Magnum Remote Batt Amp hr setting

63Hotrod

After trying every fix suggested I am going to replace the inverter and the remote The inverter is the same model as was installed in 2008 but the remote is a newer version Me-ARC50 recommended by Magnum

I need some help on the settings as we use an Blue Seas ARC when it sees a charge source it connects both battery banks for charging. The banks are the normal 6 volt x 4 G2-c in series and two G31 in parallel. So do I add to the 450 amp hr the two 12 volt batteries at 110 for a 670 bank or leave it at 450 as before.

Any suggestions on setting up the new remote is appreciated 

2 hours ago, 63Hotrod said:

After trying every fix suggested I am going to replace the inverter and the remote The inverter is the same model as was installed in 2008 but the remote is a newer version Me-ARC50 recommended by Magnum

I need some help on the settings as we use an Blue Seas ARC when it sees a charge source it connects both battery banks for charging. The banks are the normal 6 volt x 4 G2-c in series and two G31 in parallel. So do I add to the 450 amp hr the two 12 volt batteries at 110 for a 670 bank or leave it at 450 as before.

Any suggestions on setting up the new remote is appreciated 

EDIT….  Your title raises the question.  Are you replacing the original Square or modified Wave with the same technology….many have replaced their older Magnums, but typically upgrade to the MS Series…..or the Pure Sine Wave…..just a thought…..as I reread the title???

First, I would call Magnum and let them guide you.  The settings on the remote should be pretty much the same….Search Watts OFF: Low battery cut off 12.9 VDC, Low AC 100 VAC.  That is about the only thing the the ARC has in common with the standard ME-ARC…..

Now comes the interesting part.  Make sure that the ME-ARC50 is compatible with your new Inverter.  Magnum has several different revisions of the ME-RC and each screen as well as each feature, or additional features have changed.  I upgraded my 2009 circa 2021 and the screens are totally different.  

I am NOT TRYING to discourage your choice of remotes, however, I made the call to Magnum and went against their “stock” recommendation….as they seem to “ALWAYS” recommend the ARC ….JUST IN CASE YOU EVER MIGHT WANT TO BUY THEIR BATTERY MONITOR KIT (BMK).  I know we have many here that want more precise monitoring information as well as more precision or perhaps, more intelligent, monitoring and charging….so they can charge based on the real battery needs and not some preset or obscure measurements.

BUT, when I made the call to KISS and purchase the same type remote ME-RC, I did do some internal evaluation as to the complexity as well as the benefits and my own “personality”.  My gut said,,,,if you want the ARC, then go ahead and purchase the BMK and do it properly.  I could not see any cost benefit, to me, h by having the ARC.  I only have the 4 (2 bank) system and I decided a while back to forgo removal of the Propane tank and install a second set or bank.  You are adding capacity.

SO, my advice would be to do it properly and install the BMK to get the full benefits of the ARC.  I had read and just reread the ARC….and I don’t regret my decision.  But if I studied each options and then understand it all, it would probably not be that bad.

Unless I totally, and I don’t, understand the ARC, it provides me with little benefit….and it MUST be thoroughly understood to reap the full features…..and they are limited severely, by NOT continuing and installing the BMK.  That is not a rocket science job.  You just need to plan your layout so you can install the shunt and get the configuration correct for the ARC…then you really have the ultimate.

BUT, if you doubt the need for it or can’t understand the technical jargon in the ME-ARC manual…or fully understand the ARC explanations…..then perhaps its complexity is not worth the additional funds nor the risk or the opportunity to maladjust it and cause damage to your batteries.

Magnum would be the only resource, unless a member, offline, walks you through the setup snd explains the seemingly minute differences in the many options, per each set up parameter.  Our folks that use it are more than pleased.  As much as I “think” I understand the Magnums and the standard remote, it would take a considerable amount of research and understanding and also the concepts of true battery optimization for me to attempt such.

