unable to make sense of code

I used a code reader on my 2001 Holiday Rambler ambassador with a 5.7 cummins and allision 2100m trans. The problem is I can't make heads or tails on how to read the code. It came from under the 128 ecu. It reads PID384FM12. Under PID384 it says : Component specific request paramenter. Under PM12 it says :Data erratic, intermittent or incorrect. Not sure where to start looking to correct the problem. My Check trans and low coolant light has come on. With the light on the trans temps go up above 200 quick. When light isn't on trans temp runs 160 tp 170. This code seems to be causing my low water light as well. Thanks for the help.

Just a maybe.  Some of the new diesel coolants are not compatible with the older coolant level sensors.  Our Windsor had a round aluminum rod in the top of the coolant overflow tank with one wire attached.  After we replaced the coolant I had to periodically remove the sensor and clean it with WD40 and a Scotchbrite pad.  

10 minutes ago, vito.a said:

Just a maybe.  Some of the new diesel coolants are not compatible with the older coolant level sensors.  Our Windsor had a round aluminum rod in the top of the coolant overflow tank with one wire attached.  After we replaced the coolant I had to periodically remove the sensor and clean it with WD40 and a Scotchbrite pad.  

When I bought a new tank, I had to update the sensor. Don’t know if this helps. I also am running OAT orange Now. 

I checked the wires, one had 12 volts and the other had a good ground. I used a new sensor, put the end of it into a container of water and plugged it into the system. The low water light continue to stay on. I back fed the signal by putting a paper clip into the plug and the light stayed on. Taking the MH to a shop on tuesday that can put their scanners on it and hopefully find my problem. I believe that when its say and done it will be a loss wire or a dirty connecter. Trying to save a trip to the shop.          

Mike, you need to map the code 384-12 over to a specific Cummins fault code for your engine.  Sometimes you can find a web site that might have a pdf file with the code conversions.  Generic code readers rarely will give you a specific Cummins fault code.  Cummins Insite software will give you the specific fault code.

Your other option is to use the Cummins QuickServe site, register for free, enter your engine serial number and explore the Cummins fault codes specific to your engine.  You should be able to find the specific Cummins code that maps over to 384-12 and how to troubleshoot that fault.