Loosing water pressure

thompson_skip
Go to solution Solved by thompson_skip,

Shower faster?

Are you on campground water or from your water pump?  If on board pump I'd check for sediment building up in the screen at the pump . . . or in the shower head. 

Does it happen if you run the sink for a while?

Does it happen on hot only, cold only . . . . both?

- bob

• Like 1

4 hours ago, thompson_skip said:

Something is going on with my water pressure.  I start a shower with normal pressure,  but while I shower the water pressure goes down until it is just a trickle. Sure is a bummer to run out of water while I try and rinse off. Any suggestions?

I’ve had lower pressure at a CG.  But never run out.  Low pressure or no flow, assuming a good source is sediment buildup and sometimes when the demand (flow) stops, it will fall off or down from whatever it is clogging.  Imalways run a washing machine screen washer.  I have had bugs crawl into the water hose (on my reel).  I always keep a cap on it when not connected.

Do you have an on board or house filter.  Folks sometimes think the better the filtration, the better or such.  A cheap foam  filter or pleated low end carbon (will remove Chlorine) is what I run.  Folks have bought $50 filter elements and then couldn’t shower.  The finer the filter, the quicker the buildup and lower flow and lower internal pressure.

Check the #screen on your water pump.  Disconnect from the CG and use the pump. Same results….restrictions or trash/debris in a line….  Are the other faucets impacted.  If not, time to disassemble the shower control but first, pull the head. Good flow into a bucket….restrictions in head…use a needle and clean or compressed air from front.  Poor flow from pipe….disassemble the valve…

We are on camp ground water, I have cleaned the shower head, the pressure goes down when using the sinks and it does the same thing hot or cold water. I have whole house filters which are new, but that may be the problem. I’m going to take them off and see if that makes any difference. I will also shut off the CG water and just use the pump and see what happens.  Somewhere I read that it could be a check valve, but I don’t see how that could be possible unless the valve was spring loaded which I have never heard of a spring loaded check valve. 

13 minutes ago, thompson_skip said:

We are on camp ground water, I have cleaned the shower head, the pressure goes down when using the sinks and it does the same thing hot or cold water. I have whole house filters which are new, but that may be the problem. I’m going to take them off and see if that makes any difference. I will also shut off the CG water and just use the pump and see what happens.  Somewhere I read that it could be a check valve, but I don’t see how that could be possible unless the valve was spring loaded which I have never heard of a spring loaded check valve. 

Typically, there are two check valves.  One is in the incoming water.  It is buried (on mine) behind the main water or service panel.  That is what prevents the pump from squirting out water from the hose or city connection.  The other is built into the water pump.  That is to prevent the city water from back flowing into the fresh tank.  When it fails, you will see a rise in the level of your fresh tank.

JUST FOR FUN….  Cycle, with pressure (CG) on the city/fill valve.  Then wait.  Disconnect the CG, but leave the hose open.  Turn on the pump.  Should be no back flow or pressure.  Then turn off the pump.  No water from CG hooked up.  Repeat the cycling (5 or so times) of the city fill.  Then….test it again.

Remove the filter elements….  No JOY…then somewhere there is a build up of “something”.  Bugs or whatever….

• Solution

I found my problem 😁😁. Last winter temp got to -5 and my AquaHot burner stopped working and the original blue filter canisters broke, couldn’t believe it!!  I ordered a clear iFilters whole house filter, but it turns out the charcoal filter must not be designed to be moble as I just looked at the filter canisters and the charcoal was 1/2 full of loose charcoal which stopped to flow of water. Took the filter and put in my winterizer bypass pipe and it seems to be good to go😃😃

IMG_8869.jpeg

IMG_8873.jpeg

IMG_8871.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

The water pressure on 'city water 'is ok everywhere except the sink in the main cabin.  With the 'mixer' faucet [tap to some] ' in the middle it is ok.  Move to hot or cold it changes.  When the water is first engaged [especially in the middle] the pressure is fine, it then dissipates. ?

Les

3 hours ago, Les Hurdle said:

The water pressure on 'city water 'is ok everywhere except the sink in the main cabin.  With the 'mixer' faucet [tap to some] ' in the middle it is ok.  Move to hot or cold it changes.  When the water is first engaged [especially in the middle] the pressure is fine, it then dissipates. ?

Les

Take apart the faucette and identify it (probably MOEN).  Needs a new washer kit or “valve assembly”.  May be trash or debris in it. I would also unscrew and replace aerator (up and under the stem).  If you have a pullout spray head, it might need replacing.  Ain’t no fixing them…

1 minute ago, djkantanen said:

I have a Moen with low pressure at the main sink. I can not unscrew the aerator. Don't want to destroy it but it won't budge.

Probably scaled up beyond belief.  If you can rig up a small glass or plastic container using duct tape, zip ties, wire….whatever….over the aerator and end of faucet, soak overnight in CLR and then spray with WD40.

The trash or debris might be in the cartridge or the valve body.  Simple to remove….but you might have to spray some WD40.  GOOGLE the youtube or find the cartridge kit at Ace or Lowes or HD.  When you remove the spout, you can then soak aerator.  Could be either location.

Good luck 

Tom I found the problem was in my new whole house charcoal filter was directional and I had put it wrong. It would help if the manufacturer would put an up arrow on the filter. Anyway the charcoal had come out of the filter cartridge and the loose charcoal was stopping the water flow. Think I have it fixed now. Thanks IMG_8869.thumb.jpeg.c63c1a200c2fcb883146c80f4ceaf861.jpegIMG_8871.thumb.jpeg.d802a807e5e6cdd7d83fd398242f09eb.jpeg

1 hour ago, thompson_skip said:

Tom I found the problem was in my new whole house charcoal filter was directional and I had put it wrong. It would help if the manufacturer would put an up arrow on the filter. Anyway the charcoal had come out of the filter cartridge and the loose charcoal was stopping the water flow. Think I have it fixed now. Thanks IMG_8869.thumb.jpeg.c63c1a200c2fcb883146c80f4ceaf861.jpegIMG_8871.thumb.jpeg.d802a807e5e6cdd7d83fd398242f09eb.jpeg

GREAT. The MH is the only place I use a charcoal filter.  And I buy the cheapest or lowest rated on. I only want to filter out any chlorine taste. I check my pump filter from time to time and have a washing machine washer filter on the fresh and the backwash line. If you get carried away on the whole house ones and get the higher or better filtering, you (or others say...a LOT) will loose pressure. NOW, I don't camp in places in the US where a water softener is needed.

BUT, I do have a Valtera Adjustable Pressure Regulator with Gauge. CW carries them. An INLINE cheapie or even the inline (hose) ones are restrictive.  I should have done that earlier....and my "girls" all agree that they can now shampoo in the shower.  So putting a full flow adjustable filter (set around 55) was one of the best things I did.