Shore power with no batteries

I'm not sure why.  I'd definitely disconnect the charger in the inverter.  Most AC outlets go through the inverter.  Many things like A/Cs won't work without 12-volt DC for the control circuits.  Lights all work off 12-volt DC.  If you explain why you are considering this, might be able to give you better advise. 

- Rick N 

Edited by waterskier_1
correct spelling/auto correct errors.

3 hours ago, waterskier_1 said:

I'm not sure why.  I'd definitely disinfect the charger in the inverter.  Most AC outlets go through the inverter.  Many things like A/Cs won't work without 12-volt DC for the Vinton circuits.  Lifts all work off 12-volt DC.  If you explain why you are considering this, might be able to give you better advise. 

- Rick N 

Technically, the Inverter, when off, WILL PASS THROUGH the 120 VAC.  Most, if not all of the interior lights, fans, AC’s (no 12VDC to controls), cable TV amplifier, awnings, etc, will NOT WORK….BUT other than that, yes.

Without an inverter, the Chassis batteries will fail to be charged….and if the Genny starts on the house bank, it won’t start.

1 hour ago, Tom Cherry said:

Technically, the Inverter, when off WILL PASS THROUGH the 120 VAC.  Most, if not all of the interior lights, fans, AC’s (no 12VDC to controls, cable TV amplifier, awnings, etc, will NOT WORK….BUT other than that, yes.

Without an inverter, the Chassis batteries will fail to be charged….and if the Genny starts on the house bank, it won’t start.

My auto correct got the best of that post.  It should read that "I'd definitely DISCONNECT (turn off) the battery charger".  It's not clear how the charger would react to an open circuit.  The "Vinton circuits" should read "control circuits".  "Lifts all work off 12 VDC" should read "Lights all work..."  

Thanks Tom for clearly restating what I intended.   I've gone back and edited my post so others won't be so confused.

-Rick N.

3 hours ago, waterskier_1 said:

I'm not sure why.  I'd definitely disconnect the charger in the inverter.  Most AC outlets go through the inverter.  Many things like A/Cs won't work without 12-volt DC for the control circuits.  Lights all work off 12-volt DC.  If you explain why you are considering this, might be able to give you better advise. 

- Rick N 

No batteries at moment. Long-term would like to use like a house without the battery maintenance. Have used a single deep cycle battery in past but not ideal.

On one occasion, we plugged into shore power with the house batteries turned off. We noticed the 12 volt house lights were flickering, so still getting 12 volt power from the inverter. Turning on house batteries cured the problem.

2000 Diplomat

2 hours ago, pulsarjab said:

On one occasion, we plugged into shore power with the house batteries turned off. We noticed the 12 volt house lights were flickering, so still getting 12 volt power from the inverter. Turning on house batteries cured the problem.

2000 Diplomat

I highly recommend a 12V battery in the system.  It doesn't need to be much but it flattens out (absorbs) any spikes in the circuit and bridges the gap (supplies) when sudden loads are applied (more than turning on a light).  Even an old battery will be fine, and AGM so you don't have to check water / electrolyte levels. 

- bob

OK, good points, but to add, The inverter does not provide voltage to any of the 12 volt items in the coach. The inverter /charger provides 12V to the battery's which are storage for the house 12V power in the coach, and then the batteries provide power to all he 12V systems.  This is accomplished on a 03 Executive in the high amperage distribution panel. 

I have lived in the coach connected to shore power with the batteries remove so I could clean and repaint the battery compartment and tray.  The 120 volts to the outlets passes through the inverter/charger. The charging function provides 12 volt DC to the lights and controls.

Now, this may not apply to all coaches because it depends on how the batteries are wired into the system.  My batteries are on a rollout tray and the 12 volt feed from the inverter goes to a terminal post which has the house supply and battery supply connected to it.  The battery disconnect for the house batteries is between this post and the batteries.  Thus, when the battery disconnects are turned off the inverter still provides 12 volt power.