Leaking Steering Box-Rebuild or Replace?

My 2009 Dynasty with 75K, has a small steering box leak.  My local shop isn't equipped to replace the seals in the box and  has been trying to find a replacement or rebuilt unit.

Has anyone had to have their steering box rebuilt or replaced?

Should I look for another shop to deal with the repair?

Do you have records of which box was in your coach?

I found this in the parts list:

Steering Gear
R.H Sheppard Co., Inc
717-637-3751
www.rhsheppard.com

Thanks as always!

Happy Memorial Day!

On 5/29/2022 at 2:23 PM, LakeBob said:

My 2009 Dynasty with 75K, has a small steering box leak.  My local shop isn't equipped to replace the seals in the box and  has been trying to find a replacement or rebuilt unit.

Has anyone had to have their steering box rebuilt or replaced?

Should I look for another shop to deal with the repair?

Do you have records of which box was in your coach?

I found this in the parts list:

Steering Gear
R.H Sheppard Co., Inc
717-637-3751
www.rhsheppard.com

Thanks as always!

Happy Memorial Day!

Correction....Monaco was still, I found out, using Sheppards before they shut down.  If you do NOT have a Build Sheet, then call Rev.  They SHOULD have that.  The header on the Build Sheet has your SN, Fed VIN, Model, Order Number.  It is headed, under the Monaco Coach Corporation title as Recreational Vehicle Data Card.  We commonly, but probably mistakenly, call it a Build Sheet.  If you have the "gray case", it should be in there.  If Not, there is usually a copy posted or taped in the rear bedroom closet.  YOU NEED THIS....so I would TEAR apart all my "stuff" or look all over the MH until I found it. If NOT, then seek out REV....  In the interim, a 2009 Owner can chime in.....from his.

The Steering Gear line is probably towards the bottom.  YES, I have a Camelot....so a 2009 Dynasty might be different.  Mine is listed as this.

Manufacturer - TRW; Model - TAS65187A; SN - 10708PG6315. 

NOW....Quite honestly, the shop should be able to clean up the box and find the PN stamped on it.  TRW did a great job.  It might take an inspection camera or a mirror on the top. but there IS a PN on the box. If they can't find that, then I would be very dubious of letting them "fix something that they could not identify".  Seal leakage is rare, but should be easily corrected as these boxes are used on hundred of thousands of vehicles....

Good Luck...

Edited by Tom Cherry
Correction on Sheppard Gear box usage

Replace it with a rebuilt TRW.  Don't spend a dime on a Sheppard box.  Sheppard boxes were actually designed for slow speed heavy equipment (your coach should have had a TRW from the factory).  

This link is a thread with 100+ pages of issues with the Sheppard steering box.  Thousands of coach owners have swapped to a rebuilt TRW box from Weller.  

Steering Box Play- Sheppard M100 SHIM or Swap for a TRW ? - iRV2 Forums

• Like 1

Thanks all.  The shop did find a part number on the box, and yes, it was hard to find.  I didn't ask the brand, assuming its TRW.  I'll talk to them again on Tuesday.

Anyone have any recent pricing on rebuild costs?

We replaced our TRW box with a rebuild from Weller.  I don't think you will find a better box than the rebuilds from Weller and they stand behind their product.  We purchased our box from the their facility in Grand Rapids, Michigan.  It's a huge modern facility with all the latest machinery.  They are a top of the line rebuilder. They also rebuild Cummins, Cat, Allison and others.  Don't think you could go wrong purchasing one of their units. They replace all worn items, not just the seals.  When we purchased ours about a year ago it was $675.  God Bless and good luck on your project. Ed & Sylvia

1 hour ago, LakeBob said:

Thanks all.  The shop did find a part number on the box, and yes, it was hard to find.  I didn't ask the brand, assuming its TRW.  I'll talk to them again on Tuesday.

Anyone have any recent pricing on rebuild costs?

