Replacing Sony monitor

Go to solution Solved by birdshill123,

I finally have the kit from RV acms to replace my Dead Sony monitor. Before I remove the old one  I would like to find schematic for the monitor wiring. The one listed under  08 Dynasty is quite different from mine> I can only see one small sort of s video connector and a bushing on the back of the Sony with a bunch of 18 ga, wires. I did see the connector box for many of the cables. Most are RCA jacks but I think one may be a coax.  Only a few are marked. Tim at RV cams will help me but I need to know what that box does. Where is the connection for the Alladin? Thanks.

33 minutes ago, birdshill123 said:

I finally have the kit from RV acms to replace my Dead Sony monitor. Before I remove the old one  I would like to find schematic for the monitor wiring. The one listed under  08 Dynasty is quite different from mine> I can only see one small sort of s video connector and a bushing on the back of the Sony with a bunch of 18 ga, wires. I did see the connector box for many of the cables. Most are RCA jacks but I think one may be a coax.  Only a few are marked. Tim at RV cams will help me but I need to know what that box does. Where is the connection for the Alladin? Thanks.

I replaced my Sony monitor in my 2004 Beaver Monterey with the monitor I purchased from Tim.  Mine was a simple plug and play.  The existing harness plugged directly into the new monitor.  It’s been about a year or so, and I can’t remember all the details, but it was easy.  On mine, I did have to enlarge the dash opening slightly for the new monitor to fit.  A Dremel with a grinding wheel did the trick.

My sony monitor only had a 4 wire plug and a round S video type cable that connected to the Aladdin system box in the dash only a few feet away, here is a diagram of the s video type cable i used to help figure things out.

IMG_0276.PNG

Edited by Georgia Mike

I will finish removing the monitor on Satrurday. I had to remove the radio and the panel that holds the HVAC controls. Now I can see the 4 Philips screws that  fasten the monitor. I have a plastic plug with maybe 5 or 6 wires at one end of the monitor and one cable similar to an svideo that I think goes to the connector marked camera one. I will post a picture on Saturday. I think Tim can make up an  adapter for the camera one cable. But I do not know what to do with  those 18 ga. cables

That Sony 6-pin connector that looks like an S-Video is not an S-Video. It is Sony proprietary. Tim at RVCams has had some made for his adapter cables.

On our 2005 Signature the other end of that cable is an audio in RCA and video in RCA from the Aladdin, and an 8.2V power out that powers the rear Sony camera. 

When I replaced my Sony monitor with another RCA compatible monitor, I put in a voltage converter to supply the 8.2V to the rear Sony camera.

I just replaced the rear camera and cut the Sony connector off that cable and attached a 4-pin aviation connect to adapter the existing rear camera wiring to the new wiring. I also removed the 8.2V converter and wired 12v to the connector for the rear camera

Here is what is left of the cable and the part number 38031333a.

C6FE9DC0-4AC6-4389-933B-DABA49EA105B.thumb.jpeg.8124a53539e68ea08eaf4b3946baeb75.jpeg

Paul

I'm installing a wireless camera over the top of the backup camera and hoping to power it through the Sony connector and an 8V-12V up converter.  Potential issue is Sony's 150mA spec (above) while the wireless cam draws 250mA @ 12V (or 375mA @ 8V), plus the upconverter losses plus the Sony cam that's back there.  I wouldn't think Sony would really limit the monitor's output to 150mA . . . . . would they?

The idea is to use the existing wiring without having to fish a new wire (no, I don't want to power it from the marker light) and having it switchable through the Sony monitor.  I also might want to let it run at night as a security camera. 

Thoughts?

- bob

Im sure that Tim at RV cams will get you set up with what you need. I bought my monitor from Beetronics it was not plug and play but it is a great monitor with lots of features. It is a 10 inch and just fit in the area so it’s a nice big screen. It has a feature that you can display an image from a usb stick I plugged into the back for 5 seconds then it goes to the Aladdin screen. So I copied a Monaco screenshot online and put it on there. It’s a nice little touch that looks more factory. I had to put the 12 volt to 8 volt transformer to make the rear camera work. Here are a few pictures.

B92562B6-BEC7-4C73-92A8-01A92118434C.jpeg

2E5F5982-5A7F-4011-9637-3F1667B49933.jpeg

60387FDA-5686-4A20-839C-CFFFBD813977.jpeg

Today I enlarged the whole in the dash for the new monitor. Between Tim at RV cams  and Jim Clendendon I finally understood the wiring.  It is actually quite simple. I still have to drill the holes to mount the monitor. Started the engine and there was the Alladin menu. All cameras are working and I can see all the engine data. I did not have to add any wiring for the rear camera. I am feeding it 12 volts via the monitor. How ever I must be missing something in the setup. I have 3 rows with  colored dots and figures: 03,06,09. This is on every screen. ?? Any help with that appreciated. You do not realize how much you rely on a BU monitor until it fails. I use the date screen a lot

That  look like they are coming from the camera to indicate how far things are away.it doesn’t make sense that they overlay something from the Aladdin, so there must be a setting in the monitor to turn them off. Tim will know.

Paul.

I agree w Paul. Looks like distances. Contact Tim again and see what he says.  Before you drill those holes, I used command strips to hold my monitor in place.  Does a great job and I have an access hole when I need it. 

20210807_123401.jpg

• Solution

Too late i drilled the holes. That screen went away the next time I turned it on. Tim is a great guy. I am very pleased. In the beginning I did not understand that the Alladin feeds everything to the monitor. I drove all the way from Canada toMexico with no monitor. Not fun.

• Like 1