Airing down

Watching our neighbor air down his Phaeton which took about 30 seconds, it got me thinking if there is something wrong with our system. It takes us about 5 minutes to let the air out of the airbags. Is this normal for our 2002 Windsor to take that long? Thanks in advance.

Bob, this thread is about airing down the air bags NOT the two air supply tanks which differs for each coach and system depending on how many leaks are present.

I can dump air in my air bags in less than one minute however the supply tanks will lose air slowly over a few days until they reach 0 psi.

• Thanks 1

Sounds normal to me. I think the way our coaches are set up it has to dump all the air. When it starts to dump air from the air bags and the coach lowers the valves to inflate the bags open. I suspect the newer coaches are able to dump just the bags with out draining the whole air system. That would be much faster.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dr4Film said:

Bob, this thread is about airing down the air bags NOT the two air supply tanks which differs for each coach and system depending on how many leaks are present.

I can dump air in my air bags in less than one minute however the supply tanks will lose air slowly over a few days until they reach 0 psi.

Learn something new everyday, did not realize that there was a difference. That explains why it stops at about 30 lb.

This has been a very helpful discussion! Thanks to everyone for your input! This is what makes this site invaluable…even with silly questions, getting others thought and ingenious ideas.

• Like 1

Mine requires me to pump the brakes to drop the coach. That process takes about 45 seconds but its irritating. Ill have to just use the dump switch next time to see how long it takes.

Unless we are at our winter home where the coach is parked under our house I never dump air from the bags but rather let the air leveling system determine where the air bags should be to keep the coach level.

The RV Port under our house is exactly 12 foot high so in order to get the coach low enough I have to dump all air or close to it in order to back the coach into its winter home.

Unless we are at our winter home where the coach is parked under our house I never dump air from the bags but rather let the air leveling system determine where the air bags should be to keep the coach level.

The RV Port under our house is exactly 12 foot high so in order to get the coach low enough I have to dump all air or close to it in order to back the coach into its winter home.

That’s what I thought, I don’t dump mine .

Our hangar ceiling is also exactly 12' high and I have to do the same thing. I am waiting for the day I forget!

I wish I could figure out a way to dump just the bags (I have to empty the tank too) and turn off the air to the bags. It could probably be done but the plumbing is complicated (to this geezer, anyway).

Guest Ray Davis

I don't dump the air either.  However if your coach drops on it's own at some crazy angle then dropping probably is a good idea if on a reasonably level spot.

1 minute ago, Jim McGarvie said:

Our hangar ceiling is also exactly 12' high and I have to do the same thing. I am waiting for the day I forget!

I wish I could figure out a way to dump just the bags (I have to empty the tank too) and turn off the air to the bags. It could probably be done but the plumbing is complicated (to this geezer, anyway).

I simply use the Dump Switch on the HWH Control Panel. I have to hold my finger down on the switch while backing up otherwise the coach wants to return to Ride Height. One I get backed into position and shut the engine down, I leave the HWH Leveling Control in manual in case someone starts the engine. I also made up a laminated sign warning anyone who may have to move the coach with instructions on how to do it without destroying the ceiling of the RV Port plus the AC's on the roof of the coach.

I don't have to fan the brakes to reduce the air in the front & rear tanks as they are two separate systems.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Dr4Film said:

I simply use the Dump Switch on the HWH Control Panel. I have to hold my finger down on the switch while backing up otherwise the coach wants to return to Ride Height. One I get backed into position and shut the engine down, I leave the HWH Leveling Control in manual in case someone starts the engine. I also made up a laminated sign warning anyone who may have to move the coach with instructions on how to do it without destroying the ceiling of the RV Port plus the AC's on the roof of the coach.

I don't have to fan the brakes to reduce the air in the front & rear tanks as they are two separate systems.

My system is different: I don't have air bag leveling, but I have to hold the Air Dump switch on the dash as I am going in and out, and eventually the air parking brake sets itself. So I release the air switch until I can release the parking brake and proceed further. Lather, rinse, repeat. But I am quick enough now I can usually drive in or out on one cycle of the procedure.

On 8/10/2021 at 9:01 AM, Endeavor to RV said:

Sounds normal to me. I think the way our coaches are set up it has to dump all the air. When it starts to dump air from the air bags and the coach lowers the valves to inflate the bags open. I suspect the newer coaches are able to dump just the bags with out draining the whole air system. That would be much faster.

This is how my old Dynasty works.  Dumping the bags doesn't shut off the inlet through the ride height control valves, so the coach doesn't actually start lowering until the entire air system pressure gets below what is required to support the coach.  Takes probably 3-5 minutes usually.

Jim,

When I first get home all I have to do is dump the air bags to back in. Then over time the air tanks will lose all of the air until they register 0 psi on the gauge.

However, when I need to pull the coach out from under the house, I first start the engine to build up the air pressure to release the rear brake springs, then put the coach in gear and hold down the Dump Air Switch until I am completely out from under the house.

Even though your coach doesn't have Air Leveling you must have a switch which dumps the air from the bags, correct? Or does your Air Dump Switch dump ALL air from the air tanks & the bags at the same time? If so I wonder if you could alter the air system so you could just dump air from the bags separately?

Having a Knight you most likely only have four air bags to deal with.

Edited by Dr4Film

15 minutes ago, Dr4Film said:

Jim,

When I first get home all I have to do is dump the air bags to back in. Then over time the air tanks will lose all of the air until they register 0 psi on the gauge.

However, when I need to pull the coach out from under the house, I first start the engine to build up the air pressure to release the rear brake springs, then put the coach in gear and hold down the Dump Air Switch until I am completely out from under the house.

Even though your coach doesn't have Air Leveling you must have a switch which dumps the air from the bags, correct? Or does your Air Dump Switch dump ALL air from the air tanks & the bags at the same time? If so I wonder if you could alter the air system so you could just dump air from the bags separately?

Having a Knight you most likely only have four air bags to deal with.

That's exactly how our old Sig works. I dump only the bags, to get through the 12' door. It takes no time and only dumps the bags while holding the button. Once inside, plenty of room to air it up. I installed a rail for mosquito net in the door frame and that made opening lower but it is still worth it here.

11 minutes ago, Ivan K said:

That's exactly how our old Sig works. I dump only the bags, to get through the 12' door. It takes no time and only dumps the bags while holding the button. Once inside, plenty of room to air it up. I installed a rail for mosquito net in the door frame and that made opening lower but it is still worth it here.

Interesting, in our coach if i deflect the bags there not enough pressure left for the breaks and it would refuse to go into the building. LOL