Comment. My box has 67 K on it.  All I have done to it, other than do a fluid reservoir and filter change, was to have it tweaked or adjusted to take up the play.  That was 15K ago and the adjustment was minor.

If the shop isn’t equipped to replace the seals, I would call TRW and see if there is a service center in the area that is “authorized”.  Then get a second opinion from them.  Maybe a rebuilt unit is more cost effective….maybe not.  If your unit is mechanically sound and has no wear, then let the TRW shop advise.

THEN…review the options.  Just some food for thought….these units are built to go 150K….but….you never know.  TRW tech support, with the PN, could be a gold mine for info and advice.

On 5/29/2022 at 2:38 PM, Tom Cherry said:

First, unless Monaco had some really OLD and OUTDATED steering boxes laying and around and was scrounging, you should NOT have a Sheppard unit.  From the chatter here and also knowing what is on a few earlier Dynasty's, you have a TRW.  If you do NOT have a Build Sheet, then call Rev.  They SHOULD have that.  The header on the Build Sheet has your SN, Fed VIN, Model, Order Number.  It is headed, under the Monaco Coach Corporation title as Recreational Vehicle Data Card.  We commonly, but probably mistakenly, call it a Build Sheet.  If you have the "gray case", it should be in there.  If Not, there is usually a copy posted or taped in the rear bedroom closet.  YOU NEED THIS....so I would TEAR apart all my "stuff" or look all over the MH until I found it. If NOT, then seek out REV....  In the interim, a 2009 Owner can chime in.....from his.

The Steering Gear line is probably towards the bottom.  YES, I have a Camelot....so a 2009 Dynasty might be different.  Mine is listed as this.

Manufacturer - TRW; Model - TAS65187A; SN - 10708PG6315. 

NOW....Quite honestly, the shop should be able to clean up the box and find the PN stamped on it.  TRW did a great job.  It might take an inspection camera or a mirror on the top. but there IS a PN on the box. If they can't find that, then I would be very dubious of letting them "fix something that they could not identify".  Seal leakage is rare, but should be easily corrected as these boxes are used on hundred of thousands of vehicles....

Good Luck...

I do have the "build sheet", which REV promptly sent in Jan, nothing regarding the steering box.

On 5/29/2022 at 3:44 PM, vito.a said:

Replace it with a rebuilt TRW.  Don't spend a dime on a Sheppard box.  Sheppard boxes were actually designed for slow speed heavy equipment (your coach should have had a TRW from the factory).  

This link is a thread with 100+ pages of issues with the Sheppard steering box.  Thousands of coach owners have swapped to a rebuilt TRW box from Weller.  

Steering Box Play- Sheppard M100 SHIM or Swap for a TRW ? - iRV2 Forums

Well......it appears that I have a Sheppard box......

The shop gave me: PKD31?

Reading all the referenced posts..........................

Working on confirming part numbers for the TRW replacement and new pitman arm.

Thanks!

1 hour ago, LakeBob said:

I do have the "build sheet", which REV promptly sent in Jan, nothing regarding the steering box.

Well......it appears that I have a Sheppard box......

The shop gave me: PKD31?

Reading all the referenced posts..........................

Working on confirming part numbers for the TRW replacement and new pitman arm.

Thanks!

Bummer on the REV Build Sheet.  Have you thoroughly searched the MH as well as all documents that you got when you purchased it?  What REV sent you sounds like the “production” build.  The real Monaco sheet is one that travels along in the MH.  When a major component is installed, the brand, model and serial number is recorded and then a computer generated sheet was on file.  REV may have lost or purged the files.  EVERY TIRE is listed.

It is YOUR MH & YOUR repair shop.  BUT open this and look. NO “P” SERIES.  

https://www.rhsheppard.com/customer-service/service-bulletins/

There is no PKD or PKD31* in the “search” box  in their files.  But, they do have instructions to identify the boxes.  This is pretty straight forward and you can see the output box shaft from the bottom.  I just talked to one of our experts.  Read him the instructions below.  He said the easiest was to look at the end of the shaft.  If there is an end cap with a bolt going up, it is a SHEPPARD.

