Slide floor plywood

Good morning and Happy 4th !!

Can anyone steer me in the right direction for sourcing the plywood floor for my large slide. 12’ long single piece covered in white plastic or vinyl. I called Rev and they claim they don’t have that information. The floor is too far gone to try to epoxy or anything so a full replacement is needed. Thank you 

Jeff, is it 1/2 "? I googled 12' plywood and they do make it 1/2", but I have never seen it in any lumber yard or home improvement store.  May be because I wasn't looking for it.  I would recommend cdx, exterior grade if the have it, in the event you have water ever infiltrate your coach.

1 minute ago, Wrayj1 said:

Jeff, is it 1/2 "? I googled 12' plywood and they do make it 1/2", but I have never seen it in any lumber yard or home improvement store.  May be because I wasn't looking for it.  I would recommend cdx, exterior grade if the have it, in the event you have water ever infiltrate your coach.

I didn’t measure exact but it’s around 1-1/8 to 1-1/4 thick 

Jeff, I do know that there is 1 1/8" plywood that is typically 4 x 8, usually used as subflooring in construction.  I googled 1 1/8" x 12 ft, but not get any hits on it.  You might ask your lumber yard or big box store if they can get it.  I suspect it will be expensive.

Just now, Wrayj1 said:

Jeff, I do know that there is 1 1/8" plywood that is typically 4 x 8, usually used as subflooring in construction.  I googled 1 1/8" x 12 ft, but not get any hits on it.  You might ask your lumber yard or big box store if they can get it.  I suspect it will be expensive.

Yeah, I couldn’t find it. I found some pvc and different things but nothing specific for what I need. Someone, somewhere makes this. 

Manufacturers of oversize sheets of marine plywood are almost nonexistence. Alternatives include a product called PUZZLE WOOD; it's made of marine grade. plywood and CNC machined to create interlocking pieces like a picture puzzle. 

Just now, Cubflyer said:

If what you need is in fact 1” plus thick I would think you could laminate multiple sheets of (11/32”?) plywood together, staggering the joints to create a 12’ length…. But that’s just a guess…

That’s what I plan to do if I can’t find this 

38 minutes ago, Jim Byrd said:

Manufacturers of oversize sheets of marine plywood are almost nonexistence. Alternatives include a product called PUZZLE WOOD; it's made of marine grade. plywood and CNC machined to create interlocking pieces like a picture puzzle. 

Thank you, I’ll look into it 

Jeff,  you could buy a sheet of 4 x 8 x 1 1/8 tongue and grove and piece together to make it 12' .  If your slide is 2' or less wide/deep you would only need one sheet.  This is what is used for subfloor in new construction.  I thi k it's OSB, which is very water resistant.  I put a chunk of it in a bucket water, left it for two weeks, it didn't swell at all.

2 minutes ago, Wrayj1 said:

Jeff,  you could buy a sheet of 4 x 8 x 1 1/8 tongue and grove and piece together to make it 12' .  If your slide is 2' or less wide/deep you would only need one sheet.  This is what is used for subfloor in new construction.  I thi k it's OSB, which is very water resistant.  I put a chunk of it in a bucket water, left it for two weeks, it didn't swell at all.

Yes that is another option for sure. My mind is swirling with options. If I did that would you suggest just reusing the plastic covering?

Is the plastic on top of the plywood?  I think trying to put it back, as much as possible, would be advisable.  Having the plastic may be needed to make the slide align with the floor of the coach when the slide is deployed.

4 minutes ago, Wrayj1 said:

Is the plastic on top of the plywood?  I think trying to put it back, as much as possible, would be advisable.  Having the plastic may be needed to make the slide align with the floor of the coach when the slide is deployed.

It’s on both sides of 1/16 thick or so 

Sounds like the bottom piece might help the slide glide over the edge of the main floor of the coach.  Hopefully you can save the plastic to reuse it?  Maybe adhere it tk the pkywood with a spray adhesive.

• Like 1

There is a company in Indiana ( Elkhart area ) that sells slide flooring. It comes with the laminate already vacuumed bonded to the plywood. For the life of me I cannot remember the name of the company. You will have to do a heavy google search. You will need to know what slide floor this is - raised floor or flush floor. If it is a flush floor then you will need to order a floor with the 30 degree bevel on the inside edge.

