Sound bar

Are sound bars excellent for motorhome. I am thinking of buying one that is all wireless with 2rear wireless speakers and wireless subwoofer any feedback on the wireless and non wireless. What may be better. I have direct tv

John f 2009 Monaco Camelot 42’ kfq 

Hi John, I have two Roku stream bars. One is in the front of the coach mounted under the Samsung TV. Also have one in the bedroom. We stream everything.

John, they get TV from the internet and put it on your TV. You have to have an internet source or provider from the park or you phone. The stream bar also has speakers built into it. Hence stream + Sound bar= stream bar. Go to Roku.com

Guest Ray Davis
8 hours ago, Mark B said:

John, they get TV from the internet and put it on your TV. You have to have an internet source or provider from the park or you phone. The stream bar also has speakers built into it. Hence stream + Sound bar= stream bar. Go to Roku.com

Hi Mark,  I'm pretty old also, and I'm interested in this "stream bar" too.   Since ROKU & others need a good internet connection I'm wondering what you use for internet in the coach?   Are very many parks able to provide internet that you can live stream or are you able to use a cell phone service?

Edited by Ray Davis

I use the ATT car connect hotspot at home, initially I used the Mobely type device but switched to the Nighthawk.  We don't have a great signal at home but can stream movies etc.  When on the road I had also used a Cricket hotspot and was able to stream but you do have to have a decent signal. 

We bought our first Roku TV ~6-7 years ago and have since standardized to them since they all use the same remote.  We have one dog that likes to eat remotes so I have to keep spares just in case.  We have 5 Roku tv's spread around different rooms and 3 floors of the house plus on in the coach.

Only issue I have right now on the oldest Roku TV's is that the sound on only one channel is distorted.  I think it is the TV since I've tested the antenna and no other TV has the same problem.  May have to lay this TV to rest as it is annoying unless I can figure a fix or work around. 

Edited by jacwjames
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ray Davis said:

Hi Mark,  I'm pretty old also but I'm interested in this "stream bar" too.   Since ROKU & others need a good internet connection I'm wondering what you use for internet in the coach?   Are very many parks able to provide internet that you can live stream or are you able to use a cell phone service?

Ray, I’m like Jim and use a mobile hotspot. Mine is an iPad on Verizon. It works well enough to stream just about anywhere but there have been a few places l Had to use the parks WiFi with limited success. Most parks are ok during the week but on the weekends it’s to slow and buffers. I mostly watch YouTube but I have YouTube TV for live sports, it’s just as bad as cable 100 channels and nothing on. The good thing about it is you can cancel it any time if it doesn’t work out. I have T-Moble at both of my houses, works great at one not so much at the other ($50/mo each). My cell phone is with ATT so I have options but it’s limited on data. My iPad is for work and on an unlimited plan so I’m lucky in that respect for now until I retire.

Guest Ray Davis
18 minutes ago, jacwjames said:

I used the Mobely type device but switched to the Nighthawk

I have an ATT Mobely,  is the Nighthawk better?

6 minutes ago, Mark B said:

works great at one not so much at the other

My Mobley works great except at home, I'm in a hole of sorts.   I would like to get rid of Direct TV and my landlines.  I feel like I'm paying the national debt with those 2 alone.   We are supposed to get fiber internet soon, but out here in the country I may not live long enough to see it.   I could use an antenna and get quite a few channels but I guess we are hooked on some programming not available on the antenna.  To think we used to watch a couple of channels and we were happy.

2 hours ago, Ray Davis said:

I have an ATT Mobely,  is the Nighthawk better?

My Mobley works great except at home, I'm in a hole of sorts.   I would like to get rid of Direct TV and my landlines.  I feel like I'm paying the national debt with those 2 alone.   We are supposed to get fiber internet soon, but out here in the country I may not live long enough to see it.   I could use an antenna and get quite a few channels but I guess we are hooked on some programming not available on the antenna.  To think we used to watch a couple of channels and we were happy.

