Engine with number on it

27 minutes ago, Jim Bob said:

I've recently looked at a Dynasty that was for sale, and noticed a number like this on the valve cover.  I am not familiar with seeing that on there and was curious if that is normal or would it indicate that it has been replaced? 

Screenshot 2021-08-14 113250.png

The head, or the valve cover may ? 🤔

Have been replaced 

4 minutes ago, Cubflyer said:

Markings like that used to be used by junkyards to identify their stock, so it may be a replacement engine. Kind of old school, now days they use barcodes in a lot of places.

Yes

Inventory # for salvaged part's 

It looks like a new or newly conditioned 

Head. 

I am definitely old school...  which is why when I saw the number I thought that it might have been salvage yard type thing.  Thanks for the info.  This was a coach that had obviously not been well maintained, so I was somewhat leery of it and then I saw that number on the valve cover.  It was certainly priced well, but I think there are to many unknowns.  Thanks again, 

Jim

That was my plan Dennis.  I was also going to do an engine oil analysis, but when I reviewed the paperwork, there was nothing indicating any service history.  There were some other issues, like a soft spot in the floor, the aqua hot exhaust pipe was missing...  just determined that there was to many obvious signs that it had not been taken care of.

On 8/15/2021 at 11:48 AM, Jim Bob said:

That was my plan Dennis.  I was also going to do an engine oil analysis, but when I reviewed the paperwork, there was nothing indicating any service history.  There were some other issues, like a soft spot in the floor, the aqua hot exhaust pipe was missing...  just determined that there was to many obvious signs that it had not been taken care of.

Another aha moment eh? I found the same thing when shopping for a coach. We flew to Arizona to see a Dynasty that I had negotiated with a dealer on. After crawling over, under and through the coach, I had four pages of 'stuff' I found wrong with the coach. The dealer 'promised' he could repair all the 'stuff'. I declined, as those types of things indicate the previous owner didn't care too much about taking care of maintenance. How one fails to replace the Aqua Hot exhaust pipe is beyond my comprehension....Dennis

In buying a used coach, I'd get a printout of the ECM history report (this is about 50 pages).  Depending on the model year you will also get an engine abuse history report showing things like if the engine overheated, how the DPF regeneration cycles performed and it will give you a profile of how the engine was driven since birth. 

• Like 1

Thanks Frank,  I've not heard of that before.  That would be something that Cummins can provide?  Seems like an electronic version would be easier if possible. I am looking for a pre DPF coach... something in the 2004 to 2007 Dynasty, Executive or Signature line.  I have no experience at all with them, but I've heard great things about the Detroit engines that you occasionally see in a Executive or Signature.

Cummins or any shop that has the Cummins Insite software can provide this type of report.  Have the shop connect to the engine ECM and then in the software they can generate a print file.  Just ask them to select ALL parameters when generating the print file to get a complete report.

• Like 1

On 8/17/2021 at 9:35 AM, Dennis H said:

How one fails to replace the Aqua Hot exhaust pipe is beyond my comprehension....Dennis

Dennis or any other member, here is my question.

On my trip north to New Hampshire in May I hit some pretty rough roads in MA and as a result my OEM Aqua-Hot Exhaust Pipe severed from the 90 degree AH pipe. I have the remaining section secured for travel but I need to find someplace that will install a new SS pipe and new hangers plus possible insulation wrap.

Where would I start looking for someone that would do that type of installation on the underside of my coach? I don't believe the typical auto muffler shop would have the equipment to work under the coach.

Richard, any muffler shop, especially in a smaller town will be able to fix you up. The shops in the larger, metro areas are "too big" and only look for the easy fixes. JMHO. The smaller towns might not have the fancy building but they will have the worker with the knowledge to do the repair. ..Dennis

• Like 1