Slide Sealant Caulking

jbret06

Hello,  I have a 2008 Knight PDQ and need some help identifying the type of  'sealant caulking' Monaco used under the slides.  I've attached three pictures.  This is looking up under the roadside bedroom slide.  On our last trip to the midwest, I had a leak on the frontside bottom of this slide and upon inspection it looks to me like there are some holes and voids in the caulking right at the corner.  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

James Bradley   

1451.jpg

1452.jpg

1453.jpg

There is a plastic catch basin in each corner that is supposed to catch any water that gets past the side seal and drain to the outside. Also the bottom slide seal should be glued at an angle inwards so that it doesn’t block that catch basin.

The sealant proflex comes in clear, white and black which I have used all three colors on my coach.

Edited by Gary M

On my slide there is a seal that goes from top to bottom on the slide.  The seal will flip in when the slide is pulled in and "suppose" to flip out when the slide is extended.  The seal is what prevents the water from running into the coach and down the slide.

In the past I made it a habit to go back and check to make sure the seal flipped out, most of the time it didn't so I'd have to take my awning pull, work it under the seal and move up slowly getting the seal to reposition out. 

I finally bought some non skid tape and put it on the slide.  When the slide comes out it grabs the seal and pulls it out. 

It does look like the bottom of the slide is showing signs of failure, if it is soft it is a sign of water damage.  

14 hours ago, Gary M said:

There is a plastic catch basin in each corner that is supposed to catch any water that gets past the side seal and drain to the outside. Also the bottom slide seal should be glued at an angle inwards so that it doesn’t block that catch basin.

The sealant proflex comes in clear, white and black which I have used all three colors on my coach.

My front slide had a “fix” on the cups when I bought it. Had the cups filled with Urethane, and then a shingle of rubber seal over them. As such, I eliminates the cups on my bedroom slide 

5 hours ago, Dr4Film said:

By the looks of your photos, your coach is a candidate for Guardian Plates before anymore damage is done. Possibly it has gone too far already requiring the slide to be removed (expensive).

I would contact Chris Throgmartin of Talin RV ASAP. He is also a Monacoers member.

http://talinrv.com/

Agree, plates are in order 

On 9/11/2021 at 8:23 PM, jbret06 said:

Hello,  I have a 2008 Knight PDQ and need some help identifying the type of  'sealant caulking' Monaco used under the slides.  I've attached three pictures.  This is looking up under the roadside bedroom slide.  On our last trip to the midwest, I had a leak on the frontside bottom of this slide and upon inspection it looks to me like there are some holes and voids in the caulking right at the corner.  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

James Bradley   

1451.jpg

1452.jpg

1453.jpg

James - I'm not sure of the caulking, but from your first photo you have a potential MAJOR problem beginning to show on your exterior slide floor. Monaco's with the narrow edge trim are known to fail, resulting in leaks & then major deterioration of the floor. Your first photo shows the beginning of such a failure. I had to install S/S Guardian Plates (from Talin industries (352) 942-2653) on my 4 slide exterior floors to properly seal & prevent damages. I suggest you check this area out immediately! Since I found out about the issue, I look at other Monaco products & the majority of coaches with the narrow edge trim are failing in various stages.

Bart from VA., 07 HR 42PLQ w/GMC 2500HD in tow

14 hours ago, isptbart said:

James - I'm not sure of the caulking, but from your first photo you have a potential MAJOR problem beginning to show on your exterior slide floor. Monaco's with the narrow edge trim are known to fail, resulting in leaks & then major deterioration of the floor. Your first photo shows the beginning of such a failure. I had to install S/S Guardian Plates (from Talin industries (352) 942-2653) on my 4 slide exterior floors to properly seal & prevent damages. I suggest you check this area out immediately! Since I found out about the issue, I look at other Monaco products & the majority of coaches with the narrow edge trim are failing in various stages.

James - I attached 4 photos of my Guardian Plates for your info!

Bart from VA

On 9/11/2021 at 8:23 PM, jbret06 said:

Thanks,

James Bradley   

1451.jpg

1452.jpg

1453.jpg

20210913_085758_resized.jpg

20210913_085818_resized.jpg

20210913_085852_resized.jpg

20210913_085901_resized.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, isptbart said:

Catch cups? Not sure to what you are referring?

Catch cups? Not sure to what you are referring?

Bart

These are the cups at the ends of the bottom part of the slide openings. Last pic is a stuffed cup with a shingle of rubber over it. 

66C7C941-B5A9-41A5-8AD9-43D31B862E14.jpeg

69412BCF-2496-4579-A8D4-2251AF7B3F8F.jpeg

B20A585A-2D87-4A4A-A7A9-CBB0EAABD0FB.jpeg

Guest Ray Davis

Ok in picture #1 it looks like you have removed the bottom wiper seal so I see a roller and looks like maybe inside the coach.  I still can't figure out the cups.

Maybe I need some too.  Are they a manufactured item or something Monaco configured?

8 hours ago, 96 EVO said:

Ok, Gary call's them plastic catch basin's.

I have no basin's or 's.

I do have 🍻's, but that's a story for another day!

Ok everybody!! Here is what I have found by talking to others about the so called CUP’S. I am adding a drawing based on touch and no site other than another post elsewhere that removed his bed in a 09 Diplomat. I’m still looking for that pic. Based on  little conversations with people who own 2008-2010 Knights and Diplomats, those years have them. Now mine was built in Oregon so maybe an Oregon thing. One of our members in Canada has the same coach as I, and if I remember correctly (CRS) he had the same issue. So my take on this is IF water gets past the Side or Top rubber seal, then it should get stopped by the so-called Dam (90 degree pc of plastic screwed and caulked sides and top of slide) water then should run down the side Dam, which is angled outward at the bottom to drip outside. But mine doesn’t extend far enough so it drips into catch basin (CUP) and then drips outside. BUT, if the (CUP) back side drops down, ie no support, then the CUP fills up and runneth over into coach. Ta da!!!            
So here is my sketch:

51EF967E-DCA1-4EC0-A7E1-61123C85A41D.jpeg

Edited by Gary M
  • Thanks 1

Which sealant should be used for this particular location?  I think Tom Cherry told us the different uses for the different types of surfaces or vertical or horizontal uses. I thought that I had made a copy but it is not in my binder.

I don't follow this as much as I used to but quickly peruse most actually a few of the daily

messages. 

Denny Wagaman

2011 Camelot DFT 43