The Trip from Hell

Started on the 12th of October. We left Missoula, MT. Tooling down663495414_Blowout2.JPG.c79c20a1ad5266922e7e636ae17ac052.JPG the road and blew the drivers front tire.

Kept it on the road and boy was it noise. Only real damage was a front quarter nocked loose and a bent exhaust pipe on the generator. After a 6 hour wait, we got 2 new Michelin tires (from over 100 mi away). After spending a week near Seattle, we were headed to Portland to visit our grand daughter. About a 125 mi. we were climbing a slight grade and she just shut down. Thanks to Coach Net (again there arranged the tire change). We got towed to the Cummings dealership.  Great people, they started on it first thing in the morning. Apparently the starter had a short in it. This morning I get THE call. They figure the turbo shaft  broke and blew the engine. Now we are stuck in Everett, WA with a big boat anchor. Anyone know of a place around Seattle that would like to have it. As costly as the diagnosis was the people at Cummins Sales and Service in Everett, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the.  

• Sad 1

26 minutes ago, just_john1 said:

Apparently when it goes it keeps going for a bit allowing air into the engine. The cylinders fill with fuel causing a thing called hydraulics, screwing up the top end and valves.

At this time James 1:2 isn't a lot of help. 

You have some hard decisions to make in the next few days. Hope you take a few days to explore all options. Rebuild, there's a lot of good engines out there from fire or wrecked coaches. Other shops. 

So sorry. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, BobSchmeck said:

At this time James 1:2 isn't a lot of help. 

You have some hard decisions to make in the next few days. Hope you take a few days to explore all options. Rebuild, there's a lot of good engines out there from fire or wrecked coaches. Other shops. 

So 

I agree. I've used adelmans.com for replacement engines before. They're high but beats the *ell out of labor costs for an inframe rebuild........3000.00 for a good used engine. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Flyinhy said:

I agree. I've used adelmans.com for replacement engines before. They're high but beats the *ell out of labor costs for an inframe rebuild........3000.00 for a good used engine. 

Oh wow!  I thought/assumed a rebuilt engine was in the $10 range, or even more. 

A blown diesel engine has always been my biggest fear.  Now I can at least sleep at night.

First, I'm no fan of Cummins service centers.  Everything they have touched on our coach has cost us double to have it fixed within a few hundred miles of leaving their shop.  So, if it were me, I'd get out of the Cummins shop and find and independent and have a rebuilt/used engine installed if it made sense money wise.

Woody Miller

09 Dynasty 

On 10/21/2021 at 8:32 PM, just_john1 said:

Apparently when it goes it keeps going for a bit allowing air into the engine. The cylinders fill with fuel causing a thing called hydraulics, screwing up the top end and valves.

Did you see black smoke before it gave up…excess fuel for the amount of air/boost. Your injection pump has a air pressure sensor that controls the amount of fuel…limits the amount of fuel if not enough air.

Like Woody ^^^ I would consult another shop (tell them what’s supposedly has happened) and get another opinion as what Cummins has told you doesn’t add up.

Edited by Ivylog
  • Like 2

A nightmare that for sure! wish you well in whatever you decide to do.  If you are not a snow bird you have time to do the work before next spring....

I think that you were lucky in one way being able to get Michelins.  I just purchased two for my steers in Coburg, OR and a few days earlier The fellow said I don't know when I will get any Michelins your size.  I can tell you the cost is $810.67 each plus about $100 each to install. As it turned out I called him a few days later and he had 6 of them.  I felt lucky. I toyed with buying Toyo's that would have been able to buy two for the price of one Michelin but decided to do what I felt good about doing. 

anyway good luck

Denny Wagaman

2011 Camelot DFT 43

Update:

I'm looking for a second opinion on the engine. All of the calls I have received are pretty much people wanting it for nothing, very disheartening.

Now for the update, when you think thing couldn't get any worse, you would be wrong. Yesterday I was showing the bus to a guy and noticed someone had been in the bus. We got robbed. Took all kinds of stuff, mostly electronics. I could have lived with the loss but on further examining, they took a pair of my cowboy boots and the Biggy my wife's mobility scooter.  Apparently this thief isn't big on old people having transportation. I meet with the police to day to file a report. I have notified my insurance company.

I was doing fine up until this part. I just want to get out of this town! I even went so far as starting a Go Fund Me Page.

If you find these post depressing, let me know and I'll stop and wait for when I have rainbows and unicorns.

37 minutes ago, just_john1 said:

Update:

I'm looking for a second opinion on the engine. All of the calls I have received are pretty much people wanting it for nothing, very disheartening.

Now for the update, when you think thing couldn't get any worse, you would be wrong. Yesterday I was showing the bus to a guy and noticed someone had been in the bus. We got robbed. Took all kinds of stuff, mostly electronics. I could have lived with the loss but on further examining, they took a pair of my cowboy boots and the Biggy my wife's mobility scooter.  Apparently this thief isn't big on old people having transportation. I meet with the police to day to file a report. I have notified my insurance company.

