Water in Fuel Light

Go to solution Solved by Pepperell,

I did all the servicing on my 04 Camelot (ISC engine) just before going to the Monacoers rally.  When I left home I noticed the water in fuel light on the dash was on.  The engine was running good so I continued to the meeting (about a 2.5 hour drive).  The light was on the whole time.  I drained some fuel from the secondary filter to no avail.  I drove home and the engine ran fine.  I replaced the filter (another issue) sprayed electrical cleaner on the connector and plugged it in.  Started the engine and the light was still on.  No leaks and everything looks good but the light remains on.  I have the Silverleaf system on the coach and I tried to reset the system but no change.  Is there some way to clear the code out?  Not sure what the code is although Silverleaf shows it quite a few times.  Tried to reset it but it wouldn't take.  Looked in my manual and it says nothing about the water in the fuel light other than pointing it out on the dash panel diagram.  I'm stumped. 

Just a side note.  When I ordered the filters I used the same numbers I always do but the secondary filter was not the same.  The receptacle where the cable plugs in is larger than the one I had removed.  Both have the same part number FS1022.  This is the first time this has happened to me and I have put at least a dozen of these on.    

Amazon. This is where I always get them. I’d have to check what company it came from. Didn’t notice the difference until I already installed it and tried to plug it in. It obviously didn’t fit so I had to remove it and go to my spare which I rotate each year. So this one was a year old when I tried to install it today. 

I assume the sensor is in the filter?

Don

• Solution

Unplug the sensor.  Is the light on or off?  Use a paper clip and jumper the the jack on the cable, is the light on or off?  Use your volt/ohm meter and check continuity on the filter.  Check continuity on a new filter.  This research should help you zero in on the source of the problem.  

Thanks y’all. I have a house plumbing problem to deal with today but the MH problem will be next. Good input. The part number on the filter was the same           FS 1022. Sure will check every time I receive another one. 
I’ll check the code number. 
Don

Jeff

The filters were identical except for the size of the plug receptacle. Sure would have saved me a lot of time if I would have paid attention to the receptacle prior to installing the new filter. That won’t happen again. 
Don

Guest Ray Davis

Carl ( Pepperell ) asked about have you tried just unplugging from the filter, and if so did the light go out?

On a previous coach,  the light would come on when driving in the rain.  My problem didn't seem to be at the filter but at some other place in the wiring.   I never tracked the exact location down since the light was off when it was dry enough to even attempt to diagnose.   On some coaches that light ( water in fuel ) seems to be overly sensitive,  perhaps because of an accumulation of dirt/dust and moisture at numerous connections.   I remember Van Williams posting about electrical issues so he started cleaning all connections he could find, problems went away.   Maybe Van will chime in to explain farther his process.

Problem with the water in fuel light is off.  I removed the plug and the dash light went out.  So I removed the filter and put in a new filter.  Works as advertised.  I removed the sensor and all it is, is 2 metal contacts insulated from each other.  Once water gets in the sensor cavity the pins are shorted out thus completing the circuit and the light on the dash goes on.  Pretty simple.  Learn something new all the time, especially working on these rigs. 

The filter that had the wrong receptacle on it had the letters GAQ in front of the FS1022 part number.  Obviously not a true Fleet Guard product.  I ordered the Fleet Guard FS1022 and it came in 1 day and fits and works like it should.  

Jim:  I haven't turned on the Silverleaf yet to get you the codes.  I'll do that Saturday.

Thanks again everyone for your valuable suggestions and input.  Greatest group ever.

Don Genesse

04 Camelot

• Like 1

Jim,

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner but we re moving and things are getting real hectic.  Anyway,

the fault code is 97 with a MD of 32???  The SRC is ENG, the TPE is PID and the Component is Water in fuel indicator.  Hope this make sense to you cuz all I get out of it is the water in fuel light was on.  Once I changed the filter out everything was good.  When I unplugged the connector to the filter the light went out.  So it was a no brainer at that point.  Just need to make sure I order the Fleet Guard filter instead of the knockoff.  Didn't realize it was a knockoff.  Thanks for all the iinfo.

Don Genesse

04 Camelot

• 3 weeks later...