Tow Vehicle Wobble

I have a 2016 Grand Cherokee that we have towed for 7 years with no issues.  Recently, twice while turning a corner at a low speed, the two front tires get out of sync and causes the vehicle to wobble back and forth until I slow to a very slow speed while going straight ahead. We had an ‘11 Cherokee that Jeep had to put a switch in the console and I had to install a fuse in a harness under the hood to correct that issue but didn’t think I would have that problem with the Grand Cherokee. Has anyone else had this problem with a Grand Cherokee?

Tom Gibbens

’15 Dynasty 

Tom I also have a 2016 Grand Cherokee, the steering wobble happens to me once or twice a year. I contacted Jeep in 2019 and they said they were aware of the issue and working on a fix but I’ve heard nothing since. When I make a 90 degree turn I go a little slower, I’ve found that accelerating through the turn will make it occur. Sometimes hitting a bump or a driveway will also do it. What’s happening is the wheels don’t return to straight because there’s to much side pressure during the turn. The system Jeep is using requires power to force the steering fluid to go from chamber to chamber in the pump, but when towing all power is off and the fluid is left to balance itself between the chambers. If there is force against the wheel the fluid is unable to balance itself so the wheels don’t straighten out. The fuse installed on your 2011 provided power to the steering pump to alleviate this issue.

Sorry Tom I didn’t finish my explanation. What I described with the power steering fluid is how all other vehicles work. What Jeep did was trying to do this electronically, there is no power steering fluid in our Jeeps to force the wheels straight, that’s why power is required from your fuse in your 2011.

Guest Ray Davis

We don't have a Jeep but I think I had the wobble on one occasion in our 2012 Equinox.   Going down the interstate it suddenly felt like a wheel was about to come off.  The whole coach shook.  Fortunately, we were in the outside lane so I could immediately pull to the shoulder where I fully expected to see loose lug nuts somewhere.  Found nothing,  for a moment I was at a loss, then I thought was that a death wobble?  I believe that's what it was.  Thankfully, it hasn't happened again.   200k miles on the car so maybe that's a problem but it drives great.  

I have towed a 2010 GC for over 40,000 miles and have never experienced the wobble that many have talked about with newer model Jeeps.

That being said, does that mean newer model Jeeps have electric power steering. Maybe I need to re-think the urge to upgrade!

Edited by GNRACN
Forgot the I after maybe.
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, thomasgibbens said:

I have a 2016 Grand Cherokee that we have towed for 7 years with no issues.  Recently, twice while turning a corner at a low speed, the two front tires get out of sync and causes the vehicle to wobble back and forth until I slow to a very slow speed while going straight ahead. We had an ‘11 Cherokee that Jeep had to put a switch in the console and I had to install a fuse in a harness under the hood to correct that issue but didn’t think I would have that problem with the Grand Cherokee. Has anyone else had this problem with a Grand Cherokee?

Tom Gibbens

’15 Dynasty 

First question is what does the owner’s manual say?  Second question, go to a Jeep dealer and ask them to search for a Technical Service Bulletin on any changes to the protocols.  GM had to do a massive update once for the new models….pull NEGATIVE cable as sometimes the MH’s wiring would turn on the PS Electric motor.

I you have tapped into the tail lights and parking lights circuit and using the Jeep’s bulbs, add or check the diodes.

The other thing, probably not the issue, but many of us have found, there is a lot of play in the Tow Bar drawbar and the MH Receiver.  Some use two clamps to lock in place.  You can order “stabilizing” clamps from Amazon,.  They do a great job and there is less wander in the Toad….really can feel and tell the difference.

• Like 1

I am towing a 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee with a Road Master Falcon tow bar. Twice over the past year I have experienced the wobble you mention. Both times, I was turning left from a full stop at a traffic light. The wobble was so pronounced that the entire coach rocked side to side. What is the resolution - anyone know?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, J Goddard said:

I am towing a 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee with a Road Master Falcon tow bar. Twice over the past year I have experienced the wobble you mention. Both times, I was turning left from a full stop at a traffic light. The wobble was so pronounced that the entire coach rocked side to side. What is the resolution - anyone know?

Generic advice.  @vanwill52 experimented with tow bars and such as he pulls a full size pickup with a big fat "Hog" in the bed.  He actually made a HITCH tightener that was a solid drawbar.  I forget the details.  It was a locking device that held the draw bar (on the tow bar) securely into the receiver so it could not wobble around.

I chose a different approach and it helped greatly on both my Hummer H3 and my 2016 Yukon.  I also use one on my Yukon drawbar when I have my utility trailer on and carry heavy loads or will be picking up stuff and the trailer is empty.  I did adjust the clamp on the utility trailer so there is virtually NO play in the trailer's hitch when locked or cammed in place over the 2" ball.

