New to me coach - Slide deployment questions - 2006 Windsor

I traded my 95 exec for an 06 windsor. Holy smokes. I have posted so little for many years I have forgotten how and where to put this info. The differences are astounding and I have many bugs to work out. I was told to extend the slides before leveling is that correct? It only has 56k so it was stored quite a bit and this 400 is thumping a bit. Hoping hot shot will do away with that.

Wayne E

This only my opinion! Jacks are for stabilizing not leveling. Level with whatever u choose under your tires then stabilize with jacks. Just my opinion. Smile 😀

1- Pick as level of a spot as possible.

2- Use whatever means of leveling your coach by placing supports under your tires to bring coach as level as possible while at ride height.

3- Move slides out.

4- Dump air or not.

5- Lower jacks to stabilize.

If not dumping air, you should also place supports under jacks so as to use minimum amount of fluid in reservoir.

Welcome Wayne.  Which Model Windsor do you have?   My leveling is the Valid air system.  No jacks.   The manual on page 134 says to extend slides first then level.  Also, my 400ISL does not have the EGR.  

Edited by Bill R

Guest Ray Davis

Monaco's position on leveling was, slides out first because that's the way the slides were installed, on a level shop floor.  However,  who camps on a shop floor,  the real world is often not very level so I feel it depends on your spot.  A pretty good spot,  put the slides out, a not-so-good spot you may want to level up first.  That's the way I see it and usually do it.  Knock on wood ( my head ) it works for me.

• Tom Cherry changed the title to New to me coach - Slide deployment questions - 2006 Windsor

it is a PEQ and it has the VALID also. I had to manually level today since I wanted it lower than valid wanted it. The step motor is bad and needed to block the step in place. next problem since the water heater now works is the aria electric toilet. Ifear it is going to have to be replaced.

I finally got some time with thev owners manual today. The messages about the sildes were welcome news since I just located what info I have.

THERE should be no EGR until 08 I do not believe. There were lots of changes after 07.

Keep us posted @welleking on your journey with the Windsor.  We love our ‘06 PDQ.  There are quite a few others on this forum with extensive experience with the Windsor and the ‘06 model. 

I also follow what @Ray Davis mentioned about leveling.  If the site is not very level, I will first manually level the coach with bags inflated.  Then put slides out, followed by lowering all four corners to the preferred height, then auto level for fine tune adjustments.   Some also just leave the leveling in manual so you don’t have those middle of the night adjustments. 

On a level site I don’t think it matters what you do first with slides vs level. 

@welleking Wayne,

I've got the 40'PEQ and purchased it new.    I believe we have the same floor plan.  We have the Valid system, air only.  Last fall we were driving in Colorado.  I looked in my side mirror and saw the back of our RV going away from us. What??   Turns out it was @Bill R in his coach.  He had just passed us.  .  We have the  same exterior paint scheme.  

When our coach was new, from ignorance, I would deploy the slides AFTER the coach was level.   In extreme cases, when the site itself was out of level, I could really hear the front passenger slide binding.  Almost like fingernails on chalk board.  It wasn't pretty!   But when I extended/retracted at ride height,  that horrible scraping was never an issue.   So I'm a firm believer to extend/retract at ride height.  Manual also says to do it  that way. 

Many of the campgrounds we stay in are pretty level, concrete pads.  In that case, like @Bill R mentions, I wouldn't worry about it.

Edited by windsorbill06

Guest Ray Davis
1 hour ago, 96 EVO said:

I generally extend / retract slides at 'Travel' height, before leveling, as recommended

Me too, sometimes the better half is opening up before I can get out of my seat.  She's fast and I'm slow.  I used to say let me get some stuff out of below first but I finally realized it's better if I just crawl under the slides to get stuff.  Life is smoother when momma's happy.

33 minutes ago, Ray Davis said:

Me too, sometimes the better half is opening up before I can get out of my seat.  She's fast and I'm slow.  I used to say let me get some stuff out of below first but I finally realized it's better if I just crawl under the slides to get stuff.  Life is smoother when momma's happy.

LOL.    Isn't that the truth.  My wife did the same thing for years.  Then one day, a guy pulled in next to us and as soon as the engine shut down, the drivers slides started going out.  Well, the front   slide clipped the CG electrical panel and it blew the transformer for the entire row, including ours.    I've convinced my wife to let me do a good walk around before we start deploying.   I take advantage of getting some items out of the basement then.

2 hours ago, Ray Davis said:

Good friends recently went from a Tiffin with no slides, to a Monaco with 2 slides.

First trip, wife decided to help him set-up by extending the slides. Unknown to her, he had installed a slide lock.

Wood trim flying, bounced off a GPS screen, then hit another electronic device 😬!

He doesn't use slide locks anymore!

Edited by 96 EVO