Steps won't pull back in - 2005 Dynasty

Go to solution Solved by Tom Cherry,

On my 2005 Dynasty the entry steps will not pull back in.  The RV has set in my garage for about 3 weeks with the steps out.  I went out this morning to move the RV out for preparation for an upcoming trip.  I was ready to pull out of the garage and my warning light on the steps out did not go out.  I tried the switch on the passenger side armrest with no response.  I have searched the wiring diagrams and found that there are a few fuses in the armrest that should be there for the step control.  After accessing the armrest I could only find one 5A fuse that was fine.  I checked the voltage across the 5A fuse holder contacts and found no voltage.  The remaining fuses are a mystery.  I cannot see them in the armrest.  My wiring diagrams do not show the source for the 12V supply.  There may be a fuse that supplies this/these circuits that is blown further upstream.

Has anyone had this problem and how was it diagnosed?  How can I check to see if 12V power is applied directly to the step that the step will operate?

If I can't resolve this before my trip is there a way to mechanically operate the step to allow me to get on with the trip?

I appreciate any help I can get.

Bob

You checked the two wires on the magnet switch at the slam side (mine is very poorly hooked up) and the magnet never broke off the screen door?

Edited by BradHend

• Solution

Here is the original instructions for your step....or at least I think so.  If you have the COACH STEP.  I think, but might be wrong, that they supplied the single and two (3) step models for the Dynasty. IF this is NOT the correct one, then look in the file (big case) that hopefully you have that came with the Dynasty.  You can also look under the steps to see if the frame and the controller look the same.

IF you have the CoachStep, then you probably have the original CoachStep controller (Factory in Texas).  Lippert bought them out and moved to Indiana.  They discovered a design flaw in the module.  It could get Moisture in it and they then "potted" or sealed the module. That was the only change.

Somewhere along the way, Lippert bought Kwikee....and then merged them.  

FWIW, if you have the CoachStep multiple step model, I THINK they were recalled for fear of a stud or a bushing or nut weld failing.  Many folks have these and inspected theirs....

As the the Movement....there is a proximity switch that also gets wet and fails. Read the manual. 

NOW, the WARNING.  If the steps MOVE a bit but never LOCK IN.  DISREGARD ALL USE.  That means the plastic drive gear in the motor has stripped.  That is dangerous as the step will collapse or move when weight is put on and many of us are a bit older and don't have the FALL PREVENTION reflexes.  Tie it off with a bungee.

You MIGHT lube up the step with TriFlow or even WD40 and then sort of tap on the linkage with a hammer.  If the linkage is dry or needs some "motivation", it might clear up....

Good Luck

CoachStepElectric - Instructions - Stromberg Carlson.pdf

There was a thread in the last week for troubleshooting the steps (model not specified).

I attached the Kwikee trouble shooting guide and most of it should be similar. Even though the brand name is different keek in mind that Lippert bought Coach Step and rebranded anded it to Kwickee.

Lippert still supports Coach Step and you can call them as well.

My motor became sporadic and finally quit. I replaced the motor which was a left passenger door window from several Lincoln, and ford cars from 1999 to 2004. $98.00 lippert sent me a 300.00 motor and Walter another big chunk of money for an adapter wiring harness. Would have been over $600. Plus lots of work. Still working after 3 years. Good luck.

pbusch

• Like 1

It is on my computer at home and we will not be home until the end of next week. Sorry about that.

All I can suggest that you check the Lippert website for their Kwikee steps user manual. They might just have the file posted.

• Tom Cherry changed the title to Steps won't pull back in - 2005 Dynasty
31 minutes ago, Martinvz said:

It is on my computer at home and we will not be home until the end of next week. Sorry about that.

All I can suggest that you check the Lippert website for their Kwikee steps user manual. They might just have the file posted.