Hitch Tightener for 1.25" and 2" Hitches LIBERRWAY 304 Stainless Steel Hitch Tightener Anti-Rattle Stabilizer Rust-Free Heavy Duty Lock Down Easy Installation Quiet

I use a Roadmaster clamp, but the above (Amazon) is cheaper and seems to be more well built and heavier duty.  I would order (cheap $13) and then put on the drawbar on the tow bar.  Mine sort of loosen's up some and I finally got out the "stretch" and it is tight.  The Roadmaster "plate" is just a piece of round stock with holes and you can look at it here. Roadmaster 061 Quiet Hitch for 2 Inch Receivers....ON AMAZON for $30 or so.

I like the Double NUT locking.  The nylock nuts on the LIBERRWAY will lose their locking power.  Also, the Fastener Manufacturers (tech support) recommend a FLAT washer as after a lot of testing, the split washer lock nuts loosen.  SO, a pair of double nutted plain washers with a flat washer for bearing is a heck of a lot more vibration resistant.  The only difference is in the application where mine pulls up and back on the drawbar....and the other one clamps it down.

I'd try that to eliminate the play in the tow bar's draw bar....then evaluate.  I assume that you have had your Falcon rebuilt or done it your self.  I had a Falcon just like yours and it had some play in it after maybe 50K of towing.  Roadmaster makes an overhaul kit ($100?) and you can DIY, but it requires a vise and a big Allen socket (1/2" drive) to break the two main fasteners loose.  It DID tighten it up.  The "hitch shop" manager said that mine was almost in need and quoted me a low price (wasn't busy that day) and I had the parts... SO, he did the work...

Yep Tom, I have the Roadmaster 061 Quiet Hitch item. It really does eliminate the slop that is inherent in a 2” receiver. However, it does nothing to address the infamous Jeep wobble. 

• Like 1

I tow a 2016 F150 extended cab with 1240lb Harley Triglide and have experienced the wobble when turning left from a stop a couple times.  Just have to slow to a crawl until it stops and then proceed down the road with no wobble.  First time it happened was quite a shock and thought I had a flat tire on the RV.  I use  blue ox tow system.

Hi All,

I just returned from a trip with a 2020 GC Trail Hawk in tow and it was almost the worst trip we have taken in our rig. We experienced several things on our trip with 30-35 mph side winds, truck ruts and crowns on the road. Since we have been home and before I have following and reviewing the various posts on wander and now this thread. 

On our Trail Hawk, the procedure to tow 4 down is much in the same as it has been in the past with other Jeeps by putting the transfer case into neutral (exact steps not posted) but the difference is we also have to set the air suspension of the Trail Hawk in "Normal Ride Height", so the suspension allows the front tires to clear the fenders. 

I have checked my diodes since I am using the existing bulbs for signals and brakes. 

Bob B, where did you find out about the harness that you mentioned in the post? Can you share a part number? 

I am planning on making several other test trips to try to determine what else can be the problem with the rig configuration we are using. 

Thanks, Jim

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, the Jeep has an issue with "death wobble".  This is not related to be towed.

Quite honestly, I don't think Stellantis has nailed down root cause, and / or hasn't published a solution.

The last Jeep I had the Corporate repair facility put a steering dampener on it to cure.  I personally think that was a band aid.

If it were my Jeep, I would look real close for any loose joints in the steering that is allowing the wheels to have a mind of their own.

And to check the alignment is right at spec.  I have a sneaking suspicion that some have too little caster which makes it prone to wobble.

But that's just a thought.

If I can get online with my ole' TechConnect system, I will check if there is a TSB or Star Center bulletin to address.  But I would think that the Corporate Repair would have checked for this (hopefully).

Edited by DavidL

On 7/6/2023 at 11:30 AM, GNRACN said:

I have towed a 2010 GC for over 40,000 miles and have never experienced the wobble that many have talked about with newer model Jeeps.

That being said, does that mean newer model Jeeps have electric power steering. Maybe I need to re-think the urge to upgrade!

Yes. I went to the local Jeep Dealed and he pulled up the build card on my GC. He said it had the electric power steering and all Jeeps with electric power steering are prone to wobble. He said to have a switch mounted in the console and an inline fuse holder added under the hood to put power to the steering when towed!

Hi Tom,

Unfortunately I have lots of experience with the dreaded "Death Wobble"

See here of details and photos of what can happen:

Because that year Cherokee and Grand Cherokee are marketed and advertised as Flat-towing ready (and they clearly are not without the expensive modifications)  Jeep corporate should pay for the fix (about $500+), although they will fight you..

Let me know if I can be of help.

- John Taylor