Disconnect my dash A/C compressor?

Go to solution Solved by Fasthobie16,

On my '97 Dynasty the dash air doesn't work. I presume in a coach of this vintage it has a coolant leak somewhere, possibly other issues. Living in the northern climes I'm getting by using the genny to run the roof A/C when necessary while travelling, so no immediate plans to try to revive it. 

I'm wondering if it would make sense to remove the belt from the engine to the A/C compressor to avoid the possibility of a future compressor seize causing me problems? Any harm in doing so?accomp.thumb.jpeg.485814b6ffd153ea24d2005e4f704c0e.jpeg

If the AC isn't working, just disconnect the AC clutch coil wire which will keep the compressor from getting engaged.

If the system is low on freon, then the low pressure switch should already be doing this.

Much easier than messing with the belt.

If you do want to pull off the belt, on the lower right of the compressor are the bolts to loosen to allow the compressor to swing downwards to remove the belt.

Did you have the system recharged in the past?  did that temporarily get the dash air working?  If so, then yes, you have a leak.  Look at all hoses and connections for built up dirt.  The freon has oil in it and leaves along with the freon.  This attracts dirt / dust which becomes your tell tale on where the leak might be.  Once you know where it is, power wash to clean all up and then repair the leak / fitting and recharge with the right type and amount of oil to help ensure the compressor won't lock up.

If the Air is On, Motor running, and you briefly short the low pressure switch, then the clutch should engage.  If this happens, then yes, you are low on freon.  And If low, then you have a leak.

Edited by DavidL

How long have you had the coach, have you done anything to the AC.  If not you could try adding some refrigerant and see if the AC takes off.  When I first bought my coach in 2008 the AC didn't work, added a can and worked for +10 years then had to recharge again.  I can live with a small leak.

The clutch is still spinning so there is potential for the bearing to eventually fail, so I'd remove the belt. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RoadTripper2084 said:

Thanks for the information. Yeah, I'm gun-shy when it comes to A/C systems, always seems trickier than it should be. 

I haven't tried to add freon, if you turn on the A/C, the clutch doesn't engage.  But why spin the belt for no reason? Might as well remove it, no?

Some compressors have separate drive belt and others are in the loop of the long serpentine drive belt for the alternator….

You 97 Dynasty has a separate drive belt just for the compressor.  If you don't plan on repairing the Dash A/C system, I would remove the belt.  If you have no intentions of resurrecting the system, just cut the belt and be done with it all.  There is no reason to spin the clutch.  The belts are easy to find.  I had to replace my compressor when "trash" in the system bypassed the receiver/dryer and froze the compressor, which also burnt the belt.  There are replacement parts for this system available.

-Rick N.

Currently in Deming, NM 

• Like 2