My story

When we built our new house we cut all the cords, >>>  No cable, No wired internet

I installed an antenna in the attic, it is out of the weather and seldom have a problem with reception.  Right now we get +80 OTA channels, but just like cable I don't care for most of them but good enough for me.   The old Johnny Carson reruns are still funny, don't care what you say.    We do have a subscription to Netflix $17/month but may cancel, I watch something on it about once a month.  My wife uses it quite a bit. 

We rely on ATT car connect for internet >>  $23.49/month and it serves us for what we do.  I even put a point to point extender out to the garage and have internet out there.   It is not the fastest but seems to get the job done.  I will say when we have visitors who stream lots of stuff on their phones through our Wifi it slows doooooooooown.   My wife's great niece visited a couple years ago and our MB data usage more then doubled, no idea what she was doing, didn't ask didn't care but probably up to something no good🤬

We have cell phones through T-Mobile (originally Sprint) which we get terrible coverage with for a mere $83/month, not only at home but pretty much everywhere we travel the coverage sucks.  I wanted to change ~2 years ago but my wife hedged, at the time see was still on the Sprint network but now is on the T-Mobile network and hates it.  But I don't rely as heavily on phone so I'm going to wait it out until she decides she wants to change. 

The local Coop did come through and put in fiber, it would cost +$50/ month for a decent speed but when I talked to them they said only 4 devices would connected, I questioned that and don't believe it would recognize devices through a router but for now we don't need it but it's there if we want it. 

12 hours ago, jfasano88 said:

Are sound bars excellent for motorhome. I am thinking of buying one that is all wireless with 2rear wireless speakers and wireless subwoofer any feedback on the wireless and non wireless. What may be better. I have direct tv

John f 2009 Monaco Camelot 42’ kfq 

I have a few 'decent' soundbars. All of mine, the bar itself needs to connect to the source either thru HDMI, or Optical cable. The subwoofer is usually wireless.

I've found cheap soundbars don't sound any better than the crappy speakers that come in flatscreen TV's!

If using Firestick or FireTV go through the set up screen before you buy the soundbar...not all are compatible.  They may still work via Bluetooth but you will end up with another remote for sound.

Steaming with Visible for 5 years, mostly good experience, using Weboost and PdaNet.  Just got a T-Mobile Home internet for $50 month, working well so far in FL..summer trip coming soon, we'll see, super speeds: 80mb+, 30mb when deprioritized.

I am a musician/audio producer.. bought my 2004 Cheetah a few weeks ago it came with a Bose sound. bar.

It adds a bit of low end but that's it............ I wouidn't buy one.

• 1 month later...

@jfasano88 I have a small sound bar on the bedroom TV and love it.  w the AC running the TV was not loud enough.  I measured for the space and found one that fits just below the TV. I use the optical cable for hookup.  I'll see if I can find a pic.  @Scotty Hutto has a sound bar on his front tv and maybe can chime in.  My front TV sound still goes thru the original ceiling speakers and sub. 

20210608_072236.jpg

I installed a large 38 inch Yamaha sound bar on the front TV because the built-in Samsung TV speakers were in the rear facing the windshield, not good. The sound bar solved that problem. Since the TV was an older version without a HDMI-ARC connector I use the optical cable to control the sound bar.

Yamaha Sound Bar from Amazon - https://tinyurl.com/2e68j2wr

The new Samsung QLED 4K rear TV for the bedroom has the HDMI-ARC connector so after extensive research and testing various sound bars, I finally found a smaller sound bar that worked for the rear TV. It is a 16 inch Zeerkeer sound bar from Amazon. I haven't mounted the sound bar yet. It is higher on my to-do list for this summer.

Rear TV from Amazon - https://tinyurl.com/4e592pw5

Rear Zeerkeer Sound Bar from Amazon - https://tinyurl.com/msdc2ww5