Residential Fridge replacement nightmare

Chargerman

So we finally decided to replace our original Fridgedaire side by side due to the continuous compressor clunking. Pulled drivers window and overhead cabinet and captains chair. Figured the worst part of the disassembly was behind me. Pulled the doors off of the fridge, disconnected and pulled it out only to discover that you cannot get the fridge out. It hits the opposing wall while still being in the cabinet by a good 3”. Now have to disassemble the opposing wall. OMG!! 

B0D3EA0D-4D14-4507-8675-AA8AEFBAC423.jpeg

Guest Ray Davis

Now that's what I call having fun in the coach.   NOT   

Have you looked at the compressor mounts?  You might be able to do something with the frig in place.  That is if you have the traditional access from outside.

Chargerman - What a bummer! We just replaced ours for the same reason (clunking). It was really tight but we were able to twist the fridge in the opening enough to clear & get it out. Must have made a slight change in interior construction b/t a 06 Dynasty & Executive. 

IMG_0420.jpeg

33 minutes ago, Chargerman said:

So we finally decided to replace our original Fridgedaire side by side due to the continuous compressor clunking. Pulled drivers window and overhead cabinet and captains chair. Figured the worst part of the disassembly was behind me. Pulled the doors off of the fridge, disconnected and pulled it out only to discover that you cannot get the fridge out. It hits the opposing wall while still being in the cabinet by a good 3”. Now have to disassemble the opposing wall. OMG!! 

B0D3EA0D-4D14-4507-8675-AA8AEFBAC423.jpeg

Assume this was OEM res refer

16 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

I'm with Dr4Film,  My first thought was to put a new blade in the reciprocating saw and cut the fridge into 4 pieces.  The EPA might not like that solution, but hopefully they are to busy chasing gas stoves to care about it.

image.jpeg.2feb7283494bfec387e69e6e1e67f899.jpeg

Ditto Dr4Film's suggestion. Unless you have so plan to use the old fridge elsewhere it will be much easier to cut the old fridge in 1/2 with a recep-saw and take it out in two prices than take apart the opposite wall and try to rebuild it. NOTE: make sure your replacement fridge will fit in the "hall" and install in the space, and that the doors will open once installed with out hitting the opposite wall. I just went through this exercise in out 2005 Safari Cheetah when our Norcold 1200 died. Because of aour floor plan I need a fridge with 52" max with the doors open at 90 deg,. which limits the width on a single or double door unit to 26". French door and side by side units would be preferable but height becomes an issue as I am limited to 64" I have to rebuild the floor. It turns out I am limited to only two choices unless I want to do some serious carpentry. ALSO: to save your floor, put the fridge on blocks before cutting so you will have access to the bottom as well as the sides and top.

Ok. First of all, thanks to everyone for the repairs and input. The old fridge compressor mounts were ok. The issue was that one or more of the internal springs must have failed and the repetitive clunking was getting worse. I did think of cutting up the fridge but since the new fridge was exactly the same dims I still would have an issue. After seeing Marks post I gave it another try but wiggling and turning it and it did come out. Thank God!  It’s amazing how close they figured the dons as it is clear that a unit that was an inch deeper or 1/4” wider would not get in there. All went well after that and the new fridge is in place. Just have to connect the water and push it all the way in and secure it and then reassemble the pilots area. 

86AD3217-E80D-43B4-A57B-9361CD819ABD.jpeg

E2D0168E-FEE9-48F9-85D7-210C8E5EAF64.jpeg

89CFA5BF-891A-4D57-A338-8A2B1622574A.jpeg

58A4A2D1-1D06-4C7C-8F99-952F23D935B8.jpeg

• Like 2

Steve, when I replaced my fridge, I built a platform over the steering wheel and across the front. Since my fridge was over a furnace, I built a ramp and another platform to get it to the right elevation and just push it in. Kept one member of the team in the bedroom so he could help slide it in. The 1/2 bath was across from the fridge.

Gary 05 AMB DST

1 hour ago, Gary 05 AMB DST said:

Steve, when I replaced my fridge, I built a platform over the steering wheel and across the front. Since my fridge was over a furnace, I built a ramp and another platform to get it to the right elevation and just push it in. Kept one member of the team in the bedroom so he could help slide it in. The 1/2 bath was across from the fridge.

Gary 05 AMB DST

Wow Gary, your floor plan sounds like mine (Cheetah 40dst). What model did you end up going with?