If it has a “pinch clamp” and a bolt going into the clamp, it is a TRW

He also said the Monaco was still using Sheppards until they shut down…something I was not aware of.   MOST can be converted to a TRW…BUT, there is ONE Sheppard that needs a lot of “work” in the field, possibly a separate plate and modifying the chassis….that would not be for the faint of heart or inexperienced..  He has never done one…the bolt holes do NOT match up nor is there an adapter.  It is 100% essential that you have the exact Sheppard  part number, or so to get the correct replacement.  That way you KNOW, from the original Sheppard PN, that it will work. There are probably shops like Josams in Orlando that MIGHT be able to do it….but he said it looked like tough job.

I would want a picture of the output shaft or crawl under and look myself or drive it to an authorized TRW shop for identification….but that is your call.  We have had many folks spend countless $$’s where a shop was not qualified and in some cases, their repair attempts made the problem worse.

BUT…until it is physically inspected by a qualified technician….you never know….

I wish I could offer more precise and sound advice….you want to know, up front, before it is torn down, the OLD PN (if a Sheppard) so that the replacement unit will fit.  He believes these non interchangeable boxes might have been used in a “larger” unit….but can’t say or verify without doing the inspection.

Good Luck…

Identifying Sheppard® Cores

How to identify an R. H. Sheppard® steering gear core:

Step by step instructions:

Note: Steering gear cores being returned must be from the same vehicle the reman replacement was installed on.

• A Sheppard® gear output shaft has no groove. The Sheppard output shaft has a tapered spline with no groove in the shaft. The TRW® gear output shaft has a groove all the way around the shaft.

Thank you for the information and feedback. 

I'm confirming the part number, I couldn't find it either. 

The shop is waiting for TRW to get back to us regarding a direct replacement, this is the path I would like to head down. 

40 minutes ago, LakeBob said:

Thank you for the information and feedback. 

I'm confirming the part number, I couldn't find it either. 

The shop is waiting for TRW to get back to us regarding a direct replacement, this is the path I would like to head down. 

Good Deal.  BUT, you might also want to verify yourself....and make sure you have what you think you have.  I have asked one of our members for a copy of a 2009 Dynasty Build Sheet that HAS a Sheppard Box....which he was surprised at.  Hopefully he will find it and I will post it.

BUT here is a real find....

http://www.visualsc.com/Sheppard_vs_TRW_Steering.pdf

This is a presentation made by Mike Hughes, the Watts Link guy.  Go to page 12. Look at the slide. The TOP one is a TRW (note the GROOVE).  The bottom one is a Sheppard....NO GROOVE....  I also will attempt to attach a PDF of that slide....

Next up.... Here is the TYPICAL TRW Steering Gear Box....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/203777138290

Look at the first picture or blow it up.  See the BOLT that is tightening the arm. That arm goes OVER the TRW shaft.  The cross bolt goes through the clamp and the GROOVE is for clearance.  The Sheppard does NOT have the Pinch or Bolt Clamp. There is a NUT and cover that goes over the bottom and into or up into the shaft. EASY TO TELL.  I would verify or ask the shop for a picture.  Then you KNOW what box you have.... I also attached the pictures.

SO, now you can have the shop VERIFY the brand....and check it yourself.  

THEN....the next step is to either get a replacement or have a seal kit installed.  There is a write up on a Foretravel site about seal replacement on the Sheppard.  You can find them also on the TRW. If you TRW is mechanically sound, then most likely, the seal kit will be much cheaper....but you will have to visit another shop, apparently for that.

