Inverter, refrigerator

We have a 2006 monaco and our refrigerator works off the inverter when we're traveling.  Our last trip it wasn't working so we checked our batteries and the batteries were dry so we put water in all of them and the refrigerator still isn't working only when we have shore power.  Are the batteries dead now cause we let them dry out? The inverter is on. Is there a restart switch we have to push on the inverter or do we need to buy all new batteries? The lights still work in the coach but not the refrigerator.  Any help would be appreciated 

Your Executive will have a Magnum inverter.  The exact model depends on if it came factory equipped with a residential refrigerator. 

You first need to check voltage on the house batteries.  

If they have 12v or more then perform a reset on the inverter.  If not then replace the batteries.  Take a picture of the wiring before disconnecting.  

Good luck!

The absolute worst thing you can do to a set of House batteries is to let then run dry. Chances are you may have toasted the set of batteries.

I would do as Vito suggested and first make sure the batteries are topped off with distilled water. Then charge them fully until they read 13.4 or 13.5 VDC at Float SOC while hooked to the charger. Also, as he stated, do a reset on the Inverter. There are also two small circuit breakers on the Inverter that may have tripped. Check to make sure they are working.

Most inverters have a built-in low voltage disconnect so that if the batteries get below around 10.5 Volts the inverter/ charger is disconnected from the batteries to prevent further damage to either the inverter out the batteries.   It will not reconnect until the battery voltage is above 11 Volts or so.  You have to recharge them with an external charger.

-Rick N 

12 hours ago, Duanebalogh said:

We have a 2006 monaco and our refrigerator works off the inverter when we're traveling.  Our last trip it wasn't working so we checked our batteries and the batteries were dry so we put water in all of them and the refrigerator still isn't working only when we have shore power.  Are the batteries dead now cause we let them dry out? The inverter is on. Is there a restart switch we have to push on the inverter or do we need to buy all new batteries? The lights still work in the coach but not the refrigerator.  Any help would be appreciated 

Your Executive has TWO Inverters.  Just to verify, I downloaded the 2006 manual.  Yes.  One or both need to be reset.  The EASY away to do that is go to your breaker panel.  There is an Inverter breaker on each side (Line 1 & Line 2).  Turn off each.  Unplug from shore and have the Genny off.  You need to do a Soft Reset.  Google it for info.  I THINK that your Magnums are figured as “Stacked” …but it does not matter.  If you have ONE Magnum remote, then there is a phone cable on the RED phone Jack that connects the two.

Hold IN the power or ON switch for 20 seconds or so.  Again POWER OFF.  I would try to do that with each hand if that is possible so they do it simultaneously.

Now…wait a few minutes.  Connect to Shore or Start the Genny.  Wait until the Genny has run for 3 minutes…then turn on the TWO breakers.

You MAY have to push the ON button on the Remote.  You should see “Charging” and a current and voltage reading…I am familiar with one….not 2…but they are working in tandem.  IF you do NOT know how to configure the Magnum Inverter, read the manual .  Do NOT use SEARCH - disable that.  Magnum will talk you through this over the phone.  As you do it…WRITE IT DOWN!.

ODDS ARE….you LOST an inverter that powered the refrigerator.  You DO have DUAL BIRD Charging.  So when you were driving, even if your Coach batteries were toast, then your alternator would have provided current and voltage and the inverter would have supplied 120 VAC.  Again, this is my trouble shooting and knowledge base.

You SHOULD be OK, as far as the Inverters are concerned.  Just remember how they work.  Start around page 247 in your manual and read.  Very good.  It also explains your batteries. NOW, depending on the brand and how long without water and such….it DEPENDS.  You have 8 batteries so that would be a $1200 expense, 

If you want to spend $20 and buy a hydrometer and do some simple testing….you can find out….otherwise, most dealers will say…BAD.  Now if you do this and they are marginal, at least they will,be properly charged and the load testing will be correct.

For FUTURE INFO….you MUST, for most of us here unless you do continuous dry camping, keep your batteries exercised.  AGM or Wet flooded….same deal.  That way, you won’t toast the new ones,

You will need to do,this.  After they are charged….generator or Shore. Then you must run them down.  The easiest…. Buy two 500 watt halogen work lights,..NOT LED.  That is ideal for drawing them at a programmed rate.  You need around 1000 watts due to your 8 batteries.  don’t use a load greater than 1000 watts as it will drain them too rapidly.  From an Electrical Engineering calculation, and I am going way back to my double EE days in college and practical as well), you will drain a good bank of 8 down to 50% in 3 hours.  Now, if the refrigerator  is on, turn it off or get a lower wattage set of lights, say 300.

