2005 Signature passenger front HWH X-Slide chain replacement

I had heard some unusual noises from the rear of the front passenger slide and found a couple of rollers had broken off the chain. I was aware of the problem from @Mocephus’s similar issue just after we met in Ocala. I ordered new chains from Paul Maddox.

I tried to replace the rear chain in place (like I saw on YouTube) and quickly decided I couldn’t do it. I removed the slide mechanism and replaced the chain on the bench and replaced the mechanism. (That was a lot easier to write than do. I had to my giant frien Ed to come help me get it out. I just could not lift it by myself from behind the Corian countertop. I also had to remove the trim piece from above the fridge to get it out.)

I spoke to Paul Maddox again and he said to disconnect the other end from the slide, remove everything that was hanging off it top and bottom, and then cycle the mechanism to get the air out and to synchronize the cylinders.

I started to disconnect the top and bottom mounts on the front of the slide, but they seem to be bound up and it is not clear how I can get enough clearance to get this apart. It is also unclear how I would exercise the slide without hitting the slide and causing damage. Perhaps I have to disassemble some more to create the necessary clearance. I have the vertical wood trim removed, but not the aluminum angle.

I found @CountryB’s post over on IRV2 https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/hwh-x-slide-question-how-do-you-get-the-cyl-out-425180.html and spoke to Mike today, and will call him again tomorrow.

Has anyone else worked on these before?

I have talked to multiple people for advice, so now I have multiple options on how to proceed. 😀

Here are some pictures of where I am at the moment. Next steps are to remove more stuff.

Thanks to all.

31EA53C6-1273-434A-9A66-8DA052579EA4.jpeg

C93B631C-03A1-414A-930E-B62888C3B703.jpeg

BCFBE742-B34B-4D0A-B448-6FA1944701C1.jpeg

05999F20-2252-4F86-A91E-D36218A0878B.jpeg

Edited by pwhittle

All fixed. For me the secret was to take more stuff off which gave clearance to work and to exercise the X-Slider to bleed the system and synchronize the cylinders.

Thanks to all for information and pointers. They were all helpful.

Paul

Rollers break off the chain, then the rivets wear and can break. The rollers that break are near the top, so easy to see.

I’ll post some pics when we get home.

Paul

Edited by pwhittle
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I discovered a broken plastic roller on the aft X Slide in the bedroom.  I can replace that chain fairly easy as it has good access but what are the odds of other rollers in the other chains breaking in the near future?  I haven't ever had an RV in a repair shop in over 35 years but wonder if it should go to HWH next summer.  They could replace all 4 chains and rebuild the hydraulic cylinders in one fell swoop. 

Grrr, it's going to fester in my head until I can't stand it and  just go out and remove the chain.  That's what always happens. :classic_wacko: It seems like a new chain link and roller should be available.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Curiosity got me so I pulled the curtain back.... Following this thread as it appears I have found a broken roller.  Is the chain you ordered a AP32669 (RAP91695)?  (My Front X arm is a AP27708, Probably same as yours.)  I don't have a malfunction yet, but only a matter of time I'm sure.

Looks to me like bring slide in 3/4, loosen cylinder adjustment bolt so can take out the chain attachment bolt in the arm.  Pull chain down then rotate cylinder out slightly and remove two pins (space may be difficult...snap rings?) and reverse procedure. Hopefully don't have to remove the hydraulic lines as I think I have a little slack there.

2007 Winchester III

PXL_20211020_202020255.jpg

Call Paul Maddox from HWH ((602) 549-3638) with the part numbers. He can supply the correct replacement chains. He is in AZ.

I was not able to replace the chain in place, but others have. I even struggled to get the chain installed with the X-Slide on the bench and had to drill some of the holes for the 1/4” bolts that replaced the pins oversize.

Paul