Floor Vents

Larry Maida

Mine have 2 screws holding them down and I removed the covers and vacuumed what I could see but that is very limited.  I suppose with a strong vacuum you could try to close/block off all but one and attach it around the vent trying to suction the whole system?  Maybe an inexpensive fiber optic camera can look around to see if there's stuff in there?  Also, make sure your fan spins freely and is blowing fully at the source.  There could be leaks in the ducts allowing air to escape along the way.  Lots of potentials for low air flow. 

You can use a vac on one end, and use a long flexible pole or hose on the other inserted to agitate the dirt.  That's essentially how the pros do it just with the right tools.

You can also buy an inexpensive smartphone camera on a long stiff wire to inspect how bad it is, and your cleaning progress.  That gets inserted into the vents along the way.  You might want to add some filters at the vents (if you don't have them today) to catch loose material you stirred up for a few months of use afterwards so it doesn't get into the air.

I installed new AC's a couple months ago but before doing that I bought a cheap inspection camera and took a good look at my ducting.  Glad I did, I found several mouse holes and found that where two pieces of ducting was joined it had actually separated ~1/2" and there was no sealing tape, no telling how much conditioned air I was loosing through all the leaks.   Here's a picture of the gap, I could not even see where it was ever taped. 

I bought the cheapest inspection camera I could find thinking it was going to be hit or miss, this is what I bought https://www.ebay.com/itm/264797559966?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=564621749467&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

I was hoping to use my small tablet but it would not work, ended up having to use my laptop, which worked OK since I could use both hands to manipulate the camera and watch the scree.  I had a piece of thin flexible wood that I was able to shove into the vent and move it around to view the entire length of the ducting, which in my case was in the ceiling.  Worked pretty good. 

The hardest area for me to fix was the joint.   I ended up installing a whole new ceiling vent in that location to provide access.  Cut the hole the right size, used foil type tape to seal the seam, and then just installed the vent. 

Duct Gap.jpg

There might be some confusion with this thread.  Larry started the thread wanting information on cleaning out floor vents.  Some are posting about ceiling vents.

I have an 02 Monaco Diplomat, is it possible to vacuum out the furnace floor vents to get a better flow?  Is it as easy as just popping a cover and going at it with a shop vac?

Jim that was great!  Do hou think the same format would work with floor vents?  Do you know how I could get to them if they need work to clear out a blockage or  effect a repair?

I just ordered a camera. Also I going to incorporate the idea to open up vents and instead of just using a vacuum cleaner use a blower. Great 👍 Thank you all!  Merry Christmas 🎁 

An engineered vent system will be larger diameter at the source and taper down as exhaust vents are added to maintain the same flow at each exhaust vent.  I don't think this is the case with RV vents - they're just long tubes.  As a result vent flow is much worse at the ends.  It's just a fact of life. 

IMO,

- bob