Identify drain, leaking next to black drain tube

Moiras

Hi Guys,

I have a good leak when the water pump is on or on city water.  This is mid-coach.  Going from outboard to inboard--the first drain is the fresh water tank drain, then 2 drains for the low point aqua hot and then there is this single black drain near what looks like a board running the lengthwise of the coach.  This leak is coming from right next to that black drain tube.  If I had to guess I would say it is underneath the aqua hot area.  Anybody have any ideas?

20230705_113812.jpg

20230705_121002.jpg

I had a similar problem two weeks ago. I found that my Sure-Flo pump had a tiny pinhole in the plastic end cap. It was spraying a very fine mist that was hard to see. After a few hours, there was a lot of water in the bay next door, because that was the direction it was spraying. On my Monaco, the shore water runs through the pump. I imagine yours is the same way. I installed a new pump and and the problem was solved. 

Edited by Doug and Nicki

If it's coming from the Aqua Hot enclosure you need to remove the upper half of the Aqua Hot stainless steel cover and see where it's coming from.  

These older Aqua Hot units have the copper tubing wound around the outside of the boiler.  They tend to develop leaks which requires either replacing the tubing or replacing the boiler assembly.  

Good luck!

I have not checked the aqua hot panel.  I will have to look into that.

I didnt think my city water ran through my pump but i didnt see a problem there but ill take a second look. 

Does it matter that i am not and havent used the aqua hot?  Im having a bad feeling about this.

This is what the underside of the boiler looks like.  The copper tubing on the bottom is exposed next to the exhaust port.  (On the newer Aqua Hot boilers, the tubing is on the inside of the boiler.)

Any time you turn water pressure on to the coach (onboard pump or shore water) the Aqua Hot loop is pressurized.  

Old Boiler underside pic.jpg

Oh boy.  This may take a few days. We r currently on the road. Ill need to get somewhere before i tear into that.  My exhaust port is on the drivers side. I havent peaked under there yet because of all the water.  Just looking at the size and color of the drain, it looks like the top right drain in your pic.  The leak is right next to the drain tube a inch or 2.

Guest Ray Davis
9 hours ago, Moiras said:

Oh boy.  This may take a few days. We r currently on the road. Ill need to get somewhere before i tear into that.  My exhaust port is on the drivers side. I havent peaked under there yet because of all the water.  Just looking at the size and color of the drain, it looks like the top right drain in your pic.  The leak is right next to the drain tube a inch or 2.

Until you can sort this out what I would do is I would refrain from hooking to the park faucet.  Instead, I would use water from the freshwater tank and turn the pump off when not in use.  Hopefully, this will minimize the amount of water leaking.

18 hours ago, Moiras said:

Does it matter that i am not and havent used the aqua hot?  Im having a bad feeling about this.

IMHO it doesn't matter,  I would go ahead and turn the aqua hot on when you need it.

Your bad feeling is warranted, hopefully, it's just a feeling and not a bad boiler.

If you really don't need the aqua hot right now,  find your manoblock ( sp ) water manifold and see if you can isolate the aqua hot.

BTW,  IIRCC some units had a plastic fitting that will crack.  I can't recall where to look, maybe someone will. 

1 hour ago, Ray Davis said:

If you really don't need the aqua hot right now,  find your manoblock ( sp ) water manifold and see if you can isolate the aqua hot.

Unfortunately the Aqua-Hot is not part of the Manobloc System. So it cannot be isolated. The only way to isolate the Aqua-Hot is to have a ball valve on the hot water line going INTO the Aqua-Hot boiler area.

Edited by Dr4Film

Guest Ray Davis
44 minutes ago, Dr4Film said:

Unfortunately the Aqua-Hot is not part of the Manobloc System. So it cannot be isolated. The only way to isolate the Aqua-Hot is to have a ball valve on the hot water line going INTO the Aqua-Hot boiler area.

Thanks, Richard.

I have repaired a couple of leaking fittings that leaked out the drain hole, and a hose also. Mine is 23 years old and the pex clamps seem to be coming loose. Very hard for me to see, after I remove the covers. Aquahot antifreeze dripping on ground, or low fluid in overflow tank are my warnings...easy to remove my top and bottom covers. 6 Philips screws. Good luck

40' Diplomat, 600D01 aquahot

21 hours ago, Moiras said:

I didnt think my city water ran through my pump but i didnt see a problem there but ill take a second look. 

Yes, the city water does run through the water pump.  If you know you have issues with that, that is where I would begin.

Remember that heating of domestic water (i.e., hot water at the sinks and shower) is performed by the Aquahot, even when you don't need to heat the coach.

-Rick N.

On the older aqua hot units there was a plastic drain fitting on the lower left of the unit that was notoriously known to fail. I replaced my drain fitting with a metal pipe with a valve to allow draining the coolant.

There are plastic fittings used on the water in and the water out fittings that leaked. I replaced these with standard water supply flex connectors.

The lower RIGHT of the aqua hot was where the drain fitting was located

Well thank you guys, currently i am in a gravel lot and i cant get under the coach.

I bought a selfie stick so i can take pictures of stuff in this coach.

We are not hooked up to water and i havent been using the pump much.  Its also very hot.  So give me a couple weeks and ill get back to you all, i promise.

Moira

• 1 month later...

Ok, well it was not as serious as i feared.  The leak was coming from the pressurized side of the pump where the clear tube to pex tube were connected.

But i thank you all because i didnt know the aquahot was pressurized all the time. Or it couldnt be isolated.  I think that sounds like a good winter project!

You guys are the best!

• Like 1

So it had nothing to do with the Aqua-Hot at all. The leak was actually on the output side of the pump and running to an exit point.

How is it that it was leaking when the pump wasn't pressurized? You may have an additional problem to solve that one.

The pump gets water from a non-pressurized supply tank.

Still confused.