Ignition kill bypass for front TV

2006 Diplomat…..I’m aware that it’s illegal to drive with the front TV on but besides that what has others done to bypass the ignition kill. I’ve read elsewhere to disconnect a red wire that’s attached to the outlet. I’ve taken mine apart and there is no such wire. I’ve also read to change out the current outlet with a regular 120v. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

IMG_7214.jpeg

When I took the 'headache' out I removed the plug that was tied to the key.
On mine it was a 12 volt wire that plugged into the plug.
I removed the plug and put in a regular outlet.
The old plug had both 12 volt wires and 110 romex (i just used the 110 romex wires)
[Icoiled up the 12 volts and hid them in the back of the cabinet]

I just have the romex wires going into the back of the outlet. Not sure if prior owner took out the 12v wire and didn’t do something correct because it still turns off when the ignition is turned on

IMG_7215.jpeg

18 minutes ago, CraigMac said:

I just have the romex wires going into the back of the outlet. Not sure if prior owner took out the 12v wire and didn’t do something correct because it still turns off when the ignition is turned on

IMG_7215.jpeg

From the top.  Monaco did it a couple of different ways. I can’t remember exactly as mine might have been different.  The device in mine had small # 12 or 14nRed and white (black) single wires.  That is the 12 VDC from the ignition.  Clip one or the other or both.  Tape off all four ends and then wrap all four with a single wrap of tape.  Easy for someone that wants the OEM wiring back in service.  The device where the 12 VDC wires go MAY have an outlet…May NOT.  It should have at least one piece of white or yellow Romex.  If it has an outlet, then one coming in.  No outlet….then there should be TWO.  One is the incoming and the second will be the “switched” power….which WILL have to go to a real outlet.

If your HEC is nearby, lots of folks including me used a large 2” hole saw and cut a hole from the TV side to the HEC cabinet.  I ran the TV power cord over there.  I use a power strip.  If you don’t have an inline or hardwired surge suppressor, then use a “Surge Suppressor” power strip.  I just turn off ALL power there.  It is plugged into the full time “hot” outlet for the HEC items.  I kill the whole thing for storage or when we are boondocking as the standby parasitic power drains batteries needlessly.

7 minutes ago, waterskier_1 said:

I'm no at the computer right now, but on many coaches all you need do is remove a fuse in the FRB to disable thr ignition inhibit signal.

- Rick N

I Checked the large fuse panel in my front drivers side electrical bay and there is a 7.5 amp fuse for TV Ignition Relay.  It is one of the fused listed under the ignition part of the fuse panel. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, LaPalma 34PDD said:

Craig, 

Just read this so sorry if its irrelevant now. The guy who owned my coach before me installed a 12 volt dc to 110 ac convertor behind the front TV and plugged the TV into this. Pretty simple and quick fix. 

Kind of an extreme measure just to watch TV while driving.  It would be much easier to simply pull the fuse that controls the relay.  Absent that, just bypass the relay at the outlet where the TV plugs into.

I did install a small inverter for my front TV on a previous coach, but I did that only so that I didn't have to run the large main inverter when dry camping.  BTW, inverters take low voltage (typically 12 volts) DC and change it to higher voltage (typically 110 volts) AC, while converters take 110 Volts AC and change it to a lower (typically 12 Volts) DC.  Note that in the standard definition, a converter doesn't charge batteries too.  That would be a battery charger. 

-Rick N.

Appreciate all the replies… what I discovered was if I have my generator running prior to starting the coach the TV will stay on. Obviously if drive without the generator being on I’m out of luck. So for now all Is well. Thanks again for all the comments. 

On 6/7/2023 at 4:35 PM, CraigMac said:

2006 Diplomat…..I’m aware that it’s illegal to drive with the front TV on but besides that what has others done to bypass the ignition kill. I’ve read elsewhere to disconnect a red wire that’s attached to the outlet. I’ve taken mine apart and there is no such wire. I’ve also read to change out the current outlet with a regular 120v. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

IMG_7214.jpeg

Been batting this one around.  This is a drawing of the 2006 "block" electrical diagram as well as the electrical system.  It was posted on another topic.

NOW....LOOK AT IT... I do NOT think that your TV was wired to ONLY come on when the Generator was on...but who knows the logic or if someone sort of "Jimmied" it.

From the print.  There are THREE (or possible depending on the floorplans) outlets up front.  They are fed from a J-box.  The TV/Relay Outlet is a different style that Monaco used or I am familiar with.  My Camelot was a large "Silver" or Galvanized box.  Romex IN and OUT and two 12VDC wires.  The wires were simple.  Turn on the IGNITION...the relay is energized by the 12 VDC wires and the contacts OPEN....it is a NORMALLY closed Relay.  SO...you pull the fuse or CUT THE WIRES....(Guess what I did?).  

NOW, the pictures that folks posted show some outlets and they MAY have some 12 VDC wires in the back.  I have never seen a TV/Relay Receptacle...but Google seems to be a friend.  There is typically ONE STYLE.  It has a SINGLE (one plug in receptacle) and is labeled as TV LOCKOUT IGNITION RELAY.  BIG LABEL.  BUT the block diagram shows a TWO GANG (two 120 VAC) receptacles.  EITHER Monaco engineering draftsman was lazy or uninformed and just put in a standard outlet and then labeled it...as this a BLOCK.  BUT, shooting that theory down...the Microwave one below show a one-holer. 

SO...this is all I can provide unless someone has the exact print on it.  We have requested the 2006 prints from @Gary M

I would reach out to him via a PM and see if you can get the prints.  Then sort through them and maybe the location of the infamous LOCKOUT Relay will be clear...

That's it...

2006 Diplomat AC Wiring.pdf