If it is a flush floor then to arrive at a professional installation the slide will HAVE to be pulled. This floor is installed and screwed from the bottom. There is not enough clearance on the inside edge to accomplish this with the slide in place. Also if it is a flush floor and you locate some plywood you will HAVE to cut a 30 degree bevel on the inside edge. This floor has to have this bevel or you will knock the glide bar off and at that point you are talking even bigger money.

Lazy Days in Wildwood specializes in replacing floors. They have a huge slide pulling machine. Last I knew a large slide floor replacement was around $ 8,000 - 10,000. If you have a full wall slide the cost can run up to $ 20,000. This is why I have hammered into peoples heads to check their slides often. This is also why I invented the Guardian Plate system. If owners catch the floor rot early it can be a $ 1,000 or less fix.

Just a couple other tid-bits here. If you find the company that sells the flooring be prepared for hefty shipping costs. It HAS to come by semi. Also, if you are replacing a flush floor it has to be one solid piece of plywood. It cannot be seamed or overlaid. I re-worked my flush floor slide and seamed it. It was a prototype job I designed. It has held up well with no issues over the last 5 years but it is very complicated and took some engineering to do it. It also included some specialized stainless plating and fasteners. ( There is no way to explain the process here as it gets very in depth ). While it has performed perfectly, I wouldn't do it to a customers coach as the time and materials involved is expensive and there are risks. If you go to the headache of replacing the floor yourself I would look for Marine plywood.

One other note. If you do have a flush floor and find plywood you will want to laminate it and not paint it or epoxy it. Remember, the entire floor bottom runs across a plastic glide bar. The last thing you want is to go to the headache of replacing the floor and then have a surface that exerts a lot of friction which will make the motor run harder as well as experience the bottom of your new slide floor begin to deteriorate.

If you cannot find the floor supplier in Indiana then you may want to consider calling Lazy Days in Wildwood. Do not contact their service center in Tampa. Their staff does not have the experience nor the machine. Their Wildwood location ( former Monaco service center ) has done a lot of floor replacements. If you want to send me pictures of your floor I maybe able to determine if you really need a new floor. I have installed Guardian plates on some pretty bad floors saving them. Check out some of these.

https://talinman.com/casestudies/

• Like 3

1 hour ago, throgmartin said:

There is a company in Indiana ( Elkhart area ) that sells slide flooring. It comes with the laminate already vacuumed bonded to the plywood. For the life of me I cannot remember the name of the company. You will have to do a heavy google search. You will need to know what slide floor this is - raised floor or flush floor. If it is a flush floor then you will need to order a floor with the 30 degree bevel on the inside edge.

If it is a flush floor then to arrive at a professional installation the slide will HAVE to be pulled. This floor is installed and screwed from the bottom. There is not enough clearance on the inside edge to accomplish this with the slide in place. Also if it is a flush floor and you locate some plywood you will HAVE to cut a 30 degree bevel on the inside edge. This floor has to have this bevel or you will knock the glide bar off and at that point you are talking even bigger money.

Lazy Days in Wildwood specializes in replacing floors. They have a huge slide pulling machine. Last I knew a large slide floor replacement was around $ 8,000 - 10,000. If you have a full wall slide the cost can run up to $ 20,000. This is why I have hammered into peoples heads to check their slides often. This is also why I invented the Guardian Plate system. If owners catch the floor rot early it can be a $ 1,000 or less fix.

Just a couple other tid-bits here. If you find the company that sells the flooring be prepared for hefty shipping costs. It HAS to come by semi. Also, if you are replacing a flush floor it has to be one solid piece of plywood. It cannot be seamed or overlaid. I re-worked my flush floor slide and seamed it. It was a prototype job I designed. It has held up well with no issues over the last 5 years but it is very complicated and took some engineering to do it. It also included some specialized stainless plating and fasteners. ( There is no way to explain the process here as it gets very in depth ). While it has performed perfectly, I wouldn't do it to a customers coach as the time and materials involved is expensive and there are risks. If you go to the headache of replacing the floor yourself I would look for Marine plywood.

