Torque Values for Wheels

tmw188

What are the torque values on our Alum wheels, how many of these big tire shops really use them? I would think the procedure on removing them can be important too. Most just use them large impact guns and would think your crazy if you ask them to be torqued to spec I would think. 

I’ll look in my manual tomorrow when I get back to the coach. It sounds promising that most probably finish up with the proper torque. I plan on having the front wheels balanced if I don’t find balance wts on them. I’ll give them the values in my manual. 
Speaking of wts, do they use stick ons on the outside of these wheels?

Edited by tmw188
Added content
  • Like 1

Thank you Frank Bergamo. Boy did I have my numbers for lug nut torgue all wrong. I stated 145 psi. What was I thinking? The real response should have been 450 foot pounds of torque on each lug nut.

Edited by hilrunr
confusing answer

1 hour ago, jacwjames said:

First set of wheels I had balanced they used stick on weights for the fronts, the were flung off after a couple thousand miles.  Good news was that it didn't affect the drive at all and the tire aged out with +50K miles and showing very little wear.

Jim, which brings up another question. How big a deal is it to balance these front wheels? They could already been done from the PO, they have roughly 2800 miles on them. I just had new shocks put on the other day and thought I might get them balanced. There is a large reputable place near me that said it was $40 a wheel, which I thought was cheap? I hear there is a good place in Orlando that does alignment work on these Roadmasters? It drives nice and I may choose to leave it alone and not spend anymore money on these things. AH PO   wouldn’t wouldn’t let the broker give me his number. There were a few things I had him do and he probably wasn’t happy. 

7 hours ago, hilrunr said:

Thank you Frank Bergamo. Boy did I have my numbers for lug nut torgue all wrong. I stated 145 psi. What was I thinking? The real response should have been 450 foot pounds of torque on each lug nut.

Figured you would clarify that. 🤪

Edited by tmw188

I bought my coach in Florida, it was a repo with no records.

The front tires were Goodyear with ~50K mile on them, I assumed they original ~6 years old.  They had a bad wear pattern, which from what I read of Goodyear was normal.   Drove it ~800 miles home, bad vibration in the front which I attributed to the wear pattern.  Took it to a Cummins shop for a complete service and inspection, passed with flying colors, shop manager said it was "cherry" and that I got a heck of a deal.

Next thing I did was have front tires installed.  But I wanted to make sure I didn't have an alignment problem so got the number of an alignment shop from Buddy Greggs's, they use the shop.   Took it for alignment after tires were installed, they actually had to bend the front axle to get it aligned.  They also spun balance the tires while they were on the rig, and installed the stick on weights the flung off. 

Like I said previously, I didn't even know the weighs were flung off until I found some sitting in the driveway after a trip. 

The tires aren't hard to balance for a shop that does it all the time, they'll jack the coach up remove the tire and put it on the balancing machine.  When they did mine the tech was not satisfied with one of the front, too far off balance so he actually broke the tire back down and rotated the tire a  little on the rim and then balanced it and added weight.  Just did a ~4700 mile trip and all was good with the tires. 

• Like 1