Samsung RF18 Freezer Cooling issue on Inverter

63Hotrod

Changes to this residential unit last year and love it. But while traveling and running on the inverter the freezer defrost a bit not totally but not as cold. This refer part seems fine just the freezer.  Batteries are fine and charging while under way. Parked on 110 or Gen it works just fine Looking to find out what it does this 

• Like 1

One of the reasons for using a Samsung is the DC compressor runs well on a MSW inverter. I would check the voltage of the inverter power….problem may be the inverter, not the Samsung.

Are you sure that it is plugged into an Inverter driven outlet in the rear and the circuit breaker has not tripped.?

It has to be plugged into the Ice Maker duplex which is driven by the Inverter and powered by the Circuit Breaker marked Ice Maker.

What do the temp displays say for the fridge and the freezer after traveling for a long length of time while using the Inverter?

Edited by Dr4Film

21 minutes ago, Dr4Film said:

Are you sure that it is plugged into an Inverter driven outlet in the rear and the circuit breaker has not tripped.?

It has to be plugged into the Ice Maker duplex which is driven by the Inverter and powered by the Circuit Breaker marked Ice Maker.

What do the temp displays say for the fridge and the freezer after traveling for a long length of time while using the Inverter?

Richard, as usual, is spot on.  

make sure of the following.  
The “pin” circuit breakers on the Magnum are pushed in.

Make sure (this is the way it is on SOME coaches….not all) that the GCFI receptacle, usually in the hall vanity cabinet, is not tripped….but if it is tripped, you would,not have power to the Refer…

make sure that if you have TWO Outlets in the outside refer vent compartment, that you are using the ICEMAKER. Use a small lamp or a cell phone and charger and verify which one is LIVE or has 120 vac when all shore and Genny are off and the inverter is “inverting”.

one OTHER condition…. WEATHER.  If the installer did NOT cover and insulate the lower and upper (or remove and insulate the roof top vent) and the temperature drops into the mid 30’s, the Samsung will “drop out” and LOOK like it is cooling.  But it is in a FUNK.  The only way to fix that is to UNPLUG it for a few minutes.  Mine was installed in Marion, NC by Tom Johnson in the late fall.  Worked fine until midnight.  Went OUT.  Unplugged and it worked until 5:00.  Repeated for a few days.  Brought it home.  Insulates the upper and lower vent covers….really thick.  Used styrofoam panels and insulating and finally metal backed HVAC tape.

worked great after that and had a certified Samsung tech come out.  He said that the newer one would fail below 40….and that was a common complaint.  AJ Madison shows “cold weather” refrigerator/freezers that will work when below freezing.  The older ones were fine, then the new “Energy” standards kicked in and now there is temperature range.

good luck

Ivylog, have you confirmed the Samsung has a DC compressor? All residential fridges in the US are generally 110VAC. If it has a DC compressor then it must also have an AC to DC inverter on board, which mean when running on inverter power you are converting DC(battery) to AC and then AC to DC. Seem very inefficient.

I have been running mine for 4 years on a '03 vintage inverter. I was having issues getting below 40 degrees until I followed the painful directions in the include link here to calibrate the refrigerator. It took some trial and error. Although it mentions a different Samsung model the procedures were pretty much the same. After calibrating I have never looked back and been quite happy. 

https://www.appliancejunk.com/forums/index.php?topic=9857.0

Just a thought,

Ken

Edit:

Mine was fully insulated as suggested at time of install

Edited by Grampy OG
another thought