If you have a TRW, it is PROBABLY the TAS series....and here is the manual....

https://www.trwaftermarket.com/globalassets/na/trucksteering---literature/steeringgears-lit/steeringgears-sm/tas/trw_1108_02_07.pdf

Here is the Tech Support for TRW Heavy Duty.  They might suggest a dealer or repair shop in the Kansas City area.

Good Luck.

•   

TRW Steering Gear.jpg

TRW v SHEPPARD.pdf TRW v SHEPPARD.pdf

2 hours ago, Tom Cherry said:

Good Deal.  BUT, you might also want to verify yourself....and make sure you have what you think you have.  I have asked one of our members for a copy of a 2009 Dynasty Build Sheet that HAS a Sheppard Box....which he was surprised at.  Hopefully he will find it and I will post it.

BUT here is a real find....

http://www.visualsc.com/Sheppard_vs_TRW_Steering.pdf

This is a presentation made by Mike Hughes, the Watts Link guy.  Go to page 12. Look at the slide. The TOP one is a TRW (note the GROOVE).  The bottom one is a Sheppard....NO GROOVE....  I also will attempt to attach a PDF of that slide....

Next up.... Here is the TYPICAL TRW Steering Gear Box....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/203777138290

Look at the first picture or blow it up.  See the BOLT that is tightening the arm. That arm goes OVER the TRW shaft.  The cross bolt goes through the clamp and the GROOVE is for clearance.  The Sheppard does NOT have the Pinch or Bolt Clamp. There is a NUT and cover that goes over the bottom and into or up into the shaft. EASY TO TELL.  I would verify or ask the shop for a picture.  Then you KNOW what box you have.... I also attached the pictures.

SO, now you can have the shop VERIFY the brand....and check it yourself.  

THEN....the next step is to either get a replacement or have a seal kit installed.  There is a write up on a Foretravel site about seal replacement on the Sheppard.  You can find them also on the TRW. If you TRW is mechanically sound, then most likely, the seal kit will be much cheaper....but you will have to visit another shop, apparently for that.

If you have a TRW, it is PROBABLY the TAS series....and here is the manual....

https://www.trwaftermarket.com/globalassets/na/trucksteering---literature/steeringgears-lit/steeringgears-sm/tas/trw_1108_02_07.pdf

Here is the Tech Support for TRW Heavy Duty.  They might suggest a dealer or repair shop in the Kansas City area.

Good Luck.

•   

TRW Steering Gear.jpg

TRW v SHEPPARD.pdf 1.09 MB · 2 downloads TRW v SHEPPARD.pdf 1.09 MB · 1 download

Bob, et. al.  I decided to do a separate post for this...

Your 2009 Dynasty, IF IT HAS A SHEPPARD STEERING GEAR....it is their model M110....I REPEAT....M110.  That comes from an identical 2009 WITH the Sheppard box.

Your 2009 Dynasty, IF IT HAS A TRW STEERING GEAR...It is MOST LIKELY TAS85014A...99.9% confident that is is the TAS85014A.  Mine is the 65187A.  They are ESSENTIALLY the same....Here is the overall Service Manual for them.

If you contact TRW, they will send you the PDF of the seal kit....as that is the most commonly ordered item.  

Good Luck....let us know what you find out and the verification of the PN and what you end up doing.  This is the only way that we and others learn.

Thanks.

Just want to say I love this group and really appreciate everyone's feedback, support and all the shared knowledge.

I have confirmed I have a Sheppard Model Number M110 PKD3 1. in my 2009 Dynasty.   From Matt at Weller, the 1 designates the pitman arm used on the box.  Matt and the other steering guru's at Weller confirmed there is not a direct TRW replacement for the M110.  .  He advised they do have a list, however the M110 does not have a TEW replacement, unless you want to fabricate a new mount, etc.   

Of course, they will rebuild the M110, using their core or will rebuild mine, if I think I have one of the "better" Sheppard units. 

I only have about 2000 miles behind the wheel, and the steering does not seem that bad.   I will pay much more attention on my next long drive. 