One other note. If you do have a flush floor and find plywood you will want to laminate it and not paint it or epoxy it. Remember, the entire floor bottom runs across a plastic glide bar. The last thing you want is to go to the headache of replacing the floor and then have a surface that exerts a lot of friction which will make the motor run harder as well as experience the bottom of your new slide floor begin to deteriorate.

If you cannot find the floor supplier in Indiana then you may want to consider calling Lazy Days in Wildwood. Do not contact their service center in Tampa. Their staff does not have the experience nor the machine. Their Wildwood location ( former Monaco service center ) has done a lot of floor replacements. If you want to send me pictures of your floor I maybe able to determine if you really need a new floor. I have installed Guardian plates on some pretty bad floors saving them. Check out some of these.

Awesome info, thank you. Yes, it is a flush floor one piece with bevel. If your plates work I would be more than happy to do that. The damage is around 16x16 on both corners. If the plates are large enough, could I install them and then epoxy from the top to stiffen up the top side? 

2 hours ago, throgmartin said:

Try this

https://shawinc.com/Newsroom/Press-Releases/Shaw-Announces-New-Product-and-Design-Hub-for-RV-a

if you google RV PLYWOOD FLOORING ELKHART INDANA, lots of hits.  If this doesn’t sound correct to @throgmartin, then call some of the shops that specialize and tell them you are NOT LOCAL  DIY and ask if they know or use the product Chris talked about and who is , typically they will be helpful

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Tom Cherry said:

Try this

https://shawinc.com/Newsroom/Press-Releases/Shaw-Announces-New-Product-and-Design-Hub-for-RV-a

if you google RV PLYWOOD FLOORING ELKHART INDANA, lots of hits.  If this doesn’t sound correct to @throgmartin, then call some of the shops that specialize and tell them you are NOT LOCAL  DIY and ask if they know or use the product Chris talked about and who is , typically they will be helpful

Shaw sells flooring, not composite floors/plywood.

Tom, if you have time maybe you can give a call to Brett Howard and see if he remembers the name of the company. He ordered a lot of slide floors during his time at Alliance. If someone finds the name of the company maybe we can have it added to our supplier/parts list so we don't have to re-visit this 2 years from now. I did multiple searches and could not come up with the name. 🙂

5 hours ago, JeffM31 said:

Awesome info, thank you. Yes, it is a flush floor one piece with bevel. If your plates work I would be more than happy to do that. The damage is around 16x16 on both corners. If the plates are large enough, could I install them and then epoxy from the top to stiffen up the top side? 

The folks at; http://elkhartssi.com/  may be able to give some input to this floor issue and a supplier of the necessary materials.

5 hours ago, JeffM31 said:

Jeff. We can work with you and see if it isn't something we can plate. We are closed this week for staff vacations and the holiday. On Monday call Bethany and discuss this with her. Be sure you let her know we talked here on the forum. 352-942-2653. In the meantime, do some probing to find out how far the rot extends in from the sides and take a few pictures to send to her via e-mail - bethany@talinrv.com Her and I will review the pictures and I will make a determination. If I can save your floor I will. No promises though. 🙂

• Like 1

3 hours ago, throgmartin said:

Shaw sells flooring, not composite floors/plywood.

Tom, if you have time maybe you can give a call to Brett Howard and see if he remembers the name of the company. He ordered a lot of slide floors during his time at Alliance. If someone finds the name of the company maybe we can have it added to our supplier/parts list so we don't have to re-visit this 2 years from now. I did multiple searches and could not come up with the name. 🙂

Made inquiry….will report back if I get an answer.

1 hour ago, throgmartin said:

Jeff. We can work with you and see if it isn't something we can plate. We are closed this week for staff vacations and the holiday. On Monday call Bethany and discuss this with her. Be sure you let her know we talked here on the forum. 352-942-2653. In the meantime, do some probing to find out how far the rot extends in from the sides and take a few pictures to send to her via e-mail - bethany@talinrv.com Her and I will review the pictures and I will make a determination. If I can save your floor I will. No promises though. 🙂

Will do. You sir are the best