Block Heater operation?

The Block Heater runs ONLY when you are hooked to 120 VAC shore power or have the generator running. There should be a Block Heater Switch on the driver's side dashboard. At least that is where it is on my previous Windsor and current Dynasty has it on the main dashboard over to the left.

You also have to make sure that the heater is plugged into the duplex in the engine bay AND have the Block Heater circuit breaker on.

I would run the heater for at least 12-24 hours before attempting to start the engine.

WRT the generator, just make sure that you prime the engine first really well by holding the start switch DOWN and then HOLD the start switch UP a long time until you hear the engine cranking. Hopefully it will start up once that happens. 

2 hours ago, Dr4Film said:

The Block Heater runs ONLY when you are hooked to 120 VAC shore power or have the generator running. There should be a Block Heater Switch on the driver's side dashboard. At least that is where it is on my previous Windsor and current Dynasty has it on the main dashboard over to the left.

You also have to make sure that the heater is plugged into the duplex in the engine bay AND have the Block Heater circuit breaker on.

I would run the heater for at least 12-24 hours before attempting to start the engine.

WRT the generator, just make sure that you prime the engine first really well by holding the start switch DOWN and then HOLD the start switch UP a long time until you hear the engine cranking. Hopefully it will start up once that happens. 

Richard, since you did not quote any specific model or post, I think a slight "modifier" needs to be added....

THAT DEPENDS.  The Camelots and many others, potentially down the food chain, DO NOT have a Block Heater SWITCH....so there is nothing to turn on.  You go to the rear and plug in the BLOCK HEATER 120 VAC cord and make sure the Block Heater Circuit Breaker on the 50 Amp 120 VAC Main Panel is on.

Again....this is MONACO and models change.  I VAGUELY remember a discussion when a fellow 2008/09 Camelot owner asked this same question many years ago on the Yahoo site and spent many hours trying to find his "Block Heater Switch"....which was dropped as things changed.

I would advise ANYONE to look in the index of their Owner's Manual for Block Heater and then read the text as to HOW it operates and what turns it on...OR it is is KISS and you just go back there and plug it in....

• 1 year later...

I posted this Q somewhere else but I guess wrong place.

I have a cable hanging down by the rad overflow container.

Plug it in  a fan coms on somewhere ?  B7t the cable gets really 'warm' ??

14 minutes ago, 96 EVO said:

That shouldn't turn a fan on.

Maybe a previous owner has done some creative wiring.

@Les Hurdle

Once again, no one here, unless they have the SAME 2004 Safari Cheetah, can tell you what that "wire is". When you say...PLUG IT IN?  Do you mean to the Block Heater (120 AC circuit) or do you mean another "mating plug".

IF this is a DC  circuit, not a three prong or 2 prong AC circuit, then THERE were some MH's that came with or were modified later by Monaco, and there is a fan somewhere in the engine compartment to keep the air circulating. Typically, these fans were controlled by a Thermostat, butt not always...most ran off the Chassis Battery and were IGNITION Switched......but since we don't have prints and you have not traced the cable or the location of the fan, it would be, at best...a GUESS.

NOW, if the wire is an AC plug and you plug it into the block heater....then all bets ae off....as Ben said, you would need the Generator ON when you drive for that fan to be circulating or be on...

Please located the fan.  You can post a picture of the wire and where you plug it into....that might help...but without that....who knows....

Thanks Folks, Tom, 

Agreed more data would be helpful.

The issue arose the day before the coach went to have the tiles replaced with a new floor.  I was hoping someone might have a sim experience.  When I get it back I'll look to see what is where.  I wont show pics of the new floor since I doubt I will have all of the pertinent data ;-))).  Kidding.