Tow bar set up

10 minutes ago, Dr4Film said:

Are you buying used or new?

If used, make sure it has been upgraded.

Was looking a a used, but it sold so now on etrailer.

This is my first Tow Bar set up, ever. I want to get it right the first time. 

You said “I  need to go with Blue Ox Avail “ but if I understand right you don’t know what you are pulling, what breaks you are using, etc. Why not put the whole package together, baseplate and all, once you have your dingy. Might even find a dingy that is set up for something else. 

Thanks all for your recommendations. I am going with Blue OX Avail as they are the ones that have connectors that will mount to the D-Ring mounts on my off road bumper. The Avail is Non-binding as well. 

We are setting up our Raptor to be towed. 

I have a Demco 5vr hitch, and it is very well Made

Here is the link to the mounts so you can see what I’m seeking to accomplish 

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/Blue-Ox/BX88358.html

2134EF46-B0F6-4E4B-A415-9AFC9BE7405E.jpeg

Edited by JDCrow

28 minutes ago, BobSchmeck said:

Have the same setup on my jeep.  With a roadmaster Blackhawk. 

No base Plate on your road hawk setup? 

35 minutes ago, BobSchmeck said:

Have the same setup on my jeep.  With a roadmaster Blackhawk. 

Ok found what I think you have, no base plate. I don’t know if they come in 1” wide tab and 1” pin size. 

So is the Roadmaster/Blue Ox like tue Ford/Chevy/Ariete arguments? Depends on who’s talking? 

29 minutes ago, JDCrow said:

No base Plate on your road hawk setup? 

Ok found what I think you have, no base plate. I don’t know if they come in 1” wide tab and 1” pin size. 

So is the Roadmaster/Blue Ox like tue Ford/Chevy/Ariete arguments? Depends on who’s talking? 

They come in 2 sizes for the D rings.  Both roadmaster & blueox are top of the line towbars. Be sure the towbar is as level as you can get it when your aired up. I had to get a 6in riser for the coach since our jeep has a 3 1/2 lift with 35 in tires. Also don't forget the aftermarket bumpers don't have a place to attach the safety cables. Also do you have a break for the tow vehicle? 

1 hour ago, BobSchmeck said:

They come in 2 sizes for the D rings.  Both roadmaster & blueox are top of the line towbars. Be sure the towbar is as level as you can get it when your aired up. I had to get a 6in riser for the coach since our jeep has a 3 1/2 lift with 35 in tires. Also don't forget the aftermarket bumpers don't have a place to attach the safety cables. Also do you have a break for the tow vehicle? 

Yeah I need to figure out the safety cable hook ups.

I have not settled on a braking system yet. Because we are not full-time, I really do not want a hard mount (air) system. The RVI looks interesting,  but the reviews have people upset because they can’t get screens (tablets) for the system, and I really do not want another 7” screen on my dash. 

So it kinda leaves the portable brake systems, which are foreign to me. I’ll have to dig in and figure out how they all work 

7 hours ago, JDCrow said:

I have not settled on a braking system yet. Because we are not full-time, I really do not want a hard mount (air) system. The RVI looks interesting,  but the reviews have people upset because they can’t get screens (tablets) for the system, and I really do not want another 7” screen on my dash.

JD,

You won't find a better and more compact portable system than RVIBrake-3. Plus the braking system doesn't rely on the tablet to function. It will work regardless of whether the tablet is on or not. The tablet is simply a system monitor.

2 hours ago, Dr4Film said:

JD,

You won't find a better and more compact portable system than RVIBrake-3. Plus the braking system doesn't rely on the tablet to function. It will work regardless of whether the tablet is on or not. The tablet is simply a system monitor.

I just ran across an RVI 2 new in the box 

they are asking $500

I don’t know much about these systems, starting to read 

We use the Avail, the Patriot braking system, and the KarGuard protective shield with our 2003 HR Scepter 40 PST and Chevrolet Silverado.  Overall, we have been very happy.  The only drawback would be the design of the KarGuard system.  It works.  However, the mounting system is subpar.  Every 5,000 miles of towing I pull back the boots on the Avail and clean and lubricate the bars with grease.  Once a year, I replace all of the washers on the tow bar.  You can order the washer kits from BlueOx for about $15.  We have used the complete BlueOx system for tens of thousands of miles.  We have been satisfied.  Please be sure to note the other comments about running as level as possible.  We also had to get a hitch adapter (https://roadmasterinc.com/products/accessories/hitch/hitch.php) to be sure things were level with the air bags inflated for driving. 

1 minute ago, David K said:

We use the Avail, the Patriot braking system, and the KarGuard protective shield with our 2003 HR Scepter 40 PST and Chevrolet Silverado.  Overall, we have been very happy.  The only drawback would be the design of the KarGuard system.  It works.  However, the mounting system is subpar.  Every 5,000 miles of towing I pull back the boots on the Avail and clean and lubricate the bars with grease.  Once a year, I replace all of the washers on the tow bar.  You can order the washer kits from BlueOx for about $15.  We have used the complete BlueOx system for tens of thousands of miles.  We have been satisfied.  Please be sure to note the other comments about running as level as possible.  We also had to get a hitch adapter (https://roadmasterinc.com/products/accessories/hitch/hitch.php) to be sure things were level with the air bags inflated for driving. 

Thanks very much for your thoughts, and both for the tip for being level.

I don’t have to all together yet, I’ll post pics through the process and please don’t hesitate to voice  your thoughts on how to adjust or make anything better 

51 minutes ago, JDCrow said:

I just ran across an RVI 2 new in the box 

they are asking $500

I don’t know much about these systems, starting to read 

That is a good price for the RVIBrake-2 especially if new. I sold my RVIBrake-2 back in April for $600 after I bought a used RVIBrake-3 for $550.