I do have a small leak, I'm not sure what I will do at this point. 

From Matt at Weller: 

Good afternoon Bob, 

The M110 PKD3 is on our list of units we have not found a suitable match for in the TRW line at this time unfortunately. The housings between the PKD and 014 are very different and would take quite a bit of work to make it happen. We do have a core to build you a replacement and a unit ready to go in our Cleveland location. If you are happy with your gearbox and it is just leaking R&Ring your gearbox is another option. We are happy to assist you in any way we can. Below are pictures of the PKD3 and 014 gearboxes. 

Matthew MillerSteering Dept.

1500 Gezon Pkwy SW

Wyoming, MI 49509

616-724-3762

Just now, LakeBob said:

Just want to say I love this group and really appreciate everyone's feedback, support and all the shared knowledge.

I have confirmed I have a Sheppard Model Number M110 PKD3 1. in my 2009 Dynasty.   From Matt at Weller, the 1 designates the pitman arm used on the box.  Matt and the other steering guru's at Weller confirmed there is not a direct TRW replacement for the M110.  .  He advised they do have a list, however the M110 does not have a TEW replacement, unless you want to fabricate a new mount, etc.   

Of course, they will rebuild the M110, using their core or will rebuild mine, if I think I have one of the "better" Sheppard units. 

I only have about 2000 miles behind the wheel, and the steering does not seem that bad.   I will pay much more attention on my next long drive. 

From Matt at Weller: 

Good afternoon Bob, 

The M110 PKD3 is on our list of units we have not found a suitable match for in the TRW line at this time unfortunately. The housings between the PKD and 014 are very different and would take quite a bit of work to make it happen. We do have a core to build you a replacement and a unit ready to go in our Cleveland location. If you are happy with your gearbox and it is just leaking R&Ring your gearbox is another option. We are happy to assist you in any way we can. Below are pictures of the PKD3 and 014 gearboxes. 

1500 Gezon Pkwy SW

Wyoming, MI 49509

616-724-3762

M110.jpg

TRW.jpg.png

1 minute ago, LakeBob said:

From Matt at Weller: 

Good afternoon Bob, 

1500 Gezon Pkwy SW

Wyoming, MI 49509

616-724-3762

M110.jpg

TRW.jpg.png

Top Picture: Sheppard M110 - PKD3 1

Bottom Picture: TRW  TAS85014A

• 5 months later...

I am attempting a Sheppard M100 to the TRW TAS65 swap on my 2002 Windsor 40PKDD. I identified my Sheppard as a model number PLG3 2. This number is stamped on the original Sheppard steering gear.

Weller has specified a replacement TAS65 150M steering gear and a 8079498M pitman arm. 
I have not seen these numbers on anyones swap. The “M” is for “modified”. Per Matt at Weller both the steering gear and the pitman arm must be modified.

Steering gear is $739.81 Pitman arm is $422.19.

Can anyone check to see if these numbers match anything anyone else has used. 
Thanks

E560A97B-5624-44B3-A277-03D42FAB03CF.jpeg

• 2 months later...

Rather than start a new post I thought I would ask my question on this thread. I am in the process of removing my drag link and noticed some leaking on my steering box. It looks like it’s coming from the top because it’s wet down the entire side and it looks like one of the hose fittings is discolored in the picture. I think I will have someone inside turning the wheel back and forth to see if I can find the seepage. Can anyone from the pictures determine if it’s a Sheppards or TRW box? 

DD84A16F-B49D-4A5C-88D8-D21D9C9E6E08.jpeg

89D18F25-F4D5-413B-B5AE-F30281D453EE.jpeg

860EF790-F9B8-4C99-A220-309E5BA0B84B.jpeg

133C41A1-7351-414B-BB98-C4E4D375569B.jpeg

Guest Ray Davis

Mike, I'm no expert but I see an adjusting screw and lock nut in the last picture.   I believe that identifies it as a TRW box.