I was doing fine up until this part. I just want to get out of this town! I even went so far as starting a Go Fund Me Page.

If you find these post depressing, let me know and I'll stop and wait for when I have rainbows and unicorns.

So sorry to hear of these very difficult times you are experiencing. Praying for your situation to quickly improve.

Nope! Keep posting, you need to sound off & we need to hear how you are being treated.  

Sometimes life's a bitch, sometimes life's just another day, right now life's a bitch!

Read your GoFund me page. 

I  will assume your speaking the truth.  I  don't trust dealerships & most mechanics. I  have to ask, was the starter bad? Did the mechanic bench test it when he got it out? Before putting on a new one starter thay better known the old one was dead! Way in hell would it would take $10,000 to pull turbo .  Then it's broken into while sitting on there lot. I  assume it's still there.  Time for that place to step up to the plate and work out a deal. 

Society is going to hell in a handbasket. But all you have to do is read the bible, it tells us were we are going.  

We will do what we can, and I  hope others will do the same.  

Heres our morning view. 

20211024_063904.jpg

I was asked for the GoFundMe link, I hadn't planned on posting it here, but here it is.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/getting-out-of-everett?utm_source=customer&utm_medium=copy_link&utm_campaign=p_cf+share-flow-1

Thanks. John

I was asked for the GoFundMe link, I hadn't planned on posting it here, but here it is.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/getting-out-of-everett?utm_source=customer&utm_medium=copy_link&utm_campaign=p_cf+share-flow-1

Thanks. John

Ivylog. Cummins is closed for the weekend, you can bet I'll be there B and E Monday.

Bob. Sad to say it's the truth, wish it wasn't but life keeps on going.

Thanks. John

Thought I would provide an update. Cummins has cameras, but of course they don't aim in the right direction. I contacted a Mobile Mechanic and he came out to look at the rig. He confirmed the turbo is out. Doesn't know why it won't fire. Does anyone know where the diagnostic port on a 97 Dynasty is located? The OBD2 plug on this rig is useless it only has 4 contacts in it. The mech. said it should be round with 6 contacts. Am calling Cummins to see if they know. We are making progress kinda slow, but progress.

Now for something up beat. Met a Forum member, who  lives here. Really nice guy and knows the area and offers his assistance. Doesn't feel so lonely now. Thanks Gary for being here.

11 hours ago, just_john1 said:

Thanks. John

Thought I would provide an update. Cummins has cameras, but of course they don't aim in the right direction. I contacted a Mobile Mechanic and he came out to look at the rig. He confirmed the turbo is out. Doesn't know why it won't fire. Does anyone know where the diagnostic port on a 97 Dynasty is located? The OBD2 plug on this rig is useless it only has 4 contacts in it. The mech. said it should be round with 6 contacts. Am calling Cummins to see if they know. We are making progress kinda slow, but progress.

Now for something up beat. Met a Forum member, who  lives here. Really nice guy and knows the area and offers his assistance. Doesn't feel so lonely now. Thanks Gary for being here.

The 97 Dynasty is a mechanical engine, so no electronic diagnostics for the engine. The Allison tranny is electronic, but that's not your problem.

On 10/21/2021 at 4:48 PM, just_john1 said:

They figure the turbo shaft  broke and blew the engine

Sorry, I'm just trying to figure out where you sit. The Turbo has failed, that much is certain? And Cummins said that the engine is blown? How did they determine that? Did they open it up?

• Like 1

To the best of my knowledge they didn't. The valve cover wasn't taken off, so maybe they have x-ray vision. I just frustrated. The mechanic said it should start with out the turbo, that is why he wants the location of the port. You would think for $2300 the would go a little deeper. I uploaded the paper work here https://drive.google.com/drive/u/1/folders/14hAoUhg-q3FDcM066VdwZSUli_MJzVJB . The people that have seen it seem to scratch there heads. Hope you can make sense out of it.  

Okay, I am not a mechanic and I don't know what I'm doing, so consider yourself warned.

Does the starter turn over, but the engine won't fire up?

If so, a very common problem on these mechanical engines is the fuel lockout solenoid will fail or stick. Based on your description of the the engine just stopping all of a sudden it could explain it.

Here is a page from my manual that talks about it:

IMG_0819.thumb.JPG.84d14fc776ef5345555177b5311a1d50.JPG

Under your bed, on the left top side of the engine you will find it. If you turn your key to the ON position (but not cranking), and then use your hand to push the solenoid all the way up/in, this will open the fuel valve and allow fuel into the engine. While you (or someone else) holds the level all the way in, have someone else try to start it with the key. If this was your problem it should fire right up.  Likewise, when you turn your key "off", this solenoid shuts down and the valve closes, turning fuel off to the engine. This is literally how the engine starts and stops (well, with the additional of turning over via the starter to start).

Note that if the solenoid has failed you may need to manually pull the lever down to stop the engine, even when the key is "off".

If it were me, I would follow the procedure above to ensure that the fuel valve was fully open to see if that gets it started.