rear tires rubbing on H frame

Go to solution Solved by Tom Cherry,

If I can find one in Phoenix who is willing to do the work.  I have called some truck tire shops and they don't want to mess with it.  I'll call Freightliner Monday as well.  

• Like 1

On 12/3/2023 at 11:14 AM, Oilcan said:

Mike Ihad the same issue with the passengers side on my 99 Windsor upon checking for the cause I found that someone had installed the spacer between the duals instead of behind the inside wheel which caused the inside dual to rub on the exact same bolt as your picture indicates Idont know if this is a common issue with 98/99 coaches but there have been posts regarding this on Irv2 on the monaco owners forumwhat is required is a 1/4 steel spacer between the wheels and the drum assembly 

Glad you mentioned the one quarter inch size. I was trying to figure out how big a spacer needs to be ordered. Another post  mentioned a half inch spacer but I'm not sure I got enough stud space for that.  I'm taking the rig down to spectrac a suspension expert tomorrow for them to take a look at it.

I'm even thinking that when I had the last tire change a while back, maybe they removed the spacers, because I didn't have this problem before.  Thanks

• Like 1

On 12/6/2023 at 11:27 AM, Preston W said:

Glad you mentioned the one quarter inch size. I was trying to figure out how big a spacer needs to be ordered. Another post  mentioned a half inch spacer but I'm not sure I got enough stud space for that.  I'm taking the rig down to spectrac a suspension expert tomorrow for them to take a look at it.

I'm even thinking that when I had the last tire change a while back, maybe they removed the spacers, because I didn't have this problem before.  Thanks

Good day I finally took the Monaco Dynasty down the spectrac suspension in Gilbert Arizona for a thorough inspection and troubleshooting on why two chassis bolts are rubbing on the inner dual tires. I have no broken welds or cracks in the H frame  they don't feel comfortable replacing the offending suspension bolt with a smaller head and the only other option is a tire spacer.  based on the length of the lugs they can do a quarter inch tire spacer and see if that solves the problem but they'd like to help of the Monaco forum. where are people ordering those Tire spacers and if someone's put a quarter inch tire space on a 1998 Monaco Dynasty, where did they get it from and any part numbers would help. At ride height those bolts are not hitting the tire but perhaps when I'm dropping it down on the bags is when the tire gets marked. the inside tires have not compromised their integrity yet it's more of a cosmetic mark not digging into the tire or cord.

Any supplier number or name or part number would be most helpful thanks for all your help.

20231207_134614.jpg

20231124_150707.jpg

Maybe rubbing when you bottom the suspension on dips, etc. ?

Make sure when you space it out the tire doesn't rub on the fender.  With bags deflated I can barely get a finger between tire & fender on the rears.

- bob

Yes,  I could see the problem occurring when we bottom out. the roads right now we came back on Interstate 40 were the worst. As I earlier mentioned I have the weird problem of having to drop the Monaco down on the airbags to get it out of the RV garage we built the garage for a safari and I need to drop the Monaco 4 in to get it out without tearing anything off the roof and I'm sure that little bit of traveling with the airbags deflated hasn't helped either. 

If you cover the marking with a chalk, you can find out under which condition it happens. There's no way for the bolt to change its proximity to the tire but the wheel can flex and the tire even more in turns or side to side angles. I can definitely see that flex on my tags if I stop in a sharp turn with them down. With the relatively low pressure in drives, the tire can flex some that way, maybe enough if the stationary clearance is small to start with.

Wonder if a heavy  tow vehicle can put pressure  on the rear duals as well. We tow a Hummer H2 with all wheels down, of course?

Edited by Preston W
Spelling error

Preston, You have answered your own problem with that bolt rubbing on the tire.  As you earlier mentioned you are having to drop the Monaco down on the airbags to get it out of the RV garage. To verify; with the coach out of the barn and in Travel Mode-(ride height) mark the tire where the bolt is rubbing with chalk or a light grease and drive the coach. After the road trip with the coach still in travel mode check the tire where the bolt was rubbing to see if there is any fresh evidence of the bolt rubbing on the tire. If the bolt is still rubbing the tire, the chalk or the grease will be displaced, if not then more likely the rubbing is occurring when you are moving your coach in and out of your barn in the lowered state. If that is the case you really do not have an issue. But, installing a spacer for your own piece of mind would still be an option.

David, this is an excellent post and I will surely  do it next week. The tech at Spectrac told me yesterday that the tires  really didn't  need to be replaced, in his opinion.  it was more of cosmetic rubbing not digging into the cord. I've had rear tires blow before and it's a pretty scary experience so for peace of mind I'm going to see if I can track down the part numbers of the spacers and have them added just quarter inch spacers. Thanks

Edited by Preston W
Spelling error

Hi, I am calling around to try and find someone who currently has wheel spacers for our 98 Dynasty, to pull the rubbing bolt a little farther away from the dual tire. Spectrac just inspected it all yesterday, no cracks or problem in the suspension.

