rear tires rubbing on H frame

Go to solution Solved by Tom Cherry,

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/1/2023 at 5:24 PM, Ray Davis said:

I might go to a truck tire shop and see about getting a spacer installed.  At least have them look at it.

On 12/8/2023 at 2:37 PM, Mike Farquharson said:

HI the measurements are are mm but this is what I had machined. My wheels are hub pioleted so that measurement

needs to be real close.

spacer.pdf 116.1 kB · 22 downloads

spacer.jpg

I had contacted wheeladapter.com in Canoga Park and sent them Mike's schematic for 1/4 in wheel spacers and they said no problem, they would give me an estimate right away. That was weeks ago. I have called a guy named Fred, and emailed numerous times and never have heard back again. I am losing confidence with this company who can't even give me an estimate. I'm open to names of other companies that might be able to machine these two wheel spacers for our rear tires. thanks

Are there any large hydralic repair shops in your area, company that works on large earth moving equipment

A shop like this would have the capability to make the spacer.   A lot of the large cylinders use a bolt together flange and they would be able to make what you are looking for.  Just like anything else, it will be pricey as a one off piece. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Preston W said:

Thanks. I'm used to a lot of pricey stuff that goes on these rigs. I think they're made of gold

Have you contacted a local machine shop. This is NOT a difficult job, if you have a laser cutter.  You layout the pattern on the steel. Then drill and machine it.  Use 1/4 - 3/8 plate. Then use a laser cutter to cut of the center.  Then cut out the outer.  Don't know the labor rate nor the complexity of the laser but this is not a big deal. You could even cut it out with a torch and leave material on the outer edge. Then purchase a used axle and with the bolt face on it. Then cut it off and chuck it up and use a side grinder to smoot off the outer edges. It is NOT NASAA specs.  Close counts....the inner is not that critical as the wheels will center and the lug nuts pull it tight.

https://customwheeladapters.com/products/2-pc-usa-made-10-lug-10x285-wheel-spacers-1-2-1-25-thick?variant=42313121300695

What you need is a 10 X 285.75 spacer. If you google it there is an abundance.  Some are thin, so two would work....they don't usually list the thickness but the vendor should tell you.  The above come in various thicknesses.  

Google had a BUNCH of the cheaper spacers that were were used two keep Aluminum wheels from "welding" themselves to each other. If you have the RV Data Card that came with the rig, you can get the Dana PN. But, the 10 X 285.75 is a common size....

• Like 1

all that is required is a 1/4 inch soacer installed between the inside wheel and the hub drum assembly my 99 windsor had the exact ssme issue woth nothing wrong with the rear suspension when I replaced the tires and noticed the wear on the inner tire I checked and found the po had installed the spacer between the duals someone mentioned the rimm is rubbing its not the rim only the rire and and the spacer will fix the ussue

On 12/21/2023 at 10:55 AM, Oilcan said:

all that is required is a 1/4 inch soacer installed between the inside wheel and the hub drum assembly my 99 windsor had the exact ssme issue woth nothing wrong with the rear suspension when I replaced the tires and noticed the wear on the inner tire I checked and found the po had installed the spacer between the duals someone mentioned the rimm is rubbing its not the rim only the rire and and the spacer will fix the ussue

Had the same issue after having new tires put on, spacer was in wrong position.  Moving the spacer next to the brake drum was the fix.

Rodney

1999 Windsor 40'

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/6/2023 at 11:27 AM, Preston W said:

Glad you mentioned the one quarter inch size. I was trying to figure out how big a spacer needs to be ordered. Another post  mentioned a half inch spacer but I'm not sure I got enough stud space for that.  I'm taking the rig down to spectrac a suspension expert tomorrow for them to take a look at it.

I'm even thinking that when I had the last tire change a while back, maybe they removed the spacers, because I didn't have this problem before.  Thanks

Thanks to all for your valuable help and especially to some of the members who furnished me with the specs for the wheel spacer I'm down at Spectrac in Mesa, Az having them installed and they fit perfectly. I got them from Rosendo at Bronson tire supply in San Bernardino fie  $285 including shipping for quarter inch thick wheel spacers.  the guy who was working on the tires thinks I could have got thicker ones but  not sure. I'll attach photo of the offending Bolt and it looks like the top part is hitting the tire perhaps when I hit a bump the tire flexed down and rubbed on that Bolt hoping the quarter inch thick wheel spacers will pull it away just enough. 

Merchant Logo

BRONSON TIRE SHOP SUPPLY

367 E REDLANDS BLVD, SAN BERNARDINO, CA 92408

20240116_120910.jpg

20240116_120544.jpg

20240116_085225.jpg

20240116_120904.jpg

Just a final thought  the technician just took me out to look at the wheel on the coach and you could not have used more than a 1/4 in thick spacer. the nut is fully on all the threads but little protruding out further.  He said they usually like to have a half inch of stud sticking out from the nut but the nut is fully engaged on the threads but not much extra sticking out.