ABS codes

My manual has the procedure to retrieve the codes.  I have a small module in my front drivers side run bay that has a button and an LED light.  I turn the key on, don't start engine, press the brake pedal 1 time, go out and around to the front bay and press the button for 1-2 seconds.  It will then provide a 2 part blink code.  If there are no codes it will blink 1-1. 

There are other things that can cause the ABS light to stay on. 

Once you get the blink codes you can find the meaning.  Attached is a document I found a while back that explains the system and the blink codes.  Search the internet, lots of other info out there. 

ABS ATC file.pdf

• Like 1

On my 2000 Dynasty there is a button located next to the diagnostics ports above the Pac brake floor switch. The procedure to retrieve ABS codes is; turn key on, depress brake pedal once, hold button for 3 seconds and release. The ABS light will start blinking count the blinks there will be delay in the blinking then resume that is the second code. Mine, 17 blinks then a delay and 1 more blink.  "17-1"

This was explained in my owners manual but no code interpretation.

I have read on this and other forums the button can be located in the FRB and behind the instrument cluster, It depends on the year and maybe the model. 

Anyone trying to retrieve their blink codes needs to read their manuals and follow those instructions. 

At some point when I was trying to retrieve codes I held the button down too long, which (I found out later) put the system into DYNO mode and the light stayed on all the time. The ABS light stayed on all the time.   Normally you can defeat this by simply turning the key off then on and the light would go out, mine would not.  When I retrieved the codes it gave me the code saying it was in DYNO mode but it would not reset.  Spent lots of time reading and finally found a procedure using the brake pedal and ABS diagnostic button to reset the system.  It took 2 people since the brake pedal had to be held down while pressing the button in a certain sequence. 

While I was searching for the answer to my problem I came across an Addendum that Monaco put out for my year coach that specifically says not to press the button for more then 2 seconds.  I guess others were having the same problem of holding the button too long.   See attached

This was for 2002 model years for

Navigator

Executive

Windsor

Imperial

Diplomat LE

Scepter

Diplomat

Endeavor Diesel

abs_atc_system Monaco Addendum.pdf

On my 2000 Dynasty there is a button located next to the diagnostics ports above the Pac brake floor switch. The procedure to retrieve ABS codes is; turn key on, depress brake pedal once, hold button for 3 seconds and release. The ABS light will start blinking count the blinks there will be delay in the blinking then resume that is the second code. Mine, 17 blinks then a delay and 1 more blink.  "17-1"

This was explained in my owners manual but no code interpretation.

I have read on this and other forums the button can be located in the FRB and behind the instrument cluster, It depends on the year and maybe the model. 

Gary, Bob and Jim, 

Thank you for your responses to my ABS question. 

This is my plan, determine which brand of ABS system I have then continue looking for code interpretations.  Clean all the sensors and adjust the clearances. hopefully that will clear the ABS code.... we shall see'

This will have wait till we return from an upcoming trip sans RV. I will report back.

Again, thanks for the input.

Dennis

I read the manual but still can't find the switch. I don't even see an ABS test port like some of the diagrams show. The only thing I've found under the left side of the dash is the engine diagnostic port, which I have my Scan Gauge plugged in to. That's not mounted to anything, but just hanging amongst the wires. 2001 Diplomat

Andrew,

Without sounding like smart aleck, Monaco's has the reputation of being "snowflakes" no 2 are alike even within the same year and model. Monaco was always "improving/upgrading components". 

Mine is not a port just a silver button. Have you looked in the front electrical bay?

On 7/9/2022 at 5:22 PM, RVhorod said:

Hi All,

I am looking for ABS codes for a 2000 Dynasty. Mine has thrown code 17-1. anybody know what this code means?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Our 2000 has an Eaton ABS system and I actually had code 17-1. Not many systems have codes going that numerically high and the 2 I have seen both meant the same, a Retarder Circuit short or open. Mine was a broken wire in a bundle. Fun to find. 

Dennis, I my configuration, the retarder signal is supposed to interrupt Jake brake operation when a wheel slip is detected while in use. The ABS brain is checking for continuity through retarder relay winding in my FRB. My relay checked out good so I had to locate the ECU in ceiling of a baggage bay and tone the corresponding wire. I had a break in that wire in a bundle by my left foot where it goes from cockpit into FRB. Tone tracer was a big help. I'd check the relay and connections first.

On 7/9/2022 at 8:42 PM, jacwjames said:

ABS ATC file.pdf 810.39 kB · 34 downloads

RVhorod, Dennis:

You most likely have a Eaton/Bendix Gen 4 or 5  ABS system..... JacwJames provided the above PDF of their service manual.  page 24 is where you will find the 17-1 code as Ivan explained.

Before going too far troubleshooting be sure to check the "configuration".....  

There are some 'resets' that can only be done with a computer hook up.

Wheel speed sensor faults sometimes require a drive down the road to 'clear'

Ken