COACHNET Towing & Coverage Understanding

My son works at Delta in Atlanta and was leaving work and got involved in an accident on i285 yesterday. He is fine but his pride and joy Nissan hardbody got destroyed. He was hit from behind by a drunk women with two small kids in the car. I got there in about 30 min and decided to try and get the truck towed myself. I called Coach.net because it covers all our vehicles. The guy tells me because it was involved in an accident it wasn’t covered for towing. I was like WHAT!! Are you kidding me. I was so passed I just hung up. Afterwards I was thinking so if I am in an accident in my Motorhome it’s not covered as well? So it’s only good if you break down? Have any of you come across this? I’m calling them tomorrow. Btw the women got arrested and charged with DUI. 

Steve,

I have had multiple battery jumps, one for the Dynasty the following day after driving off the sales lot, and two other ones for two different cars. No problems whatsoever except the guy that showed up to jump my Cummins ISL 400 in the Dynasty didn't show up with enough amps to turn the engine over. He called his wife to come with bigger equipment and 20 minutes later they had the coach running.

Frankly, I haven't had ANY problems or concerns with Coach-Net during the past 12 years that I have had them. I won't use anyone else.

Maybe it's the quality of the service people they eventually find to take on the service call. I don't believe it is the people at Coach-Net. They always make a follow-up call to make sure the service was up to your expectations. So, there's your opportunity to express your dissatisfaction with the service company that took on the call. Possibly, Coach-Net would then take notice of service companies that are not providing the level of service that THEY expect and put them on their do not call blacklist.

• Like 1

Richard, I called the number for Coach net. The first thing he asked me was am I in a safe place. Then I told him I needed a tow because the vehicle had been in an accident. He put me on hold and came back as if he needed to ask someone a question and then told me I would have to pay for the tow because Coachnet wouldn’t cover it because it was in an accident. That’s what im concerned about them covering towing if our Motorhomes gets into an accident. Has any of your experience’s with them involved that scenario? 

You need to verify with CoachNet but this is the way that I read the policy and the coverage was explained.  The coverage is for the RV (MH?) Listed.  That covers it for any of the “reasons”.

NOW….(this may have changed) the “owner” of the MH is the “Member”.  Anyone “living” with the member is covered.  There is no “listing” of other vehicles.  The Member receives a card and I think the “partner” receives another.  

CoachNet services actually cover ANY VEHICLE that a member, partner, child (living with member) is driving OR is an occupant in (riding with).  I have used it to jump start my daughter’s car while on vacation and we were at a restaurant….

That’s my understanding…..so, the accident was not covered as it (the NISSAN) is not the insured RV (MH).

Take this a a generic understanding as I dropped our supplemental “AAA” coverage.  Now….a comment from our independent agent.  It is sometimes preferred to have a supplemental policy like CoachNet or AAA rather than through you auto policy as they have been known to treat a stranded tow as a “claim” and raise your premiums.  Again….check with your agent….not ALL companies do that

• Tom Cherry changed the title to COACHNET Towing & Coverage Understanding

I just got off the phone with Coachnet and they don’t cover towing of ANY vehicles that are involved in an accident including your Motorhome because of insurance liabilities. She is going to email the fine print. So just so everyone knows if your in an accident it’s on your own dime.

25 minutes ago, Georgia Mike said:

I just got off the phone with Coachnet and they don’t cover towing of ANY vehicles that are involved in an accident including your Motorhome because of insurance liabilities. She is going to email the fine print. So just so everyone knows if your in an accident it’s on your own dime.

Curious….but NOT surprising.  The real question…..assuming you have collision on the MH, then I assume that towing as part of an Accident is included in that coverage.

I THINK that the “hey, you want towing and road service riders” that most auto policies offer are limited to “road service calls NOT the result of an accident”.  So, if you do NOT have collision, then THAT is when you are going to pay big bucks for “tank retriever” tow truck (or low boy” you need…

That is how I think it would be…..I DO recall asking if I had “towing/road service” through my MH policy (Liability, Collision & Comprehensive) and was told NO as well as NOT AVAILABLE.  That is why I kept the CoachNet in force.

Mike, I had a similar experience a month ago when my wife got hung up on a curb in a parking lot. They claimed that was an accident and they do not cover accidents. I argued, and lost, that I considered this a need for "roadside assistance" which I thought was the purpose of the policy. Big disappointment with Coach Net. I just called FMCA Roadside Assistance which I used to have and they said they also do not cover this situation.

52 minutes ago, Georgia Mike said:

So everyone should look at your insurance policy you have for your Motorhome and see if it covers towing of your Motorhome. That’s my next call.

YES…..but if “road service/breakdown and/or ACCIDENT….  Need to be specific….  I was and that influenced my decision, along with the aforementioned CoachNet member benefits to stay with CoachNet as primary for Road/Service on MH as MH policiy only induced Accident Towing.

1 hour ago, Georgia Mike said:

So everyone should look at your insurance policy you have for your Motorhome and see if it covers towing of your Motorhome. That’s my next call.

Mike, I think you have determined that Coach-net will not pay, and a lot of that has to do with state laws requiring people to carry Liability and uninsured motorists coverage on vehicles.
There are likely two possibilities for payment here. First is the liability coverage on the at fault drivers car, which is responsible for towing cost and damage.
Second, if no coverage, your son’s car likely has uninsured motorists coverage, which pays for damage or injuries caused by an uninsured driver, and/or collision coverage. Either the UM or collision coverage should pay for the towing, unless you have rejected the UM.

I have Nationwide through Farm and City Insurance in Iowa.  This is my experience in 2012-12 I hit a tree in Grand Canyon National Park and damaged the driver's side and roof.  About $24,000 to repair $1,000 deductible.  Summer 20021 had a blow out in Texas and Ohio covered under the road service coverage in the policy.  Summer 2022 brushed an orange barrel in NV.  Above $12,000 deductible $100 because of 10 years of accident-free driving. They completely replaced the front film and repainted.  November 2022 towed 95 miles under the road service coverage $3003.  Haven't needed a tow from an accident so I need to check into that.  I haven't seen any premium increase that I am aware of. FCIS has been helpful when needed helps avoid the telephone run around.