Make sure the batteries are filled properly.  I used a wooden dowel.  I put the dowel in the cell and carefully eyeballed or marked where the bottom of the recessed well with the split sides are.  Whatever that distance, divide in half.  Use a knife and cut a groove around the dowel maybe 1/8” up or higher.  That is you OK FILL TO MARK. NOW, you have a dip stick, wipe it dry with a a paper towel and it works great each time.

Drain or load test the batteries.  Use your Remote.  When the voltage at the remote is flickering between 11.9 and 12.0, you are at 50%.  The first time, check it every 15 minutes.  Record the time and voltage.  Unplug the lights.  HOPEFULLY you can run an extension cord to,the refrigerator from another source. Unplug or use a power strip and turn OFF all TV and electronics such as the home entertainment stuff.  When they are “off” but plugged in, they have a parasitic load….they need to be turned off via a surge or power strip or unplugged.  Wait about an hour.  The voltage should come up a tenth or two. IF you have a VOM, measure it On each bank,.  Your remote will be about a tenth or two LOWER.  

NOW….the BIGGIE….look this up in Amazon.  On sale now..$11. EZRED SP101 Battery Hydrometer.  That is the most accurate for,the money.

Make a diagram or a spreadsheet of your house batteries and the 3 cells.  Use the Hydrometer to measure the Specific Gracity.  On this one, you have to fill the reservoir up to the BLACK MARK.  Do this carefully each time….you will quickly get the hang of it.  VERY IMPORTANT for accuracy and consistency.

OK… look at the Specific Gravity for each cell based on the table below.  You have 6 volt batteries….

Compare each cell to the chart.  In a perfect world, your batteries would be around 50%.  I’ll bet that some are lower and there is a difference.  Record the value as to state of charge for each cell.

Refill using distilled water.  Recharge.  NOW, record the specific gravity.  Record the state of charge.  If one cell, or any is way below….that battery is toast.  It has to be replaced.  But, if you do this 3 times…..assuming most are OK, you MIGHT agent them all back to 80%.  So…no need for new batteries.  NOTE…the cells in ONE battery must be “close” and you use the average.  If one is in the RED Zone, it MIGHT a come up after a few drains and recharges.  But if it is still there….that battery is GONE.

This was long, but it has also helped folks understand the importance of running down to 50% or so, their batteries.  We have a member that is meticulous in maintenance.  He has an eight or maybe NINE year old bank of 8 Trojan T105.  THey are still almost 100%  but he does the run down methodically every 3 - 5 months….

Trojans are the ones he and I use.  We are old school….and don’t go the AGM route.  The AGM is probably a better performer, but it is more finicky.  OK in a car. But if you abuse or don’t properly charge or overcharge (External chargers will KILL a battery unless you monitor and understand HOW to use them), you can kill an AGM and you are out $2000 or so.  wet cells are more forgiving.

NOW…tell us what you do and what works or what happens….we all learn… 

1994851F-24BF-4DC0-A701-7494FBB4EFDA.png

Tom you are technically you are perfect. I would add tho that the easiest way to get the perfect water level in the cells is a filler bottle like the 1 NAPA sells. I  used those since 1860. ON 1 coach that installed l 16s in i had to modify it a bit . perfect water level quickly and easily.

19 minutes ago, welleking said:

Tom you are technically you are perfect. I would add tho that the easiest way to get the perfect water level in the cells is a filler bottle like the 1 NAPA sells. I  used those since 1860. ON 1 coach that installed l 16s in i had to modify it a bit . perfect water level quickly and easily.

Thanks 

can I tell my wife of almost 57 years…..that would then save valuable time and energy as she is still molding and sculpting and correcting me…. Lol

we learn a lot here that we can pass on.  I used a flip top squirt bottle and my hardwood dowel….will look at your suggestion 

25 minutes ago, welleking said:

The easiest way to get the perfect water level in the cells is a filler bottle like the 1 NAPA sells.

I use this one that I bought from Amazon. Love it and so easy to use with no fuss & no mess, always the perfect amount of distilled water.

However, they only work if you have the room on top for the bottle or the batteries are on slides so they are out in the open to access the filler caps easily.

Amazon.com: Battery Filler Jug 2 Quarts : Automotive

8 hours ago, Tom Cherry said:

Thanks 

can I tell my wife of almost 57 years…..that would then save valuable time and energy as she is still molding and sculpting and correcting me…. Lol

we learn a lot here that we can pass on.  I used a flip top squirt bottle and my hardwood dowel….will look at your suggestion 

I JUST LOVE READING ON THIS SITE  and I lean a lot, so thank you all