That’s my take.  I fully understand the standard remote and have helped countless folks, here, and at campgrounds, optimize their Magnums and I learn a few new tricks or nuances and enjoy it.  I get satisfaction from helping a member reset or salvage an inverter and spend a lot time researching and talking to Magnum.  But, the jump to the ARC and the BMK is not my cup of tea nor do I have the higher level of technical curiosity….

NEXT UP   YES….Amp Hours across a parallel connection are ADDITIVE.  Amp Hours in a series connection is the same….as the amps flowing through each of the two cells in series (giving you 12 VDC) is STILL only 225 

SO….you have a 4 “Bank” configuration.  Bank 1 & 2 are the original Monaco…..so 225 AH for Bank 1 & 225 AH for bank 2.  Bank 3 is a single G31 12 VDC with 110 AH.  Bank 4 is a duplicate of Bank 3…..also 110 AH.  Total is 670 AH as you posted.  BUT….the rub.  UNLESS Magnum tells you different…this is correct.

The newer RC or standard remotes have different gaps or intervals.  I can’t member mine,  but if you have a choice of only 500 or 1000 AH, your 670 AH should be 500.  Now the ARC has more precise intervals,,,,,such as 700. But you also have to set the parameters with as “Bulk, Absorb, and such times….as well as voltages.  So….decide on the monitor….then read the manual….then call Magnum and let them walk you through it.  The write down every setting….as my brain can’t keep but the basic 6 or so straight,

Good Luck….

• Tom Cherry changed the title to New Inverter Settings Magnum ME 2012 & Remote Choice.

Tom yes sticking with the ME as that’s what he warranty folks would authorize. The remote is on me , I was going to stay with the same model remote as now. But the Magnum folks recommended the ARC so going to give it a try. I think it is overkill for what we are doing but going to give it a try. Read the manual and it’s a bit confusing. So going to call them back once I have the parts in hand

Thanks for the help

7 minutes ago, 63Hotrod said:

Tom yes sticking with the ME as that’s what he warranty folks would authorize. The remote is on me , I was going to stay with the same model remote as now. But the Magnum folks recommended the ARC so going to give it a try. I think it is overkill for what we are doing but going to give it a try. Read the manual and it’s a bit confusing. So going to call them back once I have the parts in hand

Thanks for the help

All my sage advice….as a reader of manuals for stuff I do not have is to READ them both.  Your comments brought back some “mind altering experiences”.  I read the ME-RC.  It was way more complex that my original.  Then, I read the ME-ARC and almost needed psychiatric counseling.  It is mind blowing…..and i can usually hold my own.

SO….I would suggest a serious sit down and evaluation before you select.  The other thing…..Will you EVER install or want to install a BMK.  Read up on that by downloading the Manual.  If the answer is a no…or I don’t need this nor understand it and it is not my cup of tea, technically, then my unsolicited advice….stick with the ME-RC and set it up.  Mine works great and I exercise my batteries and they are just as “strong” (SOC confirmed at 100%) as they were several years ago and I got 7 or so odd years out of the last set….and replaced them prematurely as a last ditch effort to solve a problem…..which really was not battery related…

Just how my mind works…..and folks often wonder…..LOL

Tom you’re right these manuals and capabilities are staggering. Going to take a breath here and maybe stick with the simpler version. We are part time travelers, not much dry camping or off the grid fun. The system basically runs the residential fridge and lights as we travel. I am a firm believer in KISS method

Thanks

3 hours ago, 63Hotrod said:

Thanks for the help

I think I would do everything I could do, like pay the difference, and go to the pure sine unit.   I know DW will have a fit I upgrade before to original fails or mine would be not only pure sine but probably the 2800 watt unit.   On a serious note, I have plenty of battery bank, but our microwave just doesn't sound right on the modified sine unit so wife always starts the Genset to do micro..   Is it bad if I pray for and inverter failure???

