control board.

Hmm? Ok I’ll look at it again, but it is flush mounted with a trim ring and I assume it snaps into that trim ring looking at the photo, you say no?

Todd, you are NOT comprehending what I am posting!

Go back an read my post slowly and follow my directions.

On edit, I added three photos, one of the Intellitec Circuit Breaker Brown Cover Panel, one with the cover removed exposing the control board and one of the display showing what it looks like with the Generator running.

Intellitec EMS Panel-02.JPG

Intellitec EMS Panel-03.jpg

Intellitec EMS Display.jpg

Edited by Dr4Film

Ok yes, I wasn’t at the coach and was focused on the display board I posted when referencing the use of a putty knife. You showing the breaker panel helps clear that up. I see what appears to be the fuse you are referencing? I’m heading over there now to look and I have extra fuses onboard. I’ll check it out and get back-thanks. 

C2B7E2FE-436C-4EE8-A387-FB21E19ED7C8.png

Edited by tmw188

Make sure all the breakers are on (except the block heater, that can stay off).  In my case if the Washer/Dryer Breaker is off the load display doesn't show anything. 

If it still isn't lite up with all the breakers on I'd check the fuse.  If fuse is good you can try and reset the system by disconnecting the shore power, shut off both 12 volt disconnect, pull the fuse and wait 15 minutes.  If that doesn't work contact M&M Electronics, they helped trouble shoot mine when lightening took it out, I ended up having to replace.  The system you have may be obsolete and you'll have to upgrade to a newer board and load meter, that's what I had to do. 

To be completely transparent there is a Jumper Position on the board which allows the EMS Control Board to shed devices when using the Generator. That's when I assume that the display will show the amount of amps being used and what devices if any that are powered up or have been shed,

This is all explained in detail in the Intellitec EMS Owners manual.

There is a generator sense wire going to the board and if the generator is running it will show amps but will not shed any loads.  At least once a year I will run the generator at maximum load, +60 amps to give it a good work out, I watch the load meter and keep adding load till I reach the desired amount, usually both AC, a small heater and toaster oven get me to where I want to be.

The only time it sheds is if you are connected to a 30/20 amp circuit, it will show the amperage being used and if you exceed 30 amps it will start shedding. 

Ok the fuse is good 3a. I also found these two multi connectors unplugged no notes on why it was left unplugged  so I plugged them back in. Started the genny and still no display. I’ll have to pull the display later if it continues to lead me down that rd. It’s over 100deg in the coach right now.  In the meantime I’ll price out a new display. I have a feeling it may have been determined it was bad and that’s why it’s unplugged. My guess would be the smaller of the two connectors which is jacketed in a gray sleeve is the display wiring? 

AC2F2B93-2D8A-406A-B1AD-DC510199A1B6.jpeg

237A5378-61A2-49D7-A5DE-B3AAD43BC1BE.jpeg

Edited by tmw188

Pages 11-1in the Service Manual trouble shoots the system and what I’m experiencing. Again I have a feeling since it’s been unplugged it may have been determined at some point the Board or the Display is bad and just left unplugged. May have been too costly and not used enough or never used at all by one of the previous two owners to repair. 

Edited by tmw188
Wrong info

3 minutes ago, jacwjames said:

From your picture it looks like the EMS board has already been bypassed.  If all the circuits work with 50 amp and 30 amp then you will have to monitor what you are using and control the total load manually.

Where are you seeing that bypass? 

There should be a wire running from each breaker to a relay on the circuit board and then a wire from each relay to the individual appliance (AC, Water Heater, Washer/Dryer).  It looks like you have wire nuts connecting wires together>> meaning the board has been bypassed. 

I did the same thing when my board crapped out. 

6 minutes ago, jacwjames said:

There should be a wire running from each breaker to a relay on the circuit board and then a wire from each relay to the individual appliance (AC, Water Heater, Washer/Dryer).  It looks like you have wire nuts connecting wires together>> meaning the board has been bypassed. 

I did the same thing when my board crapped out. 

Yes I noticed the wire nuts. That maybe explains my theory. I can provide a full view picture of that panel revealing more tomorrow. 

Edited by tmw188

You might try taking one circuit (wires connected together) and attach it to your board and see if it works.  It would test whether the board is good or bad.  If it works try another. 

On my coach the shedding order is Water Heater, Rear AC, Washer Dryer, Front AC.  Water Heater sheds first. 

My EMS was the 750 model, which is now obsolete.  I upgraded to the 760 model, but that also required a new load meter and wiring harnesses.  I bought it from M&M Electronics as a package.