Front air bag blew

2004 DYNASTY 

Drivers front original air bag blew while manually leveling. New air bag is installed and working fine after using a number of choice words.

Upon inspection of the blown air bag it is very evident that it has been rubbing on the front shock as the contact with the shock has worn about 3/4 if the way  into the bag. The  original bag was only about 1/8 in from the shock. The new bag is the same.

Any thoughts to keep it from happening  again? Perhaps move the shock brackets a 1/2 in or?

Thanks in advance

Mike

When I was checking out my airbags for cracking, I found screw points that were about 2 inches away from the airbags.  This really was a concern to me.  The screws were mounting screws that were for the service light in the front run 12V distribution bay on the driver's side.  Why the used 2" screws for this I don't know.  Replaced with 1/2" screws and fell much better now.  I have checked all the other bags for similar items that could cause a puncture.  Call me paranoid, but your situation shows that it can happen.  Fortunately my shocks are not that close to the airbags.

2 minutes ago, bmulvenna@hotmail.com said:

Thank you.

For future reference, the following information is listed on page 23 of our parts list.

On almost all RR10 Roadmaster Chassis:  All 10 air bags are the same - Contitech 99-12; Monaco PN 0180-4591 @ $569 each; Automann PN AB1DK20D-8897 @ $157.

Other cross numbers are Firestone W01-358-8897 with 3/4" inlet, W01-358-9376 with 1/4' inlet, Triangle AS-8730, TRP AS88970.

Continental #AS8897 has a 3/4" air inlet. Often Monaco used 3/4"inlet airbags and put in a bushing if ping tanks weren't used

Note: if ping tanks are used, 3/4" inlet is needed. Dynasty used ping tanks on front axle; Sig uses ping tanks on front and drive axles.

1 hour ago, Frank McElroy said:

For future reference, the following information is listed on page 23 of our parts list.

On almost all RR10 Roadmaster Chassis:  All 10 air bags are the same - Contitech 99-12; Monaco PN 0180-4591 @ $569 each; Automann PN AB1DK20D-8897 @ $157.

Other cross numbers are Firestone W01-358-8897 with 3/4" inlet, W01-358-9376 with 1/4' inlet, Triangle AS-8730, TRP AS88970.

Continental #AS8897 has a 3/4" air inlet. Often Monaco used 3/4"inlet airbags and put in a bushing if ping tanks weren't used

Note: if ping tanks are used, 3/4" inlet is needed. Dynasty used ping tanks on front axle; Sig uses ping tanks on front and drive axles.

Amazing timing on this post. I have been researching airbags all day. I have a hole in the driver's side drive axle front bag. That sucker will be tough to get out of there. It looks like the Contitech have about an inch more travel overall on inflated and deflated size. Those of us with air leveling only, may need that extra travel with the Contitech. Unfortunately those are not available here in Vegas. Must be shipped in and will not arrive until next week. We are hitting the road on Thursday so I am going Firestone. My trusty super mechanic prefers the Firestone as that what he puts on all the heavy haul trucks. They are more money but good is never cheap and cheap is never good. At least that is what my Dad always said. 

15 hours ago, Frank McElroy said:

Note: if ping tanks are used, 3/4" inlet is needed.

Frank, are ping tanks the small horizontal tanks that are supplying the airbags?  I have two of these on my front axle of a 2006 Windsor.  One for each set of airbags. They are not on my rear axle.  What is the purpose of these tanks?

13 minutes ago, Bill R said:

Frank, are ping tanks the small horizontal tanks that are supplying the airbags?  I have two of these on my front axle of a 2006 Windsor.  One for each set of airbags. They are not on my rear axle.  What is the purpose of these tanks?

Yes, these are the ping tanks.  There are large 3/4" hoses between the two air bags and the ping tank in each side of the steer axle.  These tanks in effect greatly increase the air volume of the air bags to give you a softer ride up front.  The large air hoses allow for rapid air movement between the ping tank and the airbags connected to it.

• Like 1

Guest Ray Davis
4 minutes ago, Frank McElroy said:

Yes, these are the ping tanks.  There are a large 3/4" hoses between the two air bags and the ping tank in each side of the steer axle.  These tanks in effect greatly increase the air volume of the air bags to give you a softer ride up front.  The large air hoses allow for rapid air movement between the ping tank and the airbags connected to it.

Humm,  could I plumb my big ol propane tank into my front air bags?  😁 I could really go for a smoother ride especially at those bridge joints.  👍