Water Pump leaking at outlet - Can it be repaired?

Joe Lee
Go to solution Solved by Dr4Film,

Hello All - I discovered a leak on my RV Aquajet II 5.3 GPM fresh water pump. Please see the attached picture and my screwdriver is pointing to the joint that is leaking. I can’t find any repair kits/instructions on-line. 

Does anyone know if this can be repaired?0B04A72A-DE35-46B1-BB7A-F677A1D8D750.thumb.jpeg.a8f903a81bb8518a345fae4f668d548c.jpeg578B2254-2892-4B93-821C-82A9DEF3239E.thumb.jpeg.0345b8c4eac43706e11485a521f573cd.jpeg

Thanks!

Joe

Great!  I was hoping for an answer like that!  I did see the sliding mechanism but it didn’t seem to want to release anything. I will get back on it.

Thanks Richard!

Shut the water off first. You may want to put a slight bit of Vaseline on the o'ring. Harbor Freight sells o'ring kits. Not sure if one of those will fit, but worth a try if this doesn't work.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have used Silicone Faucet Grease for years when repairing faucets and replacing O-ring's.  It is food grade and waterproof and will last longer than Vaseline.  Home Depot and Lowes sell a Danco product that looks good.

• Like 1

Joe if it’s not the o-ring, and it looks to be leaking from the switch plate then no there are no parts for these. I just literally replaced mine last mo. I started with what I was hoping to be the o-ring. Mine was a little hard to tell from the mounted position so laid it down on the floor where it is located to be able look it over much better. It appeared to be leaking from the switch plate, there is no o-ring or gasket there. The pump manufacturer told me there are no parts for that pump other than a simple o-ring Richard mentioned. They said when they go bad they will leak internally and then get past into areas it shouldn’t.  I installed a valve on the outlet side of the pump to isolate it from the house pressures. This way I was able to close both valves before and after the pump for servicing or replacing. Mine looked a little different than yours and was a OE pump from 2002.

14C1F3C7-060B-4E2C-B8FE-58B96F69D517.jpeg

1813E9BD-5504-4FA7-B0CF-00C4C9DD0826.jpeg

Edited by tmw188
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, StephenW said:

I have used Silicone Faucet Grease for years when repairing faucets and replacing O-ring's.  It is food grade and waterproof and will last longer than Vaseline.  Home Depot and Lowes sell a Danco product that looks good.

That IS the recommended “grease”.  Vaseline is PETROLEUM based and deterioration of the rubber parts will be increased.  Thetford and others with pumps and toilets and such say ONLY use the plumber Silicon. I use that to keep my “toilet ball” & the rubber seal working.

Great advice

Great!  I was hoping for an answer like that!  I did see the sliding mechanism but it didn’t seem to want to release anything. I will get back on it.

Thanks Richard!

My thanks to everyone!  Richard’s suggestion of an O-Ring was the fix. Now, it’s time for a trip to Lowe’s to get the silicone grease that Stephen recommended.  

One more project behind me!