Maybe a bit easier said than done.  Here are two links.  One is how to identify your steps….that Model number should be in the build sheet….or on the steps.

https://lci-support-doc.s3.amazonaws.com/quickreferences/ccd_0001828.pdf

Next up.  How to trouble shoot….but it is heavily, at least to me, dependent on knowing which model or series you have.

https://www.phoenixusarv.com/fckimages/pdf/Kwikee electric step manual.pdf

NOW for a more detailed…., if you know the PN or Model….then LIPPERT has a webpage full of instructions.

https://support.lci1.com/kwikee-steps

Good thing Hansel and Grettal had simpler instructions…..LOL.  BUT this should get you to the right manual if the generic doesn’t help…

@Frank McElroy  You might review the above and see if these need to be put into a single “Everything on Front Steps” file.  I posted the generic Lippert/Coachstep manual for mine that covers single and dual steps….as far as trouble shooting….your call.  Scroll up for my PDF to add…

Well, I took the steps apart mechanically and reassembled them which didn't help.  While I was under there I took the opportunity to lube everything in sight.  Then I went to the switches in the door frame that are operated by the magnets on the door as the trouble shooting guide suggested.  The switches are sealed units so I could only clean the housings and reinstall them.  I reassemble everything and magically the steps work correctly again.  I don't know what the actual solution was but these few steps resolved the problem.

I appreciate all the help that you guys offered.  Without this website I would be lost!  It is great knowing that there are folks out there who can and will offer to help when things don't work right.

Thank you..Thank you!

Bob

2 minutes ago, Bob R said:

Well, I took the steps apart mechanically and reassembled them which didn't help.  While I was under there I took the opportunity to lube everything in sight.  Then I went to the switches in the door frame that are operated by the magnets on the door as the trouble shooting guide suggested.  The switches are sealed units so I could only clean the housings and reinstall them.  I reassemble everything and magically the steps work correctly again.  I don't know what the actual solution was but these few steps resolved the problem.

I appreciate all the help that you guys offered.  Without this website I would be lost!  It is great knowing that there are folks out there who can and will offer to help when things don't work right.

Thank you..Thank you!

Bob

Glad it worked out and the troubleshooting guide was useful.  You may be fine….and hope you are.  But don’t ignore any movement where they do not lock in.  Lots of techs say to whack the motor to reseat the magnets.  That means the double stick tape or adhesive has failed….due to vibration….and odds are…will happen again.

You may have had a bad connection.  I did the same thing….got a new controller with extended warranty.  Opps a few days later….no movement.  Called the tech.  Clean or plug and unplug a few times the connectors….i had some NoAlox…like a toothpaste with aluminum fines in it for improvement of conductivity.  Also reduces corrosion.  That fixed it circa 2014.  Motor died in 2021…so you never know.

Just be aware and monitor….I’m more concerned about falls and personal safety as mine retracted and my light weight GD was not hurt….my wife….maybe not so lucky.  I took mine out of service and put in a new motor…

Thanks for the heads up on the possibility of a repeat of this problem and on the advice regarding the safety issue of a failed step.

I’ll keep this in mind during my current trip and I will plan on a better fix when I return home.

In the maintenance records from the previous owner, the magnets have been replaced a couple of times, I purchased a set of spares and added them to my “spare parts bucket”. Just an idea.

Thank you the links Tom!

Edited by Jdw12345

10 minutes ago, Jdw12345 said:

In the maintenance records from the previous owner, the magnets have been replaced a couple of times, I purchased a set of spares and added them to my “spare parts bucket”. Just an idea.

Thank you the links Tom!

Very welcome.  Helping people and giving the resources to help themselves is a TWOFER.  It helps them learn...and they can assist others....and it also keeps many of us that are active participants from having to go into the gory details....and the posts are simpler and others learn.

• Thanks 1

I have the same coach. Faced the same trouble. The door magnet is supplied with 10 cm wire. Then Monaco Connect them to coach wireing with scrimp connectors. Wireing are covered by split loom.. lot of dirt and water from the steering wheel accumulate in this room until the scrimp connector corode and connection go bad. Monaco have used such connection a lot of places where common sense tel waterproof connectors to be used.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Dynasty said:

I have the same coach. Faced the same trouble. The door magnet is supplied with 10 cm wire. Then Monaco Connect them to coach wireing with scrimp connectors. Wireing are covered by split loom.. lot of dirt and water from the steering wheel accumulate in this room until the scrimp connector corode and connection go bad. Monaco have used such connection a lot of places where common sense tel waterproof connectors to be used.

Many, myself included, have used the “metallic” toothpaste or cleaned the male and female connectors and used “bulb grease” to keep them working.

• 1 month later...

Well I had to use one of the magnets last week that I purchased previously, we left Cody last Thursday and the steps would not retract, tested with a magnet I had in my tools and then the steps retracted, installed a new magnet on the door and back in business!