Electric Toliet

dkelly
Go to solution Solved by jacwjames,

Greetings All.  My electric toliet with two blue buttons on the right side (one for flushing and one to add water) has stopped working.

The toliet went thru a cycle of continuous  flushing with the drain opening and closing without pressing the button.  Now, when you press either button. nothing happens.

I greatly appreciate your input

• Solution

Do you know the make model of the toilet?  Does it look like this  https://www.thetford.com/product/aria-deluxe-ii/

I know that on mine I have an inline fuse in the wiring behind the toilet and there is also a fuse in the fuse panel.

The older toilets had a problem with the circuit board malfunctioning causing it to flush continuously but not open the gate valve causing the toilet to overflow.  They have come out with a new circuit board that limits the flushed to 10 then stops.  You then have to press the flush button again to fill the bowl more. 

We had this toilet, it worked and then it started this nonsense. Replaced the electronics. Then the button, then the valve slide. Then it blew the electronics module AGAIN! Just put in the porcelain front pedal Aria. Ended all the nonsense,much quieter and it’s simple but residential quality. Sigh of relief. 
Thetford 34429 Aqua Magic Style Plus White High China Bowl https://a.co/d/ck4ii0I

We have this toilet, Three years ago it stopped flushing after intermittently flushing for a couple of months.  Control board located inside the side of the toilet was bad.  It's a plug and play so only had to remove s rows from floor, turn it slightly then remove and replace control board.  After several inquiries found the control board out of stock most places, some had been waiting 6 months or more for stock.  Looked on Amazon, found it for two different prices, only had one in stock, quickly purchased it, had it in 4 days.  Took 1/2 hour to replace, has worked well since.  Also replaced the rusted screws to secure it to the floor with stainless.   Good luck finding the board.  FYI, if you cannot find the board and was to replace the toilet check xeveral sites for prices then check  Northwest RV Supply, Eugene, OR.  At the time their price was $600 less than most others.  They might have the control board as well.

Sounds like a stuck switch.  If you're handy . . . .

One of my buttons stopped working (fortunately the one that fills with water).  I CAREFULLY disassembled the switch assembly, found an assortment of surface mounted switches on Amazon, soldered one in place, re-assembled and Bob's yer uncle!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MRP025V/

Now if you're not handy, maybe you can find someone who is.  For $8.99 it's a lot cheaper than a new board . . . . *IF* that's the problem.  🤞

- bob 

We had this toilet, it worked and then it started this nonsense. Replaced the electronics. Then the button, then the valve slide. Then it blew the electronics module AGAIN! Just put in the porcelain front pedal Aria. Cost $435. Ended all the nonsense,much quieter and it’s simple but residential quality. Sigh of relief. 
Thetford 34429 Aqua Magic Style Plus White High China Bowl https://a.co/d/ck4ii0I

• 6 months later...

I'm glad I started following this string. Our Thetford crapped itself.  (haha)  The seal failed and it leaked pretty bad. I removed the commode, took out all the tile so the wood could dry out. Nearly dry. I put the commode on the bench only to find multiple leaks, the flapper mechanism bolts rusted to the point of 2 of them breaking. Not sure how that would come out. We really loathe this push button monstrosity, so I'd like to swap it with a foot pedal or one with a handle. (either way, no more electronics)

Problem is, all I'm finding are high rise units and ours already sits on a riser of sorts. Kind of a step, I guess. 

Could someone please link me to the other strings dealing with a changeout? I would prefer to not have to change the flange, if I don't have to. I did see somewhere that someone said the flange may be threaded, but I have not tested mine yet. 

I'm a little concerned about getting this done before the big RV show which starts on the 16th. 

Any help/guidance would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks.

Russell

We too have a Sealand Magnum Opus which we have been pleased with however... we had an issue back in the fall where we had it fail in the open position.  We eventually found it merely needed resetting which was found in an online manual.  I had thought it needed a new card or flapper but was unpleasantly surprised no parts were available for it as it is an obsolete model (in our case 20yrs old).  It is a quality toilet and I don't look forward to eventually replacing it due to the parts issue.

@Bruce S If your control board fails, a very valued member here has designed and built a new style control board for the Magnum Opus. His name is Paul Whittle.

There are a few parts still available like seals, etc. but they are getting less every day.

The best part is that these high quality toilets seldom fail. I put one in my previous Windsor and it is still working today. I never had to replace any part from the day I installed it in 2010 until the day I sold the coach. The new owner had to replace the control board this past year and he purchased it from Paul.

• Like 1

Thank you Richard.  Much appreciated.  Like you, I am very pleased with our toilet so far and I am pretty sure the previous owners didn't have any issues.  When we had our problem we were about 2000 miles from home and I was not inclined to change it out on the fly... and we did not always have good internet access for research.  At least it failed open and not closed...  I will contact Paul should the need arise.  🙂