V band clamp

Go to solution Solved by Rikadoo,

So i decided to replace the muffler on my rig, i picked out the one to go on it Aero mfg, my muffler shop installed it with a caveat in that Very soon the intermediate pipe from the turbo to muffler needed to be replaced, so Monday i parked my coach in front of the house an pulled the exhaust system Doing so the v clamp bolt snapped , my lame ass thought ehh! I can get that from fleet pride… NOT! So i have the PN an NOBODY has one🤦‍♂️

So the info on the clamp is a R.G. Ray corp #10573-1

has anyone had to deal with this before??? 
i went on the R G ray website an they dont even list it on there parts list. Im suspecting this is a “captive” part that only Cummins has, which i will need to verify MONDAY🤦‍♂️AA6902B4-2D29-467E-92B6-E8CFCC5B0469.thumb.jpeg.e0d7d4252e0bcfb31016ce39a9927d9c.jpeg

If you need it immediately, surely you could purchase a new slot bolt (also called an T-Bolt) and nut from your local hardware supplier and replace the broken one.

Edited by BradHend

Is that the clamp right off the turbo? And exhaust brake? I  fought the same thing on our 2000 had to go to the company to get it and they are out of Canada. We have a 8.3 with a hx40 turbo. 

HOLY CRAP! this project is taking an awful turn, so I went to Napa, no help went to Kenworth in San Leandro, nope called the manufacture, no answer, called there competitor... goose egg! so as I talked with people this weird size is due in part to it having a engine brake, so I called thoroughbred cause they sell engine brakes, they supposedly have one, it is sold by the people who make the exhaust brake. 

The ones I have tried were either too loose or too tight, soon as it gets here I will update everyone

Guest Ray Davis

Who would have thought   When you get it figured out let us know, I would like to get one or two to have on hand.   Luckily you're at home, not out somewhere waiting on parts.

• Solution

Ok folks… i finally got the dreaded band clamp debackel resolved🤦‍♂️ So in finding a clamp there are more than one measurment thats involved, i always thought it was the circumfrence, thats a part then the inside has a width, then i call them the wings, which is the metal that actually covers the angle of the flange🤪🤪🤪 so when your in front of a parts guy there eyes roll up in the back of there head an tell you to refer to the manufacture… i wont bore you with all the people an places i have tried just looking for a glimmer of hope.

So once i discovered im not trying to connect to the turbo as much as i am to the engine brake things started to make sence. My first stop was the internet looking at my engine brake Mfg. From there looking to who carried it, called an spoke with a guy who said they sell a kit for $117, comes with all the mounting equipment for the brake assy, after a few minutes of conversation we became aware of seeing if they sell the clamp individually… BINGO!!! Even after all that i boild down to getting one in my hands because as good as the parts guy was he had very little dimensions other that the Mfg and the main outer dimension. Anyway, leap of faith an a master card my order arrived an its a match. That whole adventure has been over 3 weeks trying to solve, makes me want to get another just cause, Also something to concider, is the clamp FROM the turbo TO the exhaust brake the same or different🤦‍♂️ just too much to think of right now, instead its time for a beer🍻 hope this journey helps👍

3A0F4DA5-9667-4B4F-8053-D9DB72A660B2.jpeg.b895f5ed9c486d76b2cd3ff7ccc829ca.jpegC728EF19-2691-41F9-A8A3-6573F4DE5D74.thumb.jpeg.176df0fa8d7ab06c2097bc4a7affd28e.jpeg40089567-A3D5-4C47-8F7F-8CB47DCD7D64.thumb.jpeg.6f02b5c39d77636e9a00422029598195.jpeg

• Like 2

So its a 8.3, as for the size the bag says 4” how ever the parts tech called it 4.6” i also noticed that it has the new style retainer on it, in that now the “T” bolt is replacable in case it strips or breaks so you dont have to replace the entire clamp.

• Like 1