Turns out trying to find a company that will do this is tough,  as the wheel spacer is too large for them to machine. I called the Henderson line, recommended in Tom Cherry's post and they had no idea. He said to call US Wheel Adapter in Lubbock.  They can't do it, too large.  Called arrowcraft products, and its too large for them I have a call into Barry at Josam's in Orlando but he won't be back until Monday, but I did find one company in Canoga Park, CA. that perhaps can do it.  But I lack one of the measurements they need. spectrac said I have 10 lugs, a 9 inch axle diameter and 7/8 studs. But  wheeladapter must have the exact measurement from the center of one lug to the center of the lug on the opposite side of the wheel. The tech I talked to said  they could machine it but just need that measurement.  anybody have an idea of what that measurement is?  And would it be the same on the outside dual as the inside. (sorry for the stupid question)  Thanks

45 minutes ago, Preston W said:

Hi, I am calling around to try and find someone who currently has wheel spacers for our 98 Dynasty, to pull the rubbing bolt a little farther away from the dual tire. Spectrac just inspected it all yesterday, no cracks or problem in the suspension.

Turns out trying to find a company that will do this is tough,  as the wheel spacer is too large for them to machine. I called the Henderson line, recommended in Tom Cherry's post and they had no idea. He said to call US Wheel Adapter in Lubbock.  They can't do it, too large.  Called arrowcraft products, and its too large for them I have a call into Barry at Josam's in Orlando but he won't be back until Monday, but I did find one company in Canoga Park, CA. that perhaps can do it.  But I lack one of the measurements they need. spectrac said I have 10 lugs, a 9 inch axle diameter and 7/8 studs. But  wheeladapter must have the exact measurement from the center of one lug to the center of the lug on the opposite side of the wheel. The tech I talked to said  they could machine it but just need that measurement.  anybody have an idea of what that measurement is?  And would it be the same on the outside dual as the inside. (sorry for the stupid question)  Thanks

I have been collecting some info on my rig "just in case".  I think your Dynasty MIGHT have the same drum

I THINK my rear brake drum is a WE56864B  https://www.fleetpride.com/parts/brakes-wheel-end/brake-drums-rotors/brake-drum/webb-brake-drum-56864b

It shows the hole pattern is 11.25" diameter, which should be the center to center for the studs.

I have a spare tire mounted on a rim, I measured and it looks like it is 11.25" using a tape measure

Boy, you are ontop of it.very good info. I was thinking there would be some company that would have off the shelf wheel spacers that would fit but it looks like you have to have it machined specifically for your rig.

Edited by Preston W
Spelling

Most helpful. your measurements in mm are the same as others have told me in inches    11:25 inches.  easy to measure with the wheels off for sure

Everyone is so helpful on this site.  Looks like I have all the info to get some 1/4 inch spacers ordered. what a great resource this is.

Metric? What's that? Just kidding.. it does get confusing especially with some American cars that have foreign Parts on them I just bought a whole set of open end wrenches. One is SAE other side metric.

5 minutes ago, 96 EVO said:

Yeah, I'm installing Koni shocks made in the Netherlands.

Guess what..... 15/16" top nuts 😖!

Possibly that matches a metric size, but that's the wrench I'm using, and it fit's perfectly!

Yeah, number of them are interchangeable, 24 mm = 15/16 in. 22 mm = 7/8 in. 21 mm = 13/16 in etc

2 hours ago, 96 EVO said:

Yeah, I'm installing Koni shocks made in the Netherlands.

Guess what..... 15/16" top nuts 😖!

Possibly that matches a metric size, but that's the wrench I'm using, and it fit's perfectly!

We love Koni shocks and got rid of the bilston's and replaced all of our shocks on the 1998 Monaco Dynasty with Koni. not to change the subject but the problem we had, was nearly half of the bottom shock mounts at some time or another have torn off when I'm leveling the rig at a campsite and get down low. I had to go to Spectrac and they small welded boxes for the shock absorbers and it's never been a problem again but I don't think the original Monaco shock mounts are strong enough in many cases so just a word to the wise.

Good idea. Not sure we did that when replacing. I like the adjustable feature of ours. I forget what number we are using but I did bring the rig back in to adjust for a softer ride. 

1 minute ago, Preston W said:

Good idea. Not sure we did that when replacing. I like the adjustable feature of ours. I forget what number we are using but I did bring the rig back in to adjust for a softer ride. 

Ok, your running a different Koni shock than I'm installing.