The microwave sounds different on the modified sine wave in my 2008. I wish I had the foresight to change mine to the pure sine wave when it failed. At the time it was not important but since that time I have installed a residential refer. I do not run it on inverter but would have gone ahead and put it on the inverted circuit if mine was a pure sine wave. 

10 hours ago, TomV48 said:

I think I would do everything I could do, like pay the difference, and go to the pure sine unit.   I know DW will have a fit I upgrade before to original fails or mine would be not only pure sine but probably the 2800 watt unit.   On a serious note, I have plenty of battery bank, but our microwave just doesn't sound right on the modified sine unit so wife always starts the Genset to do micro..   Is it bad if I pray for and inverter failure???

FWIW.  The consensus here, without a doctoral thesis….run the Genny for the microwave.  It puts a very high demand on the inverter and will temporarily zap the battery voltage, sometimes leading to Low Battery Cut Off.  Maybe 15 seconds at most from inverter.  I personally start it and DW knows NOT to use on inverter.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi added a new inverter me2012-20B and remote MERC50 . Used the settings I got here from Tom Thanks Tom. But in set up under battery type I chose FLOODED. But I can not find a place to set AMP Hrs 450/500 AMP Hrs. There are several types of battery's to choose from but after that there is only a custom setting?

1 hour ago, 63Hotrod said:

Hi added a new inverter me2012-20B and remote MERC50 . Used the settings I got here from Tom Thanks Tom. But in set up under battery type I chose FLOODED. But I can not find a place to set AMP Hrs 450/500 AMP Hrs. There are several types of battery's to choose from but after that there is only a custom setting?

There ain’t one,   Step 3 wants the ABSORB time.  For your bank, the default of 90 minutes is correct.  Go to the manual and read up on it.  Very clear and informative.  I think I covered that in the instructions.  Here is a picture of the table of default values on page 17.  

HERE IS MY PERSONAL Recommendations….after many conversations with Magnum

Search Watts.  TURN IT OFF  causes electronics to needlessly reboot.

Low BATTERY CUT OFF.  Set around 11.9/12.0.  The remote reads, due to line loss, 0.15 VDC lower…I KNOW…I ran a study.  Magnum says it is too complicated to explain,  This setting will allow your inverter to cut off when there is still 50% life left….it also prevents a sudden, but intermittent load, from triggering, falsely, thr AGS

Low AC.  Max it out to 100.  Will damage your electronics.

There is a #9 or the last setting for “Power Up”.  Set to ALWAYS for a MH, per Magnum  or YES…

Hope this helps.  I moved this to the original topic as it is a followup 

F2D81701-0997-434C-BAF7-C759DE9877D3.png

16 hours ago, 96 EVO said:

Don't know if it's correct or not, but I didn't include my chassis batteries when setting up my Magnum.

Seems to be charging fine.

Your Chassis Battery is NOT connected to the Magnum....only your HOUSE.  The BIRD Diesel2 Module and the Big Boy Battery Connect/Boost Solenoid controls the BiDirectional current that flows between the HOUSE and the CHASSIS or Vice Versa.

Forget that you have a Chassis Battery when you set up the Magnum.  It is only configured for the HOUSE.

YES....if you did that....should be OK....

On 12/12/2022 at 8:02 PM, TomV48 said:

but our microwave just doesn't sound right on the modified sine unit so wife always starts the Genset to do micro..   

Same!

I ran the original Sharp conv oven on the MSW inverter a few times and didn't like the way it sounded. 

That oven has passed on, and the new replacement I won't run on inverter power!

I feel that way too.  Ours is still the original 2005 Sharp

The filling in those cloth bags ( rice, grains, whatever they use) get so dried out after many warm ups, there's zero moisture left in them. Microwave needs moisture to heat, or the magnetron cooks itself.

Pretty much the same thing as firing up a empty microwave for 8 